Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Living at Home

Living at Home English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Feb 06 2007

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

In some countries, it is customary for children to live with their parents until they get married. In other countries, young adults might go off to college, and then return to live with their parents after they graduate from college.

In the US, most people leave home when they graduate from high school, around the age of 18—and it’s not because they’re getting married. At 18, you are considered a legal adult. You have the right to vote and can join the military if you want to. (But you can’t drink alcohol legally until you are 21!)

Most American teenagers look forward to leaving home, whether they are going to college or just getting their own place to live. And in the US, moving back in with your parents is considered a last resort, something you do only temporarily to save money.

Listen to Kevin and Mason talk about living at home.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kevin

Kevin

Mason

Mason

Kevin:  Would you ever consider moving in again with your parents?

Mason:  No. Not at all. I’ll tell you why.

Kevin:  That’s a strong response.

Mason:  It is a strong response. Because I did it after I graduated college.

Kevin:  Ooh. You did it. How was it?

Mason:  Uh, I moved back home for about six months and it was horrible, uh, because they kept on, like, kind of passive aggressively, like, pushing me, like, “Hey, you getting a job?” Like, “What are you doing today?” (You know, like what are you doing productive?) It’s like, anytime I was… had, like, down time or free time, they interpreted it as like…

Kevin:  You were being lazy.

Mason:  Me being lazy.

Kevin:  Of course.

Mason:  And not, not trying to get out of the house.

Kevin:  Of course.

Mason:  Uh, ‘cause of course, they didn’t want me there, and I didn’t really want to be there, it’s just… it works out financially, you know.

Kevin:  What a drag, though.

Mason:  Seriously. Well, and I’m at a point… my roommate’s gonna move out in a couple months and it’s like, do I move back ‘cause I don’t really have anything else lined up.

Kevin:  No.

Mason:  No, no. Of course I don’t. But it’s kind of that pressure now…

Kevin:  Yeah. Sure.

Mason:  ... to get something lined up. But I would almost, like, I would almost pay too much to live on my own, as opposed to… if I can’t find another roommate…

Kevin:  Yeah.

Mason:  ... than move back home. That’s, that’s how much I learned my lesson.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Mason lived with his parents for a short time after he finished college. It sounds like it was difficult to go from living on his own and having his privacy to being back in his parents’ house. The thing about parents is: they are your parents. They may not approve of how you choose to spend your time. But when you’re living with them, they see everything you do.

Kevin understands that it must have been difficult for Mason. He loves his parents, but doesn’t want to live with them.

When do kids move out of their parents’ house in your country?

Do you live with your parents?

Comments

Ahshan

Ahshan

China

in china you sre considered that you have the abiliy to leave your parents when you get married ,so marrage is a important thing for each chinese .

now i am still living with my parents,and i am still live on them for my college expenses,so i usually feel guilty for such status.

but i love my parents ,filled all thanks to them in the bottom of my heart!

08:11 AM May 25 2010 |

Ahshan

Ahshan

China

in china you sre considered that you have the abiliy to leave your parents when you get married ,so marrage is a important thing for each chinese .

now i am still living with my parents,and i am still live on them for my college expenses,so i usually feel guilty for such status.

but i love my parents ,filled all thanks to them in the bottom of my heart!

08:11 AM May 25 2010 |

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

good lesson :)

01:51 PM Mar 09 2009 |

Natashenka

Natashenka

Russian Federation

flats are very expensive in my country and it is quite customary then  people live with their parents, even after marriage: for axample my sister live with her husbund in his parent`s flat.

04:27 PM Dec 03 2007 |

yancy.yang

yancy.yang

China

I think so

not all people can do this

03:52 PM Aug 07 2007 |

S.T.N.V

S.T.N.V

Italy

you are not suppose to leave home and live on you own when you get 18 in my country,you can live till 30 or so, but usually nobody likes to have his own privacy…

03:15 PM Aug 07 2007 |

lenno

Saudi Arabia

It’s good for american teenagers to leave home becasue they will depends on their self ,but the qustion , is all the teenagers will select the good way?????

02:20 AM Feb 06 2007 |

Likes (83):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast