Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

good sport

简体
good sport
有风度之人

Date: Mar 22 2012

Themes: Sports

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“On the first day of filming, I had to hit my costar in the crotch. Luckily, he was a good sport.”

- Actress Reese Witherspoon talking about making her new action-comedy This Means War. (Us Weekly)

“拍摄的第一天,我不得不击打合演者的裆部。幸运的是,他是位有风度的人。”
- 女演员瑞茜·威瑟斯彭 (Reese Witherspoon) 谈论其最新动作喜剧《情敌大战 》 (This Means War) 的拍摄过程。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

easygoing, agreeable person; someone who can accept bad situations

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

In sports, and in life, you can’t win every time. Sometimes you might lose an important game. And sometimes, Reese Witherspoon might punch you in a very sensitive area. But no matter what kind of painful situation you face, it’s important to be a good sport.

A good sport is an easygoing person who gets along well with others, even when they’re in a difficult or uncomfortable situation. In the sports world, a good sport is someone who plays fair and doesn’t get angry or upset if they lose. At work, a good sport might be someone who doesn’t mind working late to get a project done. A good sport at school might be someone who gets along well with everybody and doesn’t get too upset if they get a poor grade.

Reese Witherspoon’s costar in the new film This Means War, Tom Hardy, faced a difficult and uncomfortable situation on the first day of filming. The script called for Witherspoon to hit him in the crotch. Hardy had to be a good sport about it, even though it must have been painful since it took five attempts before the before the director of the movie was finally pleased with the scene.

When was the last time you had to be a good sport about something? Are you a good sport when you lose at sports or in a game?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My sister is a good sport. She doesn’t get mad at me, even when I tease her.”

“Come on, be a good sport. I was only joking when I said that about your mother.”

“Enzo is being a good sport about the breakup.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

A person who takes a bad situation well.
by candycandice
Orchestra to be firm and tough enough in particular situation to cope with a hard ordeal
by Orchestra
goodmahsa easy going and an agreeable person
by goodmahsa

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Shiry

Shiry

Saudi Arabia

Thanks 4 the subject i like it so much :D

yeah , I’m s good sport at school , and in sport , but to be honest sometimes i feel upset and everyone i guess :D

Cool

05:05 PM Mar 28 2012 |

1 person likes this

hamdi sem

hamdi sem

Tunisia

hello my friends am hamdi and am from tunisia

04:58 PM Mar 28 2012 |

little little sheep

Taiwan

Good life is sport

04:53 PM Mar 28 2012 |

GIULLIANA

GIULLIANA

Peru

I had to be a good sport as i was in a job interview the manager told me that he needed anyone who had lot experience as a secretary, but i don´t understand because i have lots experience as a manager assistant and i think i had more responsabilities than a secretary

02:59 PM Mar 27 2012 |

Orchestra

Orchestra

Russian Federation

Imitating you guys without unnecassary shyness I can claim that I’m a good sport too)) Every day there are a lot of situations drawing me into a conflict, but instead of arguing I try to keep calm and balanced. But I don’t feel really proud of it, because this one plays a malicious trick upon me. A lot of people might think that I’m just afraid of messing with them, although that’s not true completely. So, there’s a very sharp edge))

09:34 AM Mar 27 2012 |

TachiToan

TachiToan

United States

Yesterday, when I was standing in line to check out my T-shirt, there was a lady behind me, and she rudely passed over me to go to the casheir. To me, it was not a big deal. I am easy going; and from this lesson, there is another word that I can use to instead, that is that I am a good sport. lol. how cool.  

07:08 AM Mar 27 2012 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

yesterday, I had to be a good sport when we came to our summer cottage and found out that my husband had forgotten to drain water from the water-pump and it got broken because the water in it had frozen during the winter and damaged all the inner parts. Instead of yelling at him I said that it wasn’t his falut and we would just buy a new one and that new things are better than used things anyway. I am so kind, such a good sport.

10:42 AM Mar 26 2012 |

2 people like this

shookiba

Israel

i know this is a spam but i dont know how to comunicate with the managers.

its important to know.

please the pepole how manegar this web site:please i want you to advertise a chapter about dogs and animals that they are diying every day and living in the streets like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFMJKtIZ1vk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cWaK1dizrw&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EluArtCBYk&feature=player_embedded

please make a chapter this is important.

05:03 PM Mar 24 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

I think, we’re all succumb to sadness and especially if we hear some offensive words  more than once. Well, it’s difficult not to notice that and continue to be a good sport.  Generally, it’s an easygoing person, smiling, having many friends like Mr Know All, Max Kelada

http://maugham.classicauthors.net/knowall/

Russian equivalent would be “the soul of the company”

11:54 PM Mar 22 2012 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Good day scraps, graphics and comments for myspace, orkut, friendster

11:20 PM Mar 22 2012 |

Ahshan

Ahshan

China

i am surely a good sport when i face difficult or bad situations.

10:52 PM Mar 22 2012 |

1 person likes this

tutorheatherSuper Member!

United States

I have been reading everyone’s comments on here, and I love hearing everyone’s stories.

I just want to make it clear that a “good sport” does not refer specifically to SPORTS or games. It can be about anything! It just means a person who has a good nature and doesn’t get easily upset or offended.

Hope that helps…

H

10:17 PM Mar 22 2012 |

tutorheatherSuper Member!

United States

I have become a good sport as I have aged. I tend to stay calm and “roll with the punches,” which means to take things as they happen, to not become upset easily over small losses, and to simply “go with the flow” of things.

A term that refers to the opposite of a “good sport” is a “spoilsport.”

I was a spoilsport as a child. I hated to lose at anything—cards, board games, hide and seek, school and grades, etc. It didn’t matter. I was such a “cry baby” if I didn’t dominate or get my way.

The worst part about playing a game (or spending time) with a spoilsport is that he or she ruins everyone else’s fun because winning becomes more important than just enjoying time with other people.

Thankfully those days are long over!

Sincerely,

Heather

10:11 PM Mar 22 2012 |

lesyk_ao

Ukraine

Its strong person who able to mask his hurt

03:18 PM Mar 22 2012 |

nfrtary

nfrtary

Egypt

well , alwyes i am trying to be good sport in bad suitation that i face some times i work it out and onther i can`t but in the times that i can`t to be good sport in it i didn`t make anything bad with other i just go away but my mood was very bad and when the people say (we didn`t mean to do that or say that) i forgive them because i sure that really they don`t mean to do that but i could`nt make myself good sport and didn`t get upset.

but you know alwaes the good sport guy better than who get upset quickly.Cool

03:04 PM Mar 22 2012 |

1 person likes this

ugur_1907_

ugur_1907_

Turkey

I think I am a good sport at school or at work. But i cant tell I am a good sport in the football when I play in the games. :)

02:44 PM Mar 22 2012 |

1 person likes this

Shadyy

Shadyy

Slovakia

Sport Keep me alive Wink

02:40 PM Mar 22 2012 |

hardygong

China

Hi guys,my name is hardy, i am a boy .I’m specialize in teaching chinese as a foreign language.I am finding people that want to study chinese . I want to train and improve myself.I believe we can learn from each other. Final,the best wishes to you!Cool

02:09 PM Mar 22 2012 |

winter_sonata_nw

Egypt

I think when I lose at anything , I have no time to be a good sport! I pretend to be esaygoing in front of people while , in my mind, I think how to win the next time and how not to repeat my mitakes. But when it comes to being angry with someone , I try to be tolerant.Some times I can , sometimes I can’t ; I just blow up at them.

01:54 PM Mar 22 2012 |

King_zero

King_zero

China

i like sport even i.m not a good sport,what i think is ,the good sport can be understand  for a mind,the mind can express much things,likes happy mod, even as a funny joke, as all things what make you fell well

12:22 PM Mar 22 2012 |

1 person likes this

Likes (15):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: