Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

weird someone out

简体
weird someone out
让人纳闷、不自在

Date: May 10 2012

Themes: Celebrity

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“If someone walked up to me smelling like me, it might weird me out.”

- Singer Carrie Underwood on why she doesn’t want to put out her own perfume. (Us Weekly)

“如果有人向我走来,并且和我有同样的香味,我可能会感觉不自在。”
- 歌手凯莉·安德伍德 (Carrie Underwood) 谈论为什么她不喜欢抹香水。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

make someone feel uncomfortable

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

The singer Carrie Underwood must have a low tolerance for weirdness. She says that she wouldn’t want to have her own perfume because it would weird her out. She wouldn’t want other people smelling like her. That’s a pretty unusual thing to feel weirded out by. But maybe Carrie Underwood has a particularly special smell!
Someone looking at you in an odd way, strange noises, or a comment that you don’t know how to interpret, are all examples of things that might weird you out. Something that weirds you out doesn’t have to be scary or upsetting. It just makes you feel a little uncomfortable. It’s something that seems weird, or bizarre, to you.

Weird someone out is like freak someone out, but not as strong. If something really weirds you out, you might also say it freaks you out. But people who are weirded out by lots of little things are a little weird themselves. Don’t be a weirdo!

What kinds of things weird you out?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“You weird me out when you stare at me like that.”

“I don’t want to weird you out, but I think I just saw a ghost.”

“Being alone in my house at night sometimes weirds me out.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

cubi1604 Scare me. Bug me.
by cubi1604
anges491 to cause someone to feel afraid or uncomfortable
by anges491
To cause someone to feel uneasy, bewildered, or disquieted by something considered very strange.
by candycandice
englishty It means freaks me out.
by englishty
soly2255 to make someone feel uncomfortable or afraid
by soly2255
goodmahsa sth that weird you out makes you feel awkward and uncomfortable or worried
by goodmahsa
Bothering,disturbing someone
by Albert luther
yvo0804 means make her feel uncomfortable
by yvo0804

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Bruce_zhou

China

I c, when some one point out my shortcoming with many people ,many werid me out at that time.

09:45 PM May 21 2012 |

Erkaamgaa

Erkaamgaa

Mongolia

Thanks for the lesson, I exteremly hate falsehood and people lying to me weird me out.

12:07 AM May 14 2012 |

1 person likes this

see-wave

see-wave

Yemen

misunderstand of  what i said especily from my best frind 

11:22 AM May 13 2012 |

ebarillas

Guatemala

if someone strange points at you, it probably weirds you out

05:23 AM May 11 2012 |

1 person likes this

Rockyy01

Rockyy01

Pakistan

When I continuously talk on a serious topic to someone…
& after a couple of minutes he puts the handsfree out of his ears & asks…
‘You said something…?’

When I’m talking to someone on phone…
& I hear this in reply…
‘WHAAAAAAAAAT…? I CAN’T HEAR YOU…’

& sometimes like everyone… life weirds me out…

03:46 AM May 11 2012 |

zarin.setare

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

when somebody smoke.it really weird me out.

07:38 PM May 10 2012 |

zarin.setare

when somebody smoke.it really weird me out.

07:38 PM May 10 2012 |

Mahtab.bp

Mahtab.bp

When a man says “I love You” it weirds me out!:))

Kidding!

Actually thinking about future sometimes weirds me out.No one can freak me out except myself ,my thoughts or my feelings.;)

05:41 PM May 10 2012 |

minive

Togo

Being alone in my house at night sometimes weirds me out

05:06 PM May 10 2012 |

1 person likes this

konstantin cherta s dva

Russian Federation

Ola, I think that not all crude jokes are bad. As for jokes about someone’s death or about some sides of the person, that are congenital and couldn’t be corrected, for example appearance, I agree with you, such jokes are bad and inappropriate anyway. But jokes about someone’s misfortune and about weak sides of the person, that can be corrected by person himself, often make that person who is a target of a joke to feel something like “I’ll show you, guys” and to make an effort to make success in area of his misfortune. For instance, one of my classmates was taunted in a form of a joke by his friends about his big weight. For the first time, I thought that such jokes are bad, because it hurt person’s  feelings and so on. But later I were talking with that classmate and he said, that he considered such taunts as friendly and didn’t take it too close to his heart, on the contrary, he said, that taunts helped him to improve himself. For instance he said “after  a long workout in the gym sometimes I want to miss an ABS exercises and go home, but I think of that taunt and just do it)” So sometimes it is better to take it easy and with a part of irony, I say that) Sorry, it is quite far from the theme of the topicEmbarassed)

05:01 PM May 10 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Three scenarios that wierd people out.

the man is single: hey dude,  why didn´t you get married  .. maybe thinking ,is he gay? ,although  this is not a problem , same gender marriage  in some countries is permitted.

the woman is single and  hitting thirty :  honey , why are you still single , wouldn´t you like to get married  and raise a family ?

they have just came out from a ruckus  divorce:  c´mon, get over it  ..... Cry

04:53 PM May 10 2012 |

i love life

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Actually I have some people weird during me life , but I’m not looking to find a new people enough for me deal my real friends , there are many people sometimes make you unhappy ,they are very curious specially If you have some money , you will not feel comfortable , by the way If I have weird person I am not afraid to say my opinion .

We should be careful of others some people understand you mistake , my advice didn’t give anyone the opportunity if you don’t know enough .

04:29 PM May 10 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

“Usually i do not give anyone the opportunity to weird  me out”

Nice one, Ryo!

03:48 PM May 10 2012 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

This lesson tells something about human psychology.:)  I think what happened to Carry Underwood is just going from one extreme to another. It’s either too much or too little which is weird… Yeah, it’s a challenge being moderate and to find that happy medium which is between two extremes.

Carry Underwood is a famous singer but maybe too much fame and fans turned her into a narcissist and a self-interested person that evolved into that possession of her “own perfume smell” and freaking out if, God forbid, someone else has it. It’s funny, eh. Instead of being magnificent, generous and public-oriented, she just constrain herself in her own perfume.

Well, I’m not that saint as well. Some things weird me out too. Crude jokes, I think. Jokes about someone’s death, someone’s misfortune… Just can’t laugh about it, no matter how nicely they’re embedded in a context. 

“… those who are not angry at the things they should be angry at are thought to be fools, and so are those who are not angry in the right way, at the right time, or with the right persons; for such a man is thought not to feel things, not be pained by them, and, since he does not get angry, he is thought unlikely to defend himself; and to endure being insulted and put up with insults to one’s friends is slavish”.

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Thinking about my exams getting closer really weirds me out Undecided

03:39 PM May 10 2012 |

adward SD

adward SD

China

It’s almost everyong‘s shortcoming to gossip about someone at random even you know what is not right。As the type one with whom the weriding out is constantly around,they should speak themselves ;be myself。

02:17 PM May 10 2012 |

1 person likes this

fabsir

fabsir

Brazil

I get weirded out when people I have never spoken to before come up to me and start talking like we were close friends, asking personal questions or being too forward.

02:10 PM May 10 2012 |

1 person likes this

david_marceno

Brazil

Talking to people I havent met yet always weirds me out Cry

01:10 PM May 10 2012 |

1 person likes this

Christianny

Brazil

i don’t like when people gossip next me about other person, or when they can’t take their eyes off of me. It weirds me out!

12:44 PM May 10 2012 |

leanTVXQ

leanTVXQ

China

My comments is gone?Oh,i’ll repeat Yell

I don’t think I have a low telorance at weirdness,but it will weird me out when someone ’s behavior makes me feel I’m a total weirdo …When i couldn’t join a chat,or I was ignored…

12:28 PM May 10 2012 |

Likes (21):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast