简体
Headaches
头痛

How to Use 'Used to Do' and 'Be Used to'

Date: Jun 13 2012

Themes: Health

Grammar: Used to Do vs Be Used to

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Some people are lucky. They don’t get headaches very often, or when they do, a simple pill makes the headache go away. But others suffer frequently from painful headaches, and medicine doesn’t always help. A bad headache can make it impossible for you to get your work done, or ruin a fun day. Hear Devan and Jeff talk about headaches.

一些人很幸运。他们不经常头痛,或当他们头痛时,只需一片药,头就不痛了。而一些人则会经常性头痛,吃药有时也会无济于事。严重头痛可以导致你无法完成工作,或破坏一天的好心情。请听德凡和杰夫谈论头痛。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Devan

Devan

Jeff

Jeff

Devan:  I have a headache again, for like the fourth day in a row.

Jeff:  You always have headaches.

Devan:  I know. I’ve tried everything. I’ve tried getting massages, I’ve tried acupuncture, pain relievers. Nothing seems to help. Do you get headaches a lot?

Jeff:  Fortunately, I don’t. I don’t want to jinx myself, but…

Devan:  Not even when you have a hangover?

Jeff:  Kind of. There are many other problems with hangovers that are worse than the headache, so I’m not paying attention to that. But I used to get headaches when I was a teenager. Migraines.

Devan:  Yeah.

Jeff:  Which was no fun.

Devan:  Do you think they were stress related?

Jeff:  I don’t know. I never quite figured it out. But they went away.

Devan:  I hope mine go away eventually, because I’m really tired of being in pain every day.

Jeff:  You under a lot of stress yourself, Devan?

Devan:  I am. Maybe school is doing it to me.

Jeff:  What about your diet? Sometimes food can set off a headache.

Devan:  I’ve heard that before. I’ve heard that sugar or caffeine sometimes can set off headaches, and I do love my morning coffee, so maybe I should start cutting back.

Jeff:  Have you been sleeping well?

Devan:  You know, you’re starting to make me realize that there might be a lot of things that are causing these headaches.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Used to Do vs Be Used to" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Devan tells Jeff that she has a headache. She has had one every day for the past four days. Jeff says it seems like she gets headaches a lot.

Devan has tried many different things to try to cure her headaches, from acupuncture to pills. But nothing seems to work. Jeff says he used to get bad headaches as a teenager, but he doesn’t get them anymore.

Many things can cause headaches, such as stress, poor sleep, and certain foods. Devan thinks she might have all these things in her life! But it can be very hard to know exactly what caused a headache.

Do you often get headaches? What do you do to make them go away? What do you think causes them?

Comments

mandzhi

mandzhi

Russian Federation

I used to have a headaches when i was a child. I don’t want to jinx myself but now i don’t have it. When i had it i didn’t take any pills i waited when i can go to bed. After i slept i felt ok. I think the causes was that i had concussion of the brain, after it i started to have a headaches.

03:55 PM Aug 01 2015 |

sayran_g

sayran_g

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i love english and try to learn it ,more and more

02:37 PM Oct 13 2013 |

FarStrangeR

Russian Federation

I do have a mild headache from time to time on a unregular basis. Mostly I have it as a result of worrying about something too much for quite a long time during a day. I can also have a pretty strong headache as a result of not getting enough hours of sleep. If it is not so severe, I usually don’t do anything about it. But sometimes It compelles me to take some pills even though I hate to take them.

By the way meditation is one of natural ways to relieve headache. In addition it will also help you to calm down your mind and let go of stress. In most cases it really works for me. You just need to sit down in a comfortable place, close your eyes and focuse on your breathing for 5-10 minutes. It’s not so hard to do that though I often find myself falling asleep after some time:)

12:31 PM Mar 03 2013 |

goldie54

Canada

headache is pain in one`s head..I have often headache, but one my friend has migreine…it`s severe headache..for her always start in morning..i think, when she takes coffe, chocholate or tea..for her is big problem coffeine..she das massage, acupuncture( chinese medecine) but she need cut back on coffeine and have less stress..she dasn`t jinx someone..

02:32 AM Mar 03 2013 |

khaethe

khaethe

Philippines

that what im feeling right now

12:54 PM Jul 13 2012 |

mickee85

mickee85

Philippines

Luckily, I don’t. I only got headaches once in a while and it doesn’t last long, two-day is maximum.

11:26 AM Jun 18 2012 |

tadah

tadah

Japan

I used to have headaches, not migrane when I was young. Eventually, I figured out that it was related to not only stress but lack of enough exercise.

09:55 AM Jun 17 2012 |

1 person likes this

BeNice&Cool

Canada

Fortunately, I do not get a headache often if I don’t jinx myself.

02:47 AM Jun 16 2012 |

hassen1961

Algeria

I used to have headaches, because I was always stressed. When I have begun to exercice it has begun to get better.

My advices for everyone is to forget bad things and thinging everytime to good things.  

My advices for everyone is to forget bad things and everytime think to good things.

Don’t watch many horror or thriller movies, it’s stressful.

10:47 PM Jun 14 2012 |

1 person likes this

wwongsapun

wwongsapun

Thailand

Yeah! I often to have headache. It’s a migraine case. The migraine pills can make it go away. And should to get plenty of rest too. I think that’s cause from stress with something such as job or someone. So I know what is it. I try to cut back on these things but it’s not easy…  

12:46 PM Jun 14 2012 |

HIDAYATULLAH

Pakistan

taking real rest will be helpful for headaches

10:32 AM Jun 14 2012 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

A very good remedy from headaches is swimming! But swimming on the regular basis, not when a headache is in full swing. It’s an amazing way out. No doctors, no pills, nothing could help me as wimming does.

Good sleep also is a good choice. Less stress, relaxing, no tention, massage, fresh air and the headaches will be gone. But it’s all-right-away-helpers. Swimming is a long term shot. Even a long break will give its aftermath of no headaches. Knock on the wood.  Sink or swim! :)

02:06 AM Jun 14 2012 |

i love life

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

I would like to share my opinion with All my friends ,I Always have a headache , my life is boring as the same time my work make me feel that , Sometime we cant do anything in our lives , we should work , we should think about what we should do for our children ,Each of us need to live with the comfortable , from the other hand each of us has something to make him feel exhausting during his life .

For me I should do everything give me a good result , we should sleep early , we shouldn’t eat lots of unhealthy food , we should try Avoid smoking 

The most thing make you feel tired or you are living under pressure , when you take everything in our lives seriously , from my opinion I should live simply , think little , expect few , stay with God , try to look at the future a way All difficulties things 

If you have a migraines you should visit your doctor , This’s positive indications you’e  suffering from something in your health

Eventually I wish All the health to All people who are suffering from the headache wishing for them All the best .

09:03 PM Jun 13 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Irene, when I was a child. oops… there was a poster in the hairdressing   saloon  depicting a chubby and bold man  with nails in his head   and the caption geniol   ,this is an aspirine  ,at that time  very much  in use, now we have paracetamol and ibuprofeno.

08:38 PM Jun 13 2012 |

1 person likes this

sanaa2000

sanaa2000

Egypt

Alhumdullah I didnt have any headache,Maybe cuz I live in the country.I thank Allah for that, & I hope those who have one get better soon.

07:31 PM Jun 13 2012 |

jossef 002010

Morocco

Not realy i dont get headache often, but yeah for me just time to time , it’s really a big problem just like when you have a pain in your tooth or in ur ear , because you won’t be able to eat or sleep or anything else as you used to do , and when i have a headache i drink coffee a strong one and i put something cold on my head just to relieve it and it helps and lay on my bed away from any noise , i think what caused it apart of that happens to people who drink a lot, is when you dont sleep well .

06:25 PM Jun 13 2012 |

1 person likes this

samirah

samirah

Saudi Arabia

this lesson speaks to me , i had have headache since three days.anyway ,i get migraine at winter season due to incessant wind blowing..Cry

06:13 PM Jun 13 2012 |

1 person likes this

m@ry7

m@ry7

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i’m very lucky because i havent it but i think coffee is better for it.

05:37 PM Jun 13 2012 |

1 person likes this

hello_funboy

United Arab Emirates

hi ,,, when i feel headache jut i like to be free not doing any thing, and went to quite place no sonds  n o noise no headache:)

05:19 PM Jun 13 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

Criz, believe me, it’ll be great.

They say, it’s useful to cry. Not at all. It’s necessary to cry in some situations when a person feels awful because of  tragical events. Anyway, no use from crying, only extra wrinkles.

Anja, thank you.I wish the same to you.

04:13 PM Jun 13 2012 |

Likes (33):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: