Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Make a Deal
Make a Deal English, baby! Video Lesson

First Conditional

Date: Jun 14 2011

Themes: Soap Opera

Grammar: First Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When you make a deal, you agree to something that benefits you and someone else. Business deals happen every day when one company agrees to work with another. In business or in relationships, making a deal always involves compromising.

Imagine there’s one company that sells a product and they make a deal with another company to buy the product. They have to agree on a price. That’s how you make a deal.

Ella recently adopted a child. Her boyfriend Jeff isn’t happy about it. See if they can make a deal and find a way to stay together.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jeff

Jeff

Ella

Ella

Jeff:  Alright, so, how about this. Let’s make a deal.

Ella:  What kind of deal?

Jeff:  If you get rid of Table, I’ll start introducing you at parties and other social functions as my girlfriend.

Ella:  How about this? If I get to keep Table, I’ll hire someone to wash your car every day and wax it too.

Jeff:  If you get rid of Table, I will throw away my toenail clippings from the bathroom floor.

Ella:  That’s sick. You should already be doing that.

Jeff:  What? That’s your job!

Ella:  If I get to keep Table, I will shave your neck for you. You need help with that.

Jeff:  Come on. I can do that myself. If you get rid of Table, I will start holding your hand in public.

Ella:  Come on, really? If I get to keep Table, I will make reservations at that fancy restaurant you really want to go to that you have to wait a year ahead of time because, you know, I know the boss, and then tickets to the opera that you’ve been wanting.

Jeff:  We still have Table. That’s a problem. How about this? If you give Table up, I’ll buy you that pair of shoes you’ve been talking about every day for the last three months. You know those ones? Come on. And…we just give Table to Dale. He’d have a place to live.

Ella:  This is true.

Jeff:  Dale really seems to care for him. We’d have more time in our relationship.

Ella:  Yeah. I’m past the nine-day trial policy, so that would work.

Jeff:  Sounds good to me.

Ella:  We made a deal.

Jeff:  Deal it is.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "First Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Ella wants Jeff to accept her adopted son. She offers to do all sorts of nice things for him if she will.

Jeff wants Ella to give up the boy. He finally offers to buy her a very expensive pair of shoes if she will give the child to Dale. Dale seems to like him a lot anyway. Ella agrees.

Have you ever made a deal? What is the best way to make a deal?

Comments

impossibleaz

Viet Nam

Thank you for sharing this article with us! I believe there will be more people like me, they can find many interesting things in this article of you!

04:40 AM Mar 20 2018 |

jenny12354

jenny12354

India

Click here to know about slither hack and cheats .follow here. www.about.me/slitherhacks/

12:08 PM Aug 17 2016 |

Chaalker324

Afghanistan

The reason behind this respect and value is that highly educated and intelligent people are respected and valued in each and every http://www.superiorpaperss.com/ place of this vast universe. Every person wants to keep in touch with the educated people.

09:39 AM Sep 16 2015 |

Justirina1

Russian Federation

:-O OMG!! This is ridiculous! The video is just shocking! No more comments!)

03:49 PM Apr 05 2013 |

ahmedghieth9

Egypt

cool

09:10 AM Aug 06 2011 |

Ahshan

Ahshan

China

omega male  haha  jeff is an omega  male  .but finally they come to make a deal ,it is worth to congratulating.

10:27 PM Jul 17 2011 |

javier armando

Peru

the best way to make a deal to keep love forever is fucking everyday hahaha

04:16 AM Jun 26 2011 |

miguemillosangel

Comoros

Making a deal is always necessary in your life. Wherever you go, you are always gonna find people that do not agree with you at all and that’s when you gotta start trying to make a deal for mutual benefit.

04:01 PM Jun 20 2011 |

Madline

Madline

Jordan

I’m really bad at making deal because I cant persuade the other part in my opinions .

03:21 PM Jun 16 2011 |

batool899

batool899

Bahrain

oh yeah.. i have made lots of deals in my life.. i think am good in making deals.. and even my sisters and friends ask me sometime to help in making deals..:) i think it is all about being good with negotiation !

07:23 AM Jun 16 2011 |

weah44

weah44

Sudan

we  can  alaways  mzke  deal if  we  start  think  all  together  in  one  mind …i  like  teams   work  and  i  like think  and  find  out  with solve for problem  with  friends

i  like this  vdeo

09:07 PM Jun 15 2011 |

Alvin.Y

Alvin.Y

Taiwan

I like this clip! Many boys and girls always make a deal in real life

So funny

02:28 PM Jun 15 2011 |

Amo0ol

Amo0ol

Saudi Arabia

i do’t know anything about making a deal i just tell my father if i want somthing and that is’t hhhhh

and i think we should helping eachother without making deals

11:52 PM Jun 14 2011 |

Miss.Seba

Miss.Seba

Yemen

yes i made deals with many people before… the best way to make a deal is to discuss and not to be selfish …

11:29 PM Jun 14 2011 |

dadac123

dadac123

China

yeah,of course I have made a deal.

And I think the best way to make a deal, is figure out what is the things that the other one and you are caring,then you can make a proposal that can satisfied each side. You goona highlight the benefit he or she can get, and try to change the thought of him or her.

06:13 PM Jun 14 2011 |

dc-united/21

Germany

That is typically a girl’s reaction! Promise her that new pair of shoes and the guy has won! :D lol

01:11 PM Jun 14 2011 |

isabel139

isabel139

Peru

Of course I did. We all, during our life make some deals.. with family, with friends, with business people…

The best way to make a deal start with “listening” all the involved people and then choose the best way :))

12:40 PM Jun 14 2011 |

Zeerak

Zeerak

Australia

its good when we agree from both sides.

10:20 AM Jun 14 2011 |

Omar alsaqqaf

Yemen

I always make a deal specially with my members of family, of course to get something from them ..I start asking them to do it politely..indeed they refuse it in the beginning so I start to show my offers..But if they refuse in this case ..I turn to the last option (Extorting) them hhhhhhhhhhh ..in this way I get what I want  

10:08 AM Jun 14 2011 |

Big Dream

Big Dream

Russian Federation

What a stupid shit?! She’s ready to get rid of Table just because Jeff will bye her that pair of shoes…? And what the hell is wrong with Jeff? If Ella is his girlfriend, can he just buy her those shoes just because she wants them? Is it necessary to make some deals before that? This video shocked me! lol

09:20 AM Jun 14 2011 |

Likes (29):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast