Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

From Paris With Love

From Paris With Love

Date: Mar 31 2010

Grammar: Present Perfect Progressive

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When people think of Paris, they think of things like romance, beauty, and art. But the new movie From Paris With Love turns the City of Love into a city of intense shoot-outs and crazy fight scenes.

In the film, John Travolta plays an American spy trying to stop a terrorist attack on Paris. His methods are unconventional and cause almost as much trouble as the criminals he is trying to stop. Find out why Ella and Dale are excited to see From Paris With Love.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Ella

Ella

Dale

Dale

Ella:  So have you seen From Paris With Love yet?

Dale:  Actually, I’m planning to.

Ella:  John Travolta’s in it. I haven’t seen him in a movie in a long time.

Dale:  I know, I know, and that’s the reason why I plan to do it. Lately he’s been taking these roles of the mean tough guy, so I think that it’s…his roles are changing, so I’m excited to see how he’s transformed.

Ella:  Yeah. Looks like it’s a kind of a violent movie. Looks like there’s shooting sprees and crazy things going on.

Dale:  The role he’s supposed to play is more of a loose cannon, where everybody goes crazy and he’s just uncontrollable, like trigger-happy type of guy. I’m actually really excited to see it, ‘cause I really want to see how he’s become.

Ella:  Yeah. It’s not the type of character you usually imagine John Travolta in. He’s more light-hearted, like Phenomenon kind of stuff. And this is just the complete opposite.

Dale:  Yeah, he’s been changing so much. And that’s why I’m so…I admire the way he acts because he’s been so versatile.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Present Perfect Progressive" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Dale is looking forward to seeing From Paris With Love because he wants to see John Travolta play a tough guy. In the past, Travolta has played more good-guy roles, but in recent years, he’s been taking on darker characters. Dale admires Travolta for his versatility as an actor.

Ella thinks the movie looks violent. Travolta plays an American spy who is a bit of a loose cannon. He uses extreme methods to capture the criminals he is chasing.

Have you ever been to Paris? What does the city mean to you? What’s your favorite role John Travolta has played?

Comments

leon456

Taiwan

I'm worry about if I've arrived paris.

How can speak english for looking something .

Maybe I need to learn french more ha ha 

another question about this website

Which timezone was  the timestamp ?? 

In Taiwan ,now is AM 5:22 

09:19 PM Apr 04 2010 |

dickybabby

Hong Kong

Paris is a very far in my mind. When talking Paris, I can imagine it's landmark building, Paris Tower.

05:19 PM Apr 04 2010 |

Aquamarine

Turkey

I haven't been in Paris before But I would like to go there someday .When I heard the name of the city I thoght Eiffel Tower and romantic areas ,restaurants… I wish I would be there right now. Nearly.I have watched a movie 'Grease' that John Trovalta is in.I suggest you to watch it.It s really funny .

01:53 PM Apr 03 2010 |

RubyEy

RubyEy

China

i like this movie. i wish i can go to paris one day~

05:13 AM Apr 02 2010 |

afufu

China

I have never been to Paris.Actually,I've never been to abroad.But if we mention Paris,I always think it's a palce full of romance,fashion and art.And I also been told that French are kind of arrogant.

About John Travolta,I've never heard about him before.Sorry about that.Where is he from.Is he very famous in that country or around the world?

04:37 PM Apr 01 2010 |

oalkathiri

oalkathiri

United Arab Emirates

It is very nice movie

i adive to every one to watch it 

07:09 AM Apr 01 2010 |

iwori

iwori

Japan

I've not watched it yet, and this kind of movie isn't my cup of tea. I don't feel like watching action or viloent movie in theaters. I can imagine I would feel refreshed though.

07:02 AM Apr 01 2010 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

i'll watch the movie this weekend.

saludos.

02:08 AM Apr 01 2010 |

rbsilvapb

rbsilvapb

Brazil

I haven´t never been stayed in Paris. I think that city must be so beautiful…I hope to know Paris one day. About Travolta…I liked him in the movie Face/Off, when he played with Nicolas Cage. See u…

09:54 PM Mar 31 2010 |

jejo

jejo

United States

It seems to me that this movie is pretty good; however I don't advice children to watch it because of violence. What do you think Guys?

04:48 PM Mar 31 2010 |

Pu4

Pu4

Russian Federation

They aren't right. It's not the firts time when Travolta plays characters like that. For example Face/off.

03:43 PM Mar 31 2010 |

Dekler

Dekler

Kazakhstan

nice movie!

I saw it recently and wanna add that Travolta is really plyed well!

12:26 PM Mar 31 2010 |

Elfe77

Austria

I think this movie isn´t good for myself.

Because I dont like violent films. But I love John Travolta, he is so a great actor.

I can not say which role the best is from him.

12:07 PM Mar 31 2010 |

nathraj

India

I've not seen 'From Paris With Love' but I understood something about this picture.Last of all I feel happy to learn english by this process.Love you.

09:59 AM Mar 31 2010 |

foufou363363

Lebanon

I saw "from Paris with love " last week. John Travolta played very well,without taking in consideration the violence in the movie which i hate.

I have been in Paris many time. It's a charming city, i like to visit Paris every time i can. 

09:26 AM Mar 31 2010 |

BvDG & CM

Netherlands

we love you ² !!!!

Tongue out

08:43 AM Mar 31 2010 |

BvDG & CM

Netherlands

we love you ² !!!!

Tongue out

08:43 AM Mar 31 2010 |

BvDG & CM