简体
All-Nighter
开夜车

Used To

Date: Apr 09 2012

Themes: School, Work

Grammar: Used to Do vs Be Used to

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Staying up all night is fun when you’re partying with your friends. But pulling an all-nighter because you have a paper to write for school or a project to finish at your job is a different story. Unfortunately, if you put off doing your work until the last minute, you might have no choice. Hear Devan’s advice to Jeff about pulling an all nighter.

当你和朋友们聚会时,即便是彻夜不眠也会兴趣盎然。但如果因要撰写论文或者完成工作项目而“开夜车”时,就完全不同了。不幸的是,如果你将工作拖到最后,你会别无选择。听听德凡给杰夫有关开夜车的建议。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Devan

Devan

Jeff

Jeff

Devan:  So what are you doing tonight? Do you want to go get a drink with me?

Jeff:  I don’t even want to talk about it.

Devan:  Why? What’s going on?

Jeff:  I went out too much, procrastinated, and now I have this huge project due tomorrow, 10 am. And I’m so tired, and I don’t have time for sleep.

Devan:  So you’re gonna pull an all-nighter tonight?

Jeff:  Oh I’m burning the midnight oil.

Devan:  That’s a bummer. I used to do those all the time in college. I always had to cram for exams the night before. But luckily I’m naturally already a night owl anyway, so that’s kind of when I thrive is at three in the morning.

Jeff:  So do I, but when the pressure’s on like that, it turns it into a different thing. It becomes this traumatic experience.

Devan:  That’s true. It does make it a lot more stressful when your deadline is rapidly approaching.

Jeff:  Yeah, tell me about it. Even though I am a night owl, it’s nice to wake up early, see the sun rise, hear the birds chirp. But when you’ve stayed up all night it kind of sours the experience.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Used to Do vs Be Used to" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Devan asks Jeff if he wants to go get a drink with her. But Jeff has to stay at home and pull an all-nighter. He procrastinated and has a project due in the morning that he hasn’t started yet. Now he has to stay up all night getting his work done.

Devan used to procrastinate when she was in college. She would put off studying for tests or writing papers until the last minute. Then she would have to burn the midnight oil in order to get them done. Luckily, she is a night owl who has plenty of energy in the middle of the night.

Jeff also likes to stay up late sometimes, and he also likes seeing the sun rise. But he doesn’t like seeing the sun rise after staying up all night to finish a project.

Have you ever had to pull an all-nighter? Why? What did you do to make yourself stay awake?

Comments

Fatihh

Turkey

During exam terms, I always procrastinate and pull an all-nighter but after I am done with all the exams, I say to myself that I will not do it again, I will not procrastinate bUt I cant keep my word.

06:05 PM Feb 28 2017 |

ttsuka

ttsuka

Japan

I tend to procrastinate. The other day I read that perfectionists tend to procrastinate because they pressure themselves to produce excellent results. This leads to a fear for starting the task at hand. When the dreaded last minuet finally comes, you get on the work frantically, suffering. Naturally, you end up disliking the work itself and the procrastination habit gets worse. So, the lesson is: know that perfectionism is an anathema to perfection. If you want to make satisfying results, accept the notional of you being an average and focus on getting the best fun out of the work you do.  

02:48 AM Feb 16 2014 |

vanessa307

vanessa307Super Member!

Viet Nam

I dont like pulling an all nighter for work or study .I find it so stressful when trying to get things done on time. But staying up all night for party is fun :)

09:03 AM Aug 15 2013 |

samirah

samirah

Saudi Arabia

iam not a night owl at all. when i was a student , i used to sleep early in order to understand  lectures at morning and to be more active.I hate putting off my tasks .i think iam an organized girl hhhhhhh

06:30 PM Apr 12 2012 |

Gasim

Gasim

India

very nice really

02:05 PM Apr 11 2012 |

miss loubna

Morocco

Actually , I suffer a lot from this bad habit, ;) I am a professional night owl, my problem is I cannot do my homeworks and study in the morning. Unfortunetly sometimes I cannot get up early to enjoy the sunrise or hear the birds chirp

03:27 AM Apr 11 2012 |

1 person likes this

laura282

Mexico

For me is important to sleep early because I have to wake up at 5 am. So if I didn´t sleep on time is very difficult to be on my schedule . At 6am I start swimming until 7 am. So not only I have to woke up but  also have breakfast. 

Sundays I try to sleep more but I can´t my body wakes up early I can´t be a night owl 

11:33 PM Apr 09 2012 |

goodmahsa

goodmahsa

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

whether I like it or not, most of the time I should be a night owl , when I was just a student I had to burn the midnight oil at least to review whatever I had learnt and the theory of “study during the term and be free at exam time “never worked for me cause I had always been studying during the term but for passing the exam with flying colors there was  hobson’s choice of cramming till the last minute and now I am a night owl for two main reasons : one nothing can distract me or tantalize me and two after 1 AM using the internet in here is free and I  don’t have to pay money for it. :)

10:26 PM Apr 09 2012 |

tutorheatherSuper Member!

United States

Good to see you Parion! And yes, I agree. So many of these comments are lovely!

Nice writers here.

09:59 PM Apr 09 2012 |

rozana.ea

rozana.ea

oh…im wake almost every night till 2 or 3 am .because i live in a chamber with my friends. sths for studing our lessons but most times because we cant sleep soon! in fact we are few night owls.but when i cant sleep because i have an important project ,it gets very difficulte for me !

09:36 PM Apr 09 2012 |

zamalek

zamalek

Egypt

when we have exams we stay 

09:35 PM Apr 09 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

I agree with Ryo,  when we follow a routine of getting up at a certain hour ,after a time we will not  need an alarm clock anymore ,we can very well sell it or give it away, our internal clock  will not fail to wake us up  at that hour. 

07:54 PM Apr 09 2012 |

1 person likes this

Radhwan

Radhwan

United Arab Emirates

i had missed my high school final exam because of studing all night

when i waked up at 10am my family were asking me how was your exam

i took a moment to just thinking back what is going on Yell

so i failed that subject ..so  funny

07:32 PM Apr 09 2012 |

Radhwan

Radhwan

United Arab Emirates

in my point of view

the night is much beutiful than day time in some cases but the actual time for work and study is in day time. night is for sleeping and restting. day time for been tired and bussy all time if not most

07:25 PM Apr 09 2012 |

goldenheart24

Turkey

ı dont like being all -nighter because ,at nigth you have the most fruitfull times for your body so,you should get your sleep on time and begin new day energetic and alert .nights are created for sleeping, days for working .

07:25 PM Apr 09 2012 |

Mania_16

Mania_16

@Andressa Olland:
Yeah!& the same will happen to me next year,when i start my career n go to collage!! But bein honest….i’d be happy if i go to sleep easily one day!:D

07:16 PM Apr 09 2012 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

What I like most about the night is to watch  the starry sky, gazing at the milky way, this is only possible in the countryside ,far from the neon lights and the hustle and bustle of the city.  My heart fills with wonder at such magnificence  that is above us  and all for free.Smile

07:16 PM Apr 09 2012 |

United States

Nina..

I am with you on this (meaning “I agree with you.” I love the silence of the nightime. I suppose that is why I like winter so much too. When the snow falls, the world seems so silent and peaceful.

06:56 PM Apr 09 2012 |

1 person likes this

United States

I can certainly relate with all-nighters.

My students come from every time zone, so I have classes all hours of the day and night.

However, I have always loved to stay up at night. It is so peaceful. I know the phone won’t be ringing, no one will be at my door and I have no appointments to rush to…

Like Ryo, I feel very connected to the energy of the night.

I have never been a morning person.

For example, it’s 2PM EST here and I just woke up. However, I taught overnight until 7AM.

It’s very difficult for people who work at night. They have to sleep while most of the world is up and active. Your sleep gets disturbed by phone calls from people who don’t understand.

My mom always gets mad when she calls at 1:00PM and I’m still in bed, even though I had taught all night.

I have tried to have her put herself in my shoes by saying, “You calling me at 1:00PM is like me calling you at 1:00AM. Can you imagine if I called and told you to get out of bed because you’re being lazy?!”

Parents! Even though I’m 40 years old, I still feel like they never truly understand!

Sigh.

06:53 PM Apr 09 2012 |

Nina K

Nina K

Germany

I like to seeing the sun rise :) But sometimes I work or learn in the night because in this time is so silence

06:47 PM Apr 09 2012 |

Likes (40):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast