简体
Classic Rock
经典摇滚

Learn about the past progressive tense.

Date: Aug 01 2011

Themes: Music

Grammar: Past Progressive Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

There are plenty of good rock bands out there today, but not many of them can be called legends. When you think of rock n’ roll legends, you probably think of guys like Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison of the Doors, or Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant. All those guys with big talent and big reputations, whose era of rock n’ roll (the 1960s and 1970s) was so important and groundbreaking that it’s what we call classic rock today.

But for some, the definition of classic rock is changing. Music from the 1980s or even the 1990s that is similar in style to the rock music of the 1960s and 70s is now sometimes labeled “classic rock,” too. Find out why Jason and Marni believe in a more classic definition of classic rock.

现如今涌现出了众多优秀的摇滚乐队,但是能冠以传奇之称的则少之又少。当你回想摇滚乐坛的传奇巨星时,你可能会想到吉米·亨德里克斯 (Jimi Hendrix)、大门乐队 (the Doors) 的吉姆·莫里森 (Jim Morrison) 或者齐柏林飞艇乐队 (Led Zeppelin) 的罗伯特·普兰特 (Robert Plant)。这些巨星全都才华横溢,声名显赫,他们的摇滚时代(上世纪 60 年代和 70 年代)具有划时代的意义,因此今天我们会称当时的摇滚为经典摇滚。
但对一些人而言,经典摇滚的定义已经发生了变化。创作于上世纪 80 年代甚至是 90 年代的音乐因与上世纪六七十年代的摇滚音乐风格类似,也被贴上“经典摇滚”的标签。请听詹森和玛尼为什么认为传统的经典摇滚才是真正的经典摇滚。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jason

Jason

Marni:  Jason, I was just listening to one of my absolute favorite albums, 2112, Rush.

Jason:  Oh my goodness.

Marni:  Some good old classic rock. Are you a fan of classic rock?

Jason:  Absolutely. I mean, it’s just, there’s never a time when I don’t want to be listening to classic rock.

Marni:  Exactly! I’m kind of fascinated by this because obviously, it’s 2011, and classic rock has been established for a long time as music from the 1960s and 70s, maybe early 80s. But now, you know, it’s like, what constitutes classic rock?

Jason:  Yeah! I was thinking about that, that some kid might be like, “Yeah, my dad listens to classic rock, like, you know, Nirvana.” What? That’s not classic rock!

Marni:  Yeah, exactly.

Jason:  I mean classic rock, to me, it’s about that era, the whole culture of rock around that time.

Marni:  Right.

Jason:  Because it was played in arenas, and the music reflects that. It’s really heavy on choruses and long solos and just being really over the top as opposed to kind of gearing itself for radio play and things like that.

Marni:  You’re totally right, and I also think it’s about the musical legends, you know? Like when you think about amazing guitarists like Jimi Hendrix, or an amazing vocalist like Robert Plant or something. It’s that era.

Jason:  You could get guitarists now that are as good as those guys, but they don’t have that legendary reputation. You just don’t feel like you’re in the presence of…

Marni:  Of greatness.

Jason:  Yeah!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Past Progressive Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jason and Marni both love classic rock. Jason says he is always in the mood to listen to classic rock.

Marni says that the definition of classic rock seems to be changing. She thinks of it as music from the 1960s and 1970s. But some people are now calling more recent rock music classic rock, too.

Jason defines classic rock as music that was meant to be played in large arenas. Usually the style of music is over the top and loud, with strong choruses and lots of solos. Marni adds that there are a lot of legends from the classic rock era, like Jimi Hendrix and Robert Plant, the guitarist from Led Zeppelin.

Do you like classic rock? Who are your favorite musical legends?

Comments

Ramses98

Ramses98

Germany

Classic rock music and rock music rules absolutely! It is “modern” about 50 years! How much of the music today can allege that of itself? Everyone will remember the “Smoke on the water” riff, even in a hundred years

02:51 AM Apr 28 2017 |

vicmay_lo-flo@live.com.mx

Mexico

Led Zeppelin is my favorite band!. all its members was very good. I also like other bands today. metallica, and his black album..good.

currently my favorite rock band is: Foo Fighter

01:32 AM Jul 24 2012 |

Ahshan

Ahshan

China

no

10:08 PM Aug 01 2011 |

Blanca234

Blanca234

Spain

I like the music but I don´t know much about the music. The music is life!!! I like classic rock. Smile

08:36 PM Aug 01 2011 |

bluese

bluese

Turkey

Classic Rock which are valid even today is still a fascinating exceptionalgreat stream of music and I am a dire passion for classic rock music styleand also a fan of Rodrigo.Smile

07:58 PM Aug 01 2011 |

MERZA

MERZA

Jordan

I like classic rock

07:31 PM Aug 01 2011 |

hapciu.madam

Romania

I like classic rock, i often listen to it..like. led zeppelin, the beatles, scorpions, guns n’ roses.. etc..

06:52 PM Aug 01 2011 |

katrina Lin

China

Much to the concert letting a person is cheerful

04:35 PM Aug 01 2011 |

kinjal gadhavi

India

ya….bt it’s depend on my mood…

02:49 PM Aug 01 2011 |

kl2005@rediff.com

India

i dont have so much knowledge of music…...

02:03 PM Aug 01 2011 |

miguemillosangel

Comoros

classic rock will always be among us

01:46 PM Aug 01 2011 |

wwongsapun

wwongsapun

Thailand

I’m not fan of classic rock But I can listen this kind of music. I think, Iron man by Black Sabbath is very good for me.

12:24 PM Aug 01 2011 |

SÉRGIO

SÉRGIO

Brazil

RAMONES!!!!

11:19 AM Aug 01 2011 |

sifro

sifro

Italy

well i’m a classical guitarist so i usually dont play rock songs (i’d rather prefer playing Bach.. like here… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMyJnsTHA4k or Leo Brouwer.. like here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOnyV5hlI2g), but indeed sometimes you just need something powerful, like Led Zep’s music!

i really like hendrix too.. little wing is a legendary song! 

08:29 AM Aug 01 2011 |

rinuparida

India

i dont like loudy songs.i prefer very slow & heartouching songs.it keeps yr mind chil & cool.my favourite singer is lata mangeskar

08:24 AM Aug 01 2011 |

ranice

China

i’m a keyboarder of my nu-mental band,we really like rock music,the melody saying what we are thinking about the world and life and the people around us

08:20 AM Aug 01 2011 |

miss_eos

miss_eos

Viet Nam

I don’t like something noisy. They may touch your soul but not all the time. Broadly speaking, smooth melody live through the years.

07:12 AM Aug 01 2011 |

SeaView55

United States

No Music can constitute classic rock because that era is over. Life is not about legends anymore, not only in music but also in politics, cinema and science. Our lives are fractioned into smaller and more diverse components which makes each individual unique in what they like and dislike.

05:56 AM Aug 01 2011 |

Bolivia

Totally!! Its funny to see how music production technology gets increasingly improved while music itself gets worse everyday. I think the driving force behind this matter is music industry being all about image and no longer about quality.

For those about to rock I salute you!!

05:12 AM Aug 01 2011 |

hmiman

hmiman

Egypt

Rock at all is a very loud music

04:55 AM Aug 01 2011 |

Likes (34):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo