Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Date: Mar 17 2010

Themes: Pop Culture, Tech

Grammar: Be Able To

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Even though it didn’t win an Oscar for best picture, Avatar was one of the most talked about movies this year. It used new 3D technology to create visual effects unlike anything moviegoers have seen before. It was also the most expensive, and the highest-earning, movie ever made.

But does the movie match the hype? Some critics complain that while the movie may be fun to look at, the writing is bad and the story is cliche. But others find the moral of the movie, about protecting the planet, to be inspiring. Find out what Dale and Marni thought of Avatar.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Dale

Dale

Marni:  Have you seen Avatar, Dale?

Dale:  OK, who hasn’t seen Avatar? That’s the question.

Marni:  Well, apparently, you know, there’s three people on the planet. But I have to say, I think that maybe I missed the boat because I saw it, but I didn’t see it in 3D.

Dale:  The good thing about with watching it in 2D is that you actually grasp the actual storyline without getting sucked into the graphics.

Marni:  Into the visuals.

Dale:  Into the visual parts of it. I got sucked into the visuals. Because then I’m paying attention to everything else but the storyline. And the storyline is important there because it actually drives the whole movie. So I plan to watch it in 3D as well as in 2D.

Marni:  Ah, interesting. Well, OK, so I have to say, as someone who saw it in 2D, yes, you know, I was sitting there analyzing all the flaws in the story and going, “Oh, but that’s really pretty.” So now I think I would want to see it in 3D and be able to just focus on the visuals.

Dale:  I don’t really see that there was many flaws to the story.

Marni:  Really?

Dale:  I was just sucked in because overall, the way it was done was done I think in my honest opinion flawlessly.

Marni:  Wow.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Be Able To" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Dale and Marni have both seen Avatar, although Marni only saw it in 2D. They disagree about the film. Marni thinks that although it is fun to look at, the story is weak. Dale was really impressed by the movie. He thinks it is perfect in every way.

Avatar’s director James Cameron used the latest technology to create a visually stunning movie. You can see Avatar in 2D or 3D. In 2D you might be able to pay better attention to the plot, but if you want to fully enjoy the visual effects, it’s better to see the film in 3D. Or you could be like Marni and Dale, and see it both ways.

Have you seen Avatar? Do you think it is better to watch it in 2-D or 3-D?

Comments

fabsir

fabsir

Brazil

I saw it in 3D, you can´t help getting sucked into the visuals though. The plot ends up playing second fiddle.

01:03 PM Dec 03 2021 |

mohamed samy

Egypt

really   good  movie  and  thanks  for  every  thing  u  did

11:50 PM Feb 09 2011 |

masiran

masiran

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

it was awsom but unfortuatly i saw it in my laptop i wish to see in in 3D

05:07 PM Sep 12 2010 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Yeah of course! Who has not seen avatar yet? I loved it…I saw it in 3D,it was flawlessly ;)

11:36 PM Apr 16 2010 |

RPGMorpheuS

Hungary

Now, now. Everybody's soo into this film, butit's really not that awesome.

I admit that the visual effects just beat everything, and in 3D… Well…

That's a good experience.

BUT, as a lot of you said: It's full of cliches, and really, there's nothing surprising in it. Also, just like a Japaneese (or chineese(?), sorry :D) friend of ours said: it's similar to other stories… A japaneese author is even suing the director, besause the story basically the same, as his novell's…

Summa summaroum: The Avatar's not good, due to it's storyline, but to it's effects and such…

(Oh, and BTW: Not ONE of you had a problem with the idea of a human having sex with another race? Isn't it a bit gross, honestly? :P

I mean… the mind was the same so…Undecided)

11:40 PM Apr 12 2010 |

B3 emine

Turkey

I haven't seen it yet because while this film is in vizyon,I hadn't enough time.I'm sure,I'll watch it when I've opportunity.

06:57 AM Apr 06 2010 |

B3-OzKaN

B3-OzKaN

Turkey

I have seen this film in 2D. I wish I had seen this film in 3D. Because all of my friends who have seen this film in 3D said to me "You must see in 3d again." But I haven't seen in 3D :( When its producer company puts out this film in DVD in 3D, I will buy it :)
This film was really interensting for me. Becuase I like science fiction films.

09:09 PM Apr 05 2010 |

B3ECENUR

Turkey

I was wanting to see Avatar but ı couldn't watch it because unfortunately ı haven't had the opportunity. Although my friends said that they had been impressed from movie, ı have heard in a tv program that the film is stolen. Eventually ı'm indecisive about Avatar so ı think ı need to watch my own because only in this way ı can decide rightly. If the film is still on display, ı will go to watching it soon. 

08:50 PM Apr 05 2010 |

B3seboistanbul

Turkey

i did not watch film but i wonder this movie.I know that it has got big box-office revenues.My friends had watched it.All of my friends suggest it.I want to take a DVD and I'm going to watch at my home but on the other hand I want to try 3G.Perhaps I will try it on other fims.I saw behind the scenes of this movie.It is very interesting.They had use all opportinities of technology.I very impressed them.I belive that this film very impressive.I will watch it.

04:57 PM Mar 24 2010 |

1 person likes this

B3 doruqhan

Turkey

I did't watch film but as far as I heard it was very good.My friends had watched it..All viewers feel perfect..I wanna watch it but I haven't got enough time for this film because the film very long and I'm busy with ENGLISH :) :)  in conclusion; I haven't got enough information about film.Thank U Nalan teacher for this exercise :) see you later..everybody takes care… :)

04:53 PM Mar 24 2010 |

B3 ErCan

Turkey

I ' ve seen Avatar . it is very amazing and it's special effects are verry successfull i hope my friends vill watch it it's 3D and and the subject is interesting , and 3d is very good choice because you feel in film and you live in film :) 

04:51 PM Mar 24 2010 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

I've seen Avatar, and I think it's not worth watching either in 2Dor in 3D. The storyline isn't weak, there is just no storyline at all in this movie… well, almost.In a word, Avatar is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

PS I've seen The hurt Locker as well. I guess, it's quite fair that this film has got the Academy award for best picture. And who says the world in't fair after all?

09:37 AM Mar 23 2010 |

lily 01

Chile

I saw Avatar in 3D. It's really amazing, the special effects are great. The plot isn't very interesting, but it's a good film anyway.

06:48 PM Mar 21 2010 |

thedoons

Ghana

it a good movie

06:47 PM Mar 21 2010 |

b3 EREN

b3 EREN

Turkey

unfortunately I haven't seen avatar yet because I can't say anything. this is not enough but what can ı do? :(((

05:59 PM Mar 21 2010 |

B3 gozdetaymaz

Turkey

I have seen avatar. It is very interesting films.I think ıt is better to watch it in 3D.Because if you watch with 3D, you will live in the film.You feel there .Iwent to avatar film with my friend.Firsly, my friend wanted watch with 2D; but I didn't want.Then , we were late while we were discussing:) After that , we will take ticket as soon as we go to salon. After the finished, we talked together about film. My friend thought that it was very interesting and maybe terrible and I thought it was really romantic and adventure.

03:13 PM Mar 21 2010 |

deepalijain

India

I saw this movie in 3D..i found it very impressive …i enjoyed every part of it…i agree with dale.. i thought movie was really inspiring coz you learn how to fight for yr thing until u get it…

01:46 PM Mar 21 2010 |

b3ekmen

Turkey

I've seen this film in 3D, it was cool i really enjoyed the visual effects – very impressive!!!...  thats  enough  mrs özsoy hae :P

01:06 PM Mar 21 2010 |

b3ekmen

Turkey

I've seen this film in 3D, it was cool i really enjoyed the visual effects – very impressive!!!...  thats  enough  mrs özsoy hae :P

01:06 PM Mar 21 2010 |

zuhal3461

Turkey

I saw the avatar which really affects me in every way.maybe ıt is weak in plotwise but I liked  ıt all the same.I suggest everyone to see avatar in 3D of course .Have a nice day:)

03:17 PM Mar 20 2010 |

Likes (40):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast