Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

burn off

burn off

Date: Jun 17 2010

Themes: Health

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I can’t just eat what I want anymore and burn it off!”

- Actress Pamela Anderson on staying fit. (US Weekly)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

get rid of fat

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Pamela Anderson has basically made a living with her body. So it’s important for her to stay in shape. But that gets harder the older we get. Pamela is 42 now, and there’s only so much a nip-and-tuck can do.

Even Pamela herself admits that it isn’t as easy as it used to be for her burn off the foods she eats. Exercise burns off calories, but people burn things off at different speeds. Sometimes no matter how much you work out, you just can’t manage to burn off as much as you’d like.

When you exercise really hard, your body gets hot and might even start to hurt a little. When you can feel the burn, that’s when you know you’re really burning a lot off.

What do you like to do to burn off calories? Is it easy or hard for you to burn off the foods you like to eat?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I’ll have to run five miles tomorrow to burn off all the ice cream I just ate.”

“It’s harder to burn off calories when you’re older.”

“Don’t worry about all the fat in this pizza, we’ll burn it off later at the gym.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

NoMaD Get rid of it. and in this case get rid of the calories by work out!
by NoMaD
to burn it off means to consume all the calories wolfed down
by monacovalentina
Zambuka Get rid of fat
by Zambuka

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

I love work out and to me it is easy to burn off calories 'cause my body is accustumed to this ;)

You know,it is so easy to me burn off calories that when I'm sit down here typing for a hour on average I burn off a hundred calories! So I have to eat from 3 to 3 hours if not I'm used to say "I disappear from map"! hehe

12:04 AM Jul 19 2010 |

mona.f1985

mona.f1985

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

eating less,exersingig and having locomotion is the best way to burn off all fat in your body and be sliiiiiiiim

08:17 PM Jun 22 2010 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

i think u can eat wherever u want , the point is " dont exaggerate the way tha u eat "

04:40 PM Jun 21 2010 |

ahmedghieth9

Egypt

beautiful mind ,in beatiuful body

06:43 AM Jun 19 2010 |

shirmila

shirmila

Sri Lanka

I do nothing to burn off my calories.but I do diet.It is very hard & little success

05:09 AM Jun 19 2010 |

Stefany Liz

Peru

That's no easy. I consider that it's hard not by the objetive to stay in shape but by to have a good health.

01:20 AM Jun 18 2010 |

weah44

weah44

Sudan

i  like  to do burn  of when i play football and  running ,but  i do not  like  that i like  to eat hhhhhhh

09:17 PM Jun 17 2010 |

jejo

jejo

United States

I think everyone should take care of his/her health especially when they got older.

Let's prevent and keep away our bodies from unhealthy food and beverage.

Let's get RID of these bad stuff.

I wish all you healthy body and happy life.Smile

04:49 PM Jun 17 2010 |

spacedragon

Brazil

LOLzzzzzzzzzzzzz….......................

04:34 PM Jun 17 2010 |

RPGMorpheuS

Hungary

Stay in shape?

No kidding?

This women's disgusting…

Girls, just stay natural… :)

03:01 PM Jun 17 2010 |

Ahshan

Ahshan

China

a nice term again! burn off means get rid of fat

i usually go to play basketball to burn off the foods i eat!

01:54 PM Jun 17 2010 |

Sheep1207

Sheep1207

Germany

I burn off the calories I take in with lot of sports. I run regularly. Sometimes it doesn't work out, I need to eat less :)

Have fun and nice greetings…

10:31 AM Jun 17 2010 |

m_mahboob

m_mahboob

Pakistan

Pamela Anderson is an actress and she has to think a lot about her looks… 

I would say that burning off calories varies person to person some of them do not need to burn off the calories they are fit and fine all the time and they eat whatever they like to and some of them are mostly in trouble and looking for different ways how to burn off the calories so, they walk, jog and do some exercises 

I personally suggest that eat food as much as you can consume.

I would also suggest that if a person eats food 3 times a day then he/she should increase the time of eating and reduce the quantity of food, so in this way your body can consume the food easily and you will feel comfortable and light weight

I would also suggest that we should not avoid eating at any time because this might caused that you become weak. 

If you are eating a lot and doing different exercises to burn off the calories then I think you are not justifying with your health, you are keeping yourself in the trouble

I think we should give relaxation to our body by eating less… means if you have taken heavy breakfast then you should take light lunch… So Eat Less and Stay Healthy…Smile

10:12 AM Jun 17 2010 |

qeregetron

qeregetron

Turkey

sex is the best way to burn it off.

07:44 AM Jun 17 2010 |

dewicd

Indonesia

I think most of women do concern about their outlook.But, I think be healthy is the most important concern. I hope every one can stay health and fit ^^

06:26 AM Jun 17 2010 |

suyoung

suyoung

South Korea

i am very conscious of looks. i think most women are like that. i don't like the feeling after eatting high calorie food. so i ride bicycle for 40mins and run around the park for 40mins to burn off food that i ate during the day. after working out hard, i can feel the burn. i sweat and even feel sort of refreshed. yesterday, i was excited that i could see the result of all my effort. coz i went to a clothing store. i just tried short pants on. and i reflected myself wearing short pants in the full-enough mirror. my legs have become really slim and thin. it's hard to burn off but it's worth coz i can have more attractive body. 

04:12 AM Jun 17 2010 |

South Korea

Exercising is the best way to burn off calories!!

02:14 AM Jun 17 2010 |

julywidiawati

Indonesia

Haha.. I wished the foods that I've eat wouldn't burn off easily…

04:16 AM Jun 10 2010 |

Likes (11):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast