Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

High School Prom

High School Prom

Date: Apr 24 2007

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Tuxedo: $120. Corsage: $30. Limousine: $75/hour. Taking your beautiful high school sweetheart to prom: Priceless!

Once a year, in towns and cities across America, high school juniors and seniors get all dressed up for the big night out – Prom.

Listen to Kayla and Dave talk about prom.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kayla

Kayla

Dave

Dave

Kayla:  I have prom coming up, and then my best friend, here, um, she and I are just going to go together.

Dave:  Just go, like, stag?

Kayla:  Yeah, only us girls.

Dave:  Good, good.

Kayla:  Because, she doesn’t have a boyfriend here, and she doesn’t want to go alone, and I don’t want to go alone.

Dave:  Yeah.

Kayla:  So we’re just going to go together. But, we go to a school that’s five girls to one guy. So…

Dave:  No kidding!

Kayla:  ...a lot of girls go in just girl groups.

Dave:  So, when you go as a girl group, do you rent a limo? Do you get the dress and the corsage and all that?

Kayla:  Last year, we didn’t do that. We all had dates and we, kind of, went together in one big group. And, we just drove a giant SUV.

Dave:  Okay. Where is prom this year?

Kayla:  I think it’s at the Royal Ballroom. I don’t know. It’s a big deal, they’ll get, like, live bands to come out.

Dave:  Oh, wow.

Kayla:  Yeah, it’s a huge deal now, and there’s confetti and balloons. They spend a lot of money on proms.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Prom is an important rite of passage for high school students in the U.S. The event is held near the end of the school year, usually in May. Boys wear black tuxedos and girls wear formal dresses. It is common for groups of friends to chip in on a limousine to take to the prom.

Recently, some high school students have become disappointed with the cost and hullabaloo of traditional high school proms. In protest to traditional proms, they throw anti-proms where they can have fun without being supervised by school staff.

Comments

Christianny

Brazil

In Brazil we have proms it is very nice..

My own was amazing! i won’t forget it never. But i didn’t danced the waltz, I fleed of it together the boy i was kissing on that day (lol)...

10:57 AM Nov 23 2011 |

Gornwiga

Gornwiga

Thailand

sound fun!! too bad don’t have prom in Thailand

09:26 AM Apr 27 2007 |

Ruff

Ruff

France

OOH i want proms in fraaance!!!!

07:18 PM Apr 24 2007 |

icingblue813

China

If I were in the U.S.I am sure I will like it very much.

03:34 PM Apr 24 2007 |

sunangle

sunangle

China

my partners and i will go out for a short traval in next months .we are looking for a beautiful place.can you give me some advise ?

10:48 AM Apr 24 2007 |

hady

hady

Russian Federation

come on!you must be kidding!)a lot of ados from nothing, why you have to smart up like clown once a year! do it just whenever you want///

09:51 AM Apr 24 2007 |

lyamlf123

lyamlf123

China

Oh,I haven’t join in any proms during my college life.How a pity!

06:59 AM Apr 24 2007 |

somaliland

somaliland

Somalia

This kind of party is emotionaly good for a leisure time,particulary young people.

06:22 AM Apr 24 2007 |

ayenk

ayenk

Indonesia

in my country we don’t have this kind of party.

03:45 AM Apr 24 2007 |

shali

shali

China

I think it’s very interesting

12:03 AM Apr 24 2007 |

teddy008

teddy008

China

Yes,I like it too.The proms is like a big party that young guys can find opposite sex person in it!That’s great!

01:28 AM Apr 05 2006 |

episod

episod

United States

I liked prom. It was fun. Didn’t like the music, but it’s what you make of it. For some reason I ended up dancing with a rubber ducky in my mouth. Why? Who knows. Only at prom.

12:30 AM Apr 04 2006 |

Likes (101):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast