Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Dart on the Map

Dart on the Map English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Nov 03 2009

Themes: Friend, Soap Opera

Grammar: Simple Past Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Everyone’s been so busy starting Internet companies and rival companies, that Beren’s friends didn’t notice she hasn’t been around much lately.

In fact, the last time anyone saw her was when Marni discovered that she has been corresponding with her evil twin who once kidnapped her and tried to steal her identity. Jason saw her leaving this morning with baggage. Hopefully she’s not going to meet up with her sister!

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Marni

Marni

Mason

Mason

Jason:  So, this morning I saw Beren, like, leaving super early with a bunch of luggage. Does anybody know what’s goin’ on with that?

Marni:  You know, I ran into her and she is writing letters to her evil twin in jail.

Jason:  Oh my gosh!

Marni:  Mm-hmm.

Jason:  But isn’t the prison, like, in Nebraska or something?

Marni:  Perhaps that’s why she has all that luggage. Maybe she’s going to stay there? I…This isn’t good.

Jason:  No. Not at all. I wish we had more information about this.

Marni:  I know. I wonder…

Mason:  You know…Hold on a second. Oh yeah! She sent me a text, like, a couple weekends ago. And she was talking with her evil twin and found out that her dad is not her real dad. So she’s, like, you know, goin’...

Jason:  Like a Luke Skywalker kind of situation.

Mason:  Very much so.

Jason:  Whoa.

Mason:  So she’s goin’ to go check that out. That’s her deal.

Jason:  Like, where’s she going?

Marni:  Yeah. I mean, what is she checking out?

Mason:  Let me look back through my chat with her. Uh…You know, it looks like she just kind of threw a dart at the map and thought Arkansas.

Jason:  OK.

Marni:  Arkansas?

Mason:  Don’t know why. But you know, I guess, you know, there may be a lot of ill-gotten children in Arkansas.

Jason:  Well…Wow. That’s quite a quest to undertake based on, you know, just some information from your evil twin.

Marni:  It is. I mean, is it really credible?

Mason:  Well, there’s certainly nothing about an evil twin that isn’t epic. So, I’m gonna assume that’s just kinda gonna set the whole tone for this episode.

Marni:  Hmm.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Past Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni learned that Beren has been writing letters to her evil twin who is in jail for kidnapping her. Jason saw Beren leaving town. They assumed she must be going to visit her sister.

But it turns out that her sister told her that their father is actually someone other than who Beren thought it was. It’s sort of like what happens to Luke Skywalker in Star Wars. Beren sent Mason a text to tell him where she was going, but he forgot about it until now. She didn’t know where to start looking for her father, so she chose Arkansas at random.

Have you ever learned something surprising about who you are and where you came from? Have you ever gone on a quest to look for someone or something? Where did you start?

Comments

mitra.700

mitra.700

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i threw a dart at the map to start my travelling, actually not searching for something or someone just for starting my travelling from somewhere…

11:26 AM Dec 12 2010 |

Jennyuu~

China

Love travelling…

wow~

12:21 PM Nov 26 2009 |

yadmeka

yadmeka

Thailand

Hey English baby friend.

It is the great lesson but when I don't see on that time, I must read subtitle before I will see it.

But I think because it help me to improve English…..

02:53 AM Nov 13 2009 |

jayyy

jayyy

India

great.

03:18 AM Nov 12 2009 |

hassan jaja

Syrian Arab Republic

thank you for all things you do 

11:36 AM Nov 11 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Humm thanks for God in my family hasn't any hidden secrets about it hehe…Yeah soon I will be on a quest in Europe and I will started in Ireland..I have loved the idea in leaving Brazil and knowing new things,culture and people :)

11:22 AM Nov 10 2009 |

sticknotes

sticknotes

Turkey

it's so hard to understand conversations ıf ı don't read subtitle,because of my english.ı must study very very much Cry

11:17 AM Nov 10 2009 |

若北北

若北北

China

That is interesting!

n I like travling.but sometimes it's too tired on the trip.

03:28 PM Nov 07 2009 |

jayyy

jayyy

India

Hello My English baby Friends, Mason, jason and marni…......

I have been watching all your videoes.

Simply superb!

11:49 AM Nov 06 2009 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

wow! 

06:15 AM Nov 06 2009 |

maririn99

maririn99

Japan

I've never done like that about my roots so far now.

Most my trip are dart on the map.I go travel without any information about a goal.

12:17 AM Nov 06 2009 |

tiagon85

Brazil

In fact, all my family live in São Paulo where i´m living too, so i never travelled for kind of Beren´s reason. 

12:11 AM Nov 06 2009 |

mary888

mary888

Jordan

Travelling is so exictingSmile makes us relax from the pressure of routine..especially when u go to rural life to get rid of the pressure of urban life foe a while…I want to go somewhere and I"ll throw the dart on the map..hehehe love u allCool

06:30 PM Nov 05 2009 |

joaco

joaco

Argentina

travelling without any plan is so great!

08:11 PM Nov 04 2009 |

d2lanling

d2lanling

China

i love travel!!.

04:59 AM Nov 04 2009 |

mionfabian

mionfabian

Brazil

About 4 years ago I came alone to Manaus, Brazil. That happened to me for just one reason… My grandmother. All my family didn´t know where she was until that year…

So… when we found out where she was living – manaus, amazonas – I came quickly. I enjoyed that because I hadn't ever traveled to another city… and… I can say now… I really had a great time… I didn´t put a dart on the map… But I think I was with 20 years old a dart on the map… 

oh… And I still here! lol lol 

09:08 PM Nov 03 2009 |

123alana!

123alana!

Dominican Republic

omg

08:02 PM Nov 03 2009 |

zeinabou

zeinabou

Egypt

FORTUNATELY,NO,THANKS GODSmile

06:10 PM Nov 03 2009 |

iwori

iwori

Japan

I've never doubted whether my family and I are real folks because every one says to us,"you are so alike."

I want to go on a quest without planning. I can't know where to go. I will dart on a map. How exciting!

04:38 PM Nov 03 2009 |

r ! f k i

r ! f k i

Indonesia

ow, to ningning and Yomismo..don't worry…i can't even speak Chinese and Spanish Laughing

12:39 PM Nov 03 2009 |

Likes (10):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast