Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Women in Sports

Women in Sports

Date: Sep 14 2007

Themes: Sports

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The road to the playing field has been a long one for women. For a long time, women weren’t allowed to play sports at all. Then, for a time, women were allowed to play but had to wear dresses and skirts even while running!

Only since a new law in the late 1970s gave more money to women’s sports in schools have women athletes been given a fair shake in the US. Now lots of sports fans find it just as fun to watch women compete as men.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kevin

Kevin

Devan

Devan

Kevin:  So you know, I did my undergraduate work at the University of Minnesota and that’s where hockey is huge, and the women’s hockey team is amazing.

Devan:  Really? I didn’t even know they had women’s hockey.

Kevin:  It’s big time...women’s hockey…

Devan:  Like professional?

Kevin:  Like borderline professional. I mean, they’re really amazing. And with Title IX, I don’t know if you know that…

Devan:  Uh-uh.

Kevin:  That’s like for…It requires equal dollar amounts given to collegiate and high school female sports as well as male sports.

Devan:  That’s awesome.

Kevin:  So there’s an equal number of scholarships available to women as there are to men. It’s really brought up the level of women’s sports. It’s amazing. Like in the hockey team. You see one of their games and they’re so much fun, you know?

Devan:  Do you think that women’s sports will catch on?

Kevin:  I mean, I would like to see the WNBA be as big as the NBA, but I don’t know, the men’s has been around for a long time. But you know, the women in tennis…Women’s tennis is as popular as men’s tennis and it has been for a long time.

Devan:  Well, that’s ‘cause Anna Kournikova is a babe.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

The colder parts of the United States are really into hockey. Kevin went to school in Minnesota, one of coldest places in the country, so naturally he went to some hockey games.

But interestingly, he went to women’s hockey games. Devan didn’t even know that women had hockey teams. Kevin explains that since the passage of Title IX (now known as the Patsy T. Mink Equal Opportunity in Education Act to honor the woman who wrote it), women’s sports teams have the same funding as men’s sports teams.

But will women’s sports ever be as popular as men’s? They’ve got a long way to go, and men’s sports have a head start. But in some places such as tennis, the sexes get equal attention. Devan jokes that this is only because a particular Russian tennis player is really beautiful.

Have you ever gone to see women compete? Do women play sports where you live?

Comments

kwasibabyboy

Ghana

hi,how are you ????.this is David a boy of 20yrs old and likes to be friend with you.i will end here and hear from you hopping to hear from you.have a nice day.

09:54 PM Sep 20 2010 |

nbs788

nbs788

Saudi Arabia

great woman

10:53 PM Feb 26 2010 |

tahiya

Oman

Hi everybody,

I like playing tennis but I am busy in my work so I don't have time to play it.Also, the weather in my county is very hot . We can't play outsid ecsept in the jem.

05:33 AM Oct 21 2009 |

Just.Sara

Just.Sara

Syrian Arab Republic

I love tennis ..and yeah!come on girls lets compete and win!Smile

10:14 PM Oct 02 2009 |

poyraz kafkas

Turkey

Hi. my name is Poyraz. I am from Turkey…...

07:16 AM Jan 19 2008 |

laverson

laverson

Brazil

I love the lesson, I playing tennis too.

03:14 PM Oct 28 2007 |

drummereren

Turkey

hello girls

11:26 PM Oct 09 2007 |

kamel_38

Algeria

الي كل من تكتب بلغة العربية سلامي من الجزائر اليها اليوم وكل يوم ايتها العربية اين انتي واين عروبتكيان كنتي حقا موجودة فلكي عنواني ساكلمكي باحلى لغة في هذا الكون واغازلكي بها واصادقكي بها وانصحكي بها والومكي بها واشجعكي بها فقط تكلمي يا عربية بلعربية

01:12 PM Oct 09 2007 |

pres.prince

India

nice….!!! jasmine

11:38 AM Oct 09 2007 |

pres.prince

India

you want women to be equal of men..!!! women are supposed to be care takers and housemakers.. whatever.. men are always dominant

11:34 AM Oct 09 2007 |

pres.prince

India

must be concentrating on their clothes… dont you agree with it…? hmmmm…

11:31 AM Oct 09 2007 |

srsvrm

srsvrm

Turkey

I think the women are more famous in tennis than the menLaughing

02:53 PM Oct 07 2007 |

olnak

Germany

yeah i am new here today just i am a togolese and i love this site web.i will be happy to make friends here it will be nice to exchange our culture because i am an african.If some one is interested he can write me trough : or
have a good day everybody

10:22 AM Oct 07 2007 |

pajko

pajko

Serbia and Montenegro

I am new here and think  this site is good for my english improve.I will vizit every day this place and learn new leasons.

09:39 AM Oct 06 2007 |

amyrillus

Germany

women and hockey. have never heard about it before. i saw a hockey game in finland and it was really agressive. but anyway women in germany are more successfull then the male team. but the female team does not get all the attention as the male team does.

03:49 PM Oct 05 2007 |

Ah ling

China

nowaday women play an important role in life.they are not only good at doing homework,taking care of children but also they can make contribution in many fields,such as business ,political,culture and so on.siciety is made up of men and women ,so sports do not only belong to men ,women also have right and ability to play sports.and men should not look down upon women as women are not disadvantaged groups any more.

09:45 AM Oct 02 2007 |

bd_xinji041

China

I like sports ,as well,I like see women's football completion

03:07 AM Oct 02 2007 |

Liliya-22

Liliya-22

Russian Federation

As for me, I do like sport! Wink And it's pleasant to know that women's sport become more an' more popular!

10:45 AM Oct 01 2007 |

roby11

roby11

Egypt

the lesson is very good lesson in Egypt girls can play any sports my sister play tennis and she love maria sharapova soo moch

07:19 AM Sep 28 2007 |

irane

Azerbaijan

I am very like sports.I love playing tennis too.

04:53 PM Sep 22 2007 |

Likes (162):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast