简体
Cowboys & Aliens
牛仔和外星人

Learn Comparatives and Superlatives

Date: Aug 09 2011

Themes: Pop Culture

Grammar: Comparatives and Superlatives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

American cinema was founded on Westerns. There’s even an airport near Hollywood named for cowboy star John Wayne. But in recent decades, filmmakers have been in love with aliens. From Avatar to Star Wars, creatures from space are fun to watch.

Historically, these two genres of film have remained separate. But in a new movie starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, a spaceship comes to Arizona in 1873, right in the middle of cowboy country of the wild west. One man finds that his six shooter has been replaced by a laser gun and things get more intense from there.
Listen to Jason and Marni discuss this long-awaited action movie combination.

美国电影兴起于西部片。在好莱坞附近甚至有一个以西部片明星约翰·维恩 (John Wayne) 的名字命名的机场。但最近几十年,制片人热衷于外星人系列。从《阿凡达》(Avatar) 到《星球大战》(Star Wars),来自外太空的生物总能带来无穷乐趣。
在历史上,这两种类型的电影可谓是泾渭分明。但在丹尼尔·克雷格 (Daniel Craig) 和哈里森·福特 (Harrison Ford) 主演的新电影中,一艘宇宙飞船于 1873 年从天而降,来到位于西部荒原牛仔之国中心地带的亚利桑那州。一个男人发现自己的六发式左轮手枪被一支激光枪替代,事情从此变得更加扑朔迷离和扣人心弦。
请听詹森和玛尼如何讨论这部期待已久的动作片。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Marni

Marni

Jason:  The weird thing about aliens and alien movies…

Marni:  Yes?

Jason:  They always visit in the present day.

Marni:  This is true.

Jason:  Which is why Cowboys & Aliens is going to be such an awesome movie.

Marni:  I’m pretty excited about that too. They go back to the wild west.

Jason:  Yeah!

Marni:  Wow. Who…what a concept! Like, you know, let’s just put a western flick and an alien flick together and make this movie. Why not?

Jason:  And it’s cool, because westerns reflect the most celebrated period in American history. So it’s like if aliens happened to visit at the height of our storytelling time.

Marni:  Right. Yeah, it’s a very interesting concept. And of course, it stars Daniel Craig who was James Bond, and Harrison Ford. How can you go wrong?

Jason:  Legitimate actors.

Marni:  Yeah, I can’t wait to see it. I think it’s going to be really interesting.

Jason:  And how much scarier would it be to have aliens visit when you’re in the wild west, and all you’ve got are these six shooters to defend yourself?

Marni:  That’s true. They don’t have the arsenals that today’s alien fighters seem to have.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Comparatives and Superlatives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jason is excited to see the new movie Cowboys & Aliens. He likes the idea of combining a Western with a movie about aliens. Marni agrees that the film has a pretty cool concept. She also likes both the main actors in Cowboys and Aliens, Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig.

Jason thinks that aliens would be even scarier in the wild west than in our current time, because people in that era didn’t have very advanced weapons. So it would have been even harder for them to fight the aliens. Jason loves the ideas of aliens visiting the planet during such a classic era in American history.

What do you think is the most interesting era in the history of your country? What is your favorite movie genre?

Comments

Débora-Madiana

France

Cowboys & Aliens is a great movie, when I watched, I did’nt imagine the the film would be so good. :)

My favorite movie genre is thriller, but I love the fantastic  movies and dramatic movies too. Desert Flower is a  dramatic movie and it’s very beautiful.

04:26 PM Aug 24 2012 |

tepferenok

Russian Federation

i think it is very strange combination) may be even a little insane) i saw the film. creators mixed a popular and catching themes) sometimes things are just silly in this film but who cares)

usually i prefer a more sophisticated films which touch my feelings and make me think and feel. but for entertainment and fun this one is ok.Smile

06:44 PM Aug 22 2011 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

The current period is quite interesting, I think. I love chick flicks and thrillers and I don’t like films about aliens as well as westerns. It’s funny that I write it in this lesson which is dedicated to that sort of movies, isn’t it?

11:54 AM Aug 11 2011 |

VincentXiang

China

Oh yeah My favorite movie genre is action.

I wanna watch it  as soon as possible.

05:43 AM Aug 11 2011 |

trailo_hathanh

Viet Nam

I am sorry to say that, there is no interesting era in my country. It is hard to believe, but it’s true. All of my country historical was fighting to defence for our dependency. We were fighting and win America, Japanese, French, and especially is China. China is our permanent  enemy.

We can said that our historical is history of fighting to China for dependency, so we have many experience and very good of fighting. That is why we can win America, French, Japan, and China in the future.

02:26 AM Aug 10 2011 |

MUHAMMAD92

MUHAMMAD92

Saudi Arabia

my favorit te movie genre it’s hitorical movie.

02:03 AM Aug 10 2011 |

isabel139

isabel139

Peru

My favorite movie genre it’s war flick. I loved to watch “Pearl Harbor” or “The boy with striped pyjamas”!!!

11:15 PM Aug 09 2011 |

pink_gurl

pink_gurl

Kuwait

Great flick….._ thanx

10:44 PM Aug 09 2011 |

riverboy

riverboy

Yemen

actually, It’s not my genres cowboys. but i concept those who are height interesting to watch,

10:05 PM Aug 09 2011 |

M.Rybak

Poland

The Longest Day: this is my favourite movie!

09:49 PM Aug 09 2011 |

love the life

Israel

i miss you

08:17 PM Aug 09 2011 |

miss316

China

Be honest, when i saw the trailer, i felt it was really cool. So i saw it in the cinama last week when it was first shown. However, it was not my  genre, and not cowboys and aliens aren’t metch at all. Except, Daniel craig is still charming.

04:02 PM Aug 09 2011 |

fuethio

Ethiopia

BUT COWBOY&ALIENS ARE NOT ….. MATCH

11:14 AM Aug 09 2011 |

fuethio

Ethiopia

I THING THAT IT IS AWSOME

11:11 AM Aug 09 2011 |

hmiman

hmiman

Egypt

i a gree with them ,Aliens visit my country in her past is pretty cool idea

i would like to see what will happen if aliens visit egypt in the era of Pharaonic civilization

and how our antecedents deal with this

i like comedy,romantic,hindi moviesv

08:32 AM Aug 09 2011 |

jiahui.lei

jiahui.lei

China

i think tang dynasty is the most celebrated period in my country

08:05 AM Aug 09 2011 |

amado

amado

Jordan

to me its a drag, i mean….. come on ALIEN and COWBOY.

no match at all

05:39 AM Aug 09 2011 |

Lizaza

Lizaza

Belarus

The most interesting period in my country is present, I think. Or maybe the future.

My most favorite movie genre is romantic comedy.

And I don’t think Cowboys and Aliens can be a success. The concept is weirdUndecided 

05:05 AM Aug 09 2011 |

Gorgon

Gorgon

Romania

The most interesting era in the history of my country I guess it should be somewhere between year 300 and year 1000. We know so little about this period.

My favorite movie genre is Science Fiction. I’m looking forward for this title.

03:24 AM Aug 09 2011 |

Likes (20):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast