简体
Two Cents English, baby! Video Lesson
意见

The Modal Verb Could

Date: Nov 22 2011

Themes: Romance, Soap Opera

Grammar: Modal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Everyone has an opinion. If you’ve ever asked people for advice on a decision, you know that not everyone agrees. It can be hard to decide what to do with everyone around you offering their two cents.

The phrase “two cents” doesn’t have anything to do with money. When you offer your two cents, you give someone your opinion. Sometimes people ask their friends for their two cents. “What do you think I should do? Give me your two cents.” Other times, people offer their two cents without being asked. “I think you should get a job. That’s my two cents.”

With all these cents, you might expect to feel rich. But usually, if people keep offering your their two cents, you just feel confused. Devan is planning a wedding. Naturally, there are a lot of decisions to make. Watch as her friends offer their two cents.

每个人都有自己的看法。如果你曾就某项决定征求过其他人的建议,你就会知道,不是每个人都同意你的观点。如果你周围的每个人都提供自己的意见,你可能很难决定何去何从。
惯用语“two cents”(意见)和金钱没有任何关系。当你提供自己的“two cents”(意见)时,表明你在向某人表达自己的看法。有时,人们会征求朋友的意见。“你认为我该怎么做?说说你的意见。”还有的时候,人们会主动提供自己的意见。“依我之见,你应该找一份工作。”
有了这些意见,你可能希望感到参考良多。但通常情况下,如果人们总是向你陈述自己的意见,你只会感到困惑。德凡正在筹划一场婚礼。她自然需要做出许多决定。看看她的朋友们如何向她提供意见。

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Devan

Devan

Ella

Ella

Mason

Mason

Jeff

Jeff

Marni:  So, how are the wedding plans going? Have you and Jason found a venue yet?

Devan:  Yeah, I think we found one. There’s a public park near our place that’s really special to us, so…

Marni:  Oh. Uh…that’s interesting.

Devan:  What? Do you think that’s a bad idea?

Marni:  No. It sounds lovely, really.

Ella:  Yeah, a park sounds nice. But have you considered a ballroom? There’s a grand staircase, beautiful chandeliers...You could decorate with flowers everywhere. I mean, that would just be more elegant than a public park. That’s just my two cents though, you know.

Marni:  Well, as long as we’re giving you our two cents, I just always pictured you and Jason getting married on a beach, you know, with the waves crashing behind you, and the sunset. It just…

Mason:  I don’t know, guys. I like the water idea, Marni, but there’s just so much sand on the beach. It’s gonna get everywhere. Why don’t you get married on a boat? I mean, you and Jason could, like, ride up on jet skis and…and…the bridesmaids would have to wear bikinis. Hmm?

Jeff:  Woah. Did I just hear something about Devan and Jason getting married on a boat? I’m gonna have to advise you against that. The liability is way too high. That’s my two cents. But as your legal counsel, that’s gonna cost you 200 bucks.

Devan:  Alright, that’s enough. I don’t want to hear anyone else’s two cents. I know you guys have a lot of opinions about the wedding, but I’m the one that’s getting married, so I get to make the decisions.

Jeff:  Well, technically it’s Jason’s wedding too. Shouldn’t he get to be able to put his two cents in as well?

Devan:  No. I’m the bride, so I get to decide. So from now on, you guys just need to do everything I say, OK?

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Modal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni asks Devan if she has found a venue for her wedding yet. She says she and Jason plan to get married in a park. One by one, Devan’s friends all offer their two cents about where she should get married: in a ballroom, on the beach, on a boat.

Devan says she doesn’t want their two cents. It’s her wedding and she’ll make the decisions. Jeff asks if Jason gets to add his two cents, because it’s his wedding too. Devan says no.

Where do you think is the best place for a wedding? Do you like to offer people your two cents or do you keep your opinions to yourself?

Comments

hemeed

Yemen

07:13 PM Feb 18 2012 |

砍柴人

砍柴人

China

sometime other’s advise can help you ,but more diffirent ideas can make you confuse

12:50 PM Dec 11 2011 |

1 person likes this

goodmahsa

goodmahsa

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

previously I used to give my two cents wherever I had sth to say but  gradually I learnt to keep my idea back unless others ask me.Smile

11:52 AM Dec 03 2011 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

as for venue i’d like to choose the beach) though…. the garden would do as well)

01:28 PM Nov 24 2011 |

IsaaBelaxD

IsaaBelaxD

Brazil

I think the place to a wedding depends on the style of the couple. 

Actually, I just give my two cents if someboby asks me or if it’s such a necessary situation. For example, once a friend of mine was hit in her head with a ball and formed a huge bump on it. So she went to a doctor and he said that she should do a dangerous surgery on her head, near her brain. She didn’t asked me my opinion but I said that if it was such a dangerous sugery, she should go to another doctor ask his two cents too. She heard me and did it. The other doctor just prescribed some medications to her and she didn’t need to do the sugery. And she is still alive! :)

Anyways… to me, I don’t like people giving me two cents! just if I ask… or the same way… when it’s necesary.

12:29 PM Nov 24 2011 |

1 person likes this

Maria del Alba

Spain

I think the most common and easiest way of getting married is in a church or in a court in case you are not religious, but if you ask me I’d say it is very special to get married on a beach due to the waves, the tides, the sunset, the breeze, the sea…

I don’t usually offer people my two cents cauze I am not nosy and I dont like to interfere in people’s decisions.

11:24 AM Nov 23 2011 |

dkattleya

dkattleya

Indonesia

Cristal: For save and low liability yes at home, but for something romantic i’ll choose in save garden (you what i mean by save garden that is hard to find here LOL) or beach would be lovely :D

John: Haha..only worth half of it

03:24 AM Nov 23 2011 |

dkattleya

dkattleya

Indonesia

Cristal: For save and low liability yes at home, but for something romantic i’ll choose in save garden (you what i mean by save garden that is hard to find here LOL) or beach would be lovely :D

John: Haha..only worth half of it

03:24 AM Nov 23 2011 |

i love life

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

I prefer to establish my wedding near the beach or anywhere can give me my happiness

I dont know if this idea I can achieve it some times we have to ability to creation some scene very attractive in our mind I like to dance on the very crazy music this stimulate me on to be in a good mood all the time

I dont know when time I will marry perhaps after tow years maybe more

we need to a lot of money in order to achieve some dreams in our mind

be happy to every one in this world

regardless all thing remian some thing bring together

09:58 PM Nov 22 2011 |

friendlover

Turkey

I prefer to give my to cents to my friends if they are confused and they need my two cents. Not in a condition they already have an idea about it they are happy in this way. In this condition, my two cents will be annoying maybe and my friends won’t be satisfied about that.

Especially about wedding, there are many ways for this so everyone has their teo cents about it. Better not to ask to anyone about it..

06:47 PM Nov 22 2011 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

hahahaha! ABang Leak, only in Australia  can you laugh with someone you just called bloody drongo!, i guess you guys are very cool. I will start using bloke from now on, it sounds so cool to say…. Bloke!, haha!

06:43 PM Nov 22 2011 |

abang leak

abang leak

Indonesia

dunno what two cent means before.,its not new words for me actually ive heard this words before, you know,im working on the farms in aust and my boss he’s true blue he speak lingo too much it just confiused me sometime ,one day i heard him said two cent and my mind automatically thingking about money when i asked him that he was talking about money and he explaind it to me and said you’re bloody drongo always money on your minds lol,..ha it was funny we just get laughed and thats it he’s nice bloke i learnd alot from that bloke ,.

06:30 PM Nov 22 2011 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

“babe, babe ooooh!, babe babe oohh I thought you’d laways be mine …” oops wrong lesson, where  is the undo button?

06:00 PM Nov 22 2011 |

john

johnSuper Member!

United States

I like to offer my opinion but it’s usually only worth 1 cent.

05:40 PM Nov 22 2011 |

mangojoy

mangojoy

United States

I think many places can make a really great wedding spot, in the forest, on the beach, or in a home. I also like the idea of having it near water maybe even a waterfall. I try not to give my two cents unless it looks like the person wants to hear it or asks me for it. Sometimes I just go ahead and give it without being asked, but usually it seems that people do just fine on their own. That’s my two cents.

05:23 PM Nov 22 2011 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

Martha , thanks for your input  . Yes, nothing is perfect in this world as you have just mentioned. I wish you  the best of luck when it comes to find  the real person for you.

04:55 PM Nov 22 2011 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Martha, i agree , its cultural  . you  people  respect  the tradition  and wouldn´t dare to offend your family going against  it.  The problem in the west is that many couples after a time of living together  and having one or two children  brake apart  from the commitment  and go on separate ways  leaving their children  with the burden of  seeing  that  Dad and Mum are not living under the same roof.  such a pity.

04:18 PM Nov 22 2011 |

julito

julito

Argentina

MarthaAfiana,  In Argentina nowadays  most couples  start living together  skipping  all legal formalities as  civil and religious ceremonies. One reson and probably most important  is to avoid  all the  legal hassle  that involves a separation, another one is  the lack of  enough money  needed  to invite friends and family  to the wedding. 

03:31 PM Nov 22 2011 |

1 person likes this

Vina Novalina

Indonesia

The phrase “two cents” doesn’t have anything to do with money kinda remind me with Brazil Proverb : The best thing in the world we don’t need money to do.
About Jason and Devan’s wedding planning, i no need to give them my two cents, cos the person who know what is the best wedding is their own self: the couple, they know right away what they want for their happy moment, the special moment in their life, they are just need to speak up what in their mind with the wedding organizer, make discussion what they want with the budget they have.
Anyway, just wanna say: Happy get married for Jason and Devan in advance :)

03:07 PM Nov 22 2011 |

avesta_12

Iraq

i like to give two cents to people who need may be he confuse to choice  i help not necessary that they accept all time my advice .but the importance is that i know when i offer my two cents it is only if i have  experience in that problem that he has in order not to confuse him more. 

02:35 PM Nov 22 2011 |

Likes (12):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast