Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Musical Big Foot

Musical Big Foot

Date: May 21 2007

Themes: Music

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The big music festival always seems like a good idea, right? You can see many popular bands in one weekend. For some, it’s the best weekend of the year. But for others the traffic and crowd can be exhausting.

Sasquatch is the biggest music festival near Portland. It’s named after a mythical forest beast (also called “big foot”) because it’s so big that it takes place a couple of hundred kilometers outside of town. Marni and Mason like all the bands that are playing this year, but the size of the festival is a little off-putting to them.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Mason

Mason

Marni:  So are you going to the Saquatch Festival?

Mason:  I don’t know. I mean don’t even know if there are still tickets available.

Marni:  I don’t know either, but…

Mason:  I just kind of got wind of it and it looks awesome.

Marni:  Great lineup. You’ve got Bjork, you’ve got..

Mason:  Beastie Boys are playing…

Marni:  Bad Brains, I love the Bad Brains.

Mason:  Who else is playing…The Arcade Fire is playing…

Marni:  Neko Case...

Mason:  ...some band just got added…

Marni:  Interpol.

Mason:  It’s just one of those things. The list goes on and on.

Marni:  Exactly.

Mason:  And it’s a two-day festival. The tickets are like 55 bucks, 60, 75 bucks even at the most, but even so, you could pay that much to see any one of those bands at a big show.

Marni:  Exactly.

Mason:  How long has Sasquatch been happening?

Marni:  I’m not sure, but here’s what I say, what do you think about the big music festival? Because I have this sort of…I used to love to go to them but now I’m a little older and it seems a little overwhelming.

Mason:  I have a love-hate relationship with the big music festival.

Marni:  Here’s another thing I always hated, all the waste. It’s so you know…it’s so many people, you always see these places getting trashed. I read something really interesting, the Sasquatch festival is carbon-neutral, so they’re raising this whole campaign. It’s all about…you can go on the website and kind of see how they’re doing it, but it’s interesting that that awareness is sort of out there, applying to bigger concert venues where a lot of waste is generated.

Mason:  Nice.

Marni:  Yeah.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni and Mason list many of the bands that are playing the festival, but there are too many playing for them to remember them all. Mason points out that although the tickets cost a lot, it’s a good deal because there are so many bands playing.

But Marni and Mason are in agreement that festivals like Sasquatch can be overwhelming, even though they are exciting. Marni says that big festivals are often wasteful, but that Sasquatch is careful to be easy on the environment.

What’s the biggest music festival in your area? Do you think festivals are fun or do you think they’re too much?

You can read about Sasquatch’s carbon-neutrality here. The Festival takes place at the Gorge Amphitheater May 26 & 27.

Comments

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

i miss music I love it.

02:02 PM May 12 2015 |

vicmay_lo-flo@live.com.mx

Mexico

iN Mexico the most important festival  rock is Vive latino! the cervantino is  cultural level music in the state of Guanajuato.

07:20 PM Jul 02 2012 |

1 person likes this

kristyrus

kristyrus

Russian Federation

MASTER-DDD!!! I agree with you!!!

05:19 PM May 26 2007 |

Paul zhang

Paul zhang

China

there are some reduction.it's so difficult to the people the english is the second language.

12:22 PM May 23 2007 |

KenChenus

United States

If you like the band ,it's really worth to pay for it ,but I never watch a live band show before.

07:53 AM May 23 2007 |

solimano

solimano

Turkey

i like daily lessons like this one :)

05:46 PM May 21 2007 |

1 person likes this

MASTER-DDD

Dominican Republic

They have good pronunciation, BUT the speech are too many fast for english student, thats for english profesional or american native. Please record the audios slower

02:35 PM May 21 2007 |

1 person likes this

somaliland

somaliland

Somalia

i LIKE iT

01:08 PM May 21 2007 |

1 person likes this

bijoykdy

India

hi

06:18 AM May 21 2007 |