Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

top dog

简体
top dog
最重要的人

Date: Jun 28 2012

Themes: Pets

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I like having some distance from Hollywood because I don’t have to know who’s top dog this week and who’s out from last week. I don’t know who anybody is and I really like it.”

- Johnny Depp on living in France instead of Hollywood. (IGN International)

“我喜欢和好莱坞保持一定距离,因为我不必知道这周谁是最重要的人,上周谁过时了。我不认识任何人,我真的很喜欢这种生活。”
- 约翰尼·德普 (Johnny Depp) 谈论他为何选择生活在法国,远离好莱坞。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

the leader; the top person in a group

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

It isn’t nice to call someone a dog. But if you call someone top dog, that’s different.

Dogs are pack animals. They like to belong to a group. They also like to know which dog is the leader of the group. In a pack of dogs, the leader is known as the top dog. The top dog might be the biggest and strongest, or the smartest of the pack. He’s the dog that all the other dogs have to respect.

Humans like to belong to groups too. Some groups are harder to be a part of than others. For example, not everyone can be a movie star in Hollywood. But even in Hollywood, some stars are more popular and important than others. Even in Hollywood there is a top dog.

Johnny Depp has been the top dog in Hollywood before. He’s been the actor whom every director wants in his films. He’s been the guy all the girls want to date. But he got tired of living in Hollywood. He moved to France so he wouldn’t have to pay attention to who was top dog in the movie business, and who was just a dog.

Johnny Depp says that in Hollywood, the top dog is always changing. He means that one person is never on top for long. Old stars lose their popularity, and new stars become the hot young thing. That’s why he would rather not worry about who is top dog, and who isn’t. He just wants to enjoy his life outside of the spotlight.

Who is top dog at your job? Do you want to be top dog one day? What do you think it takes to become the top dog?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“John is the top dog at English, baby!”

“If you want to be top dog at my company, you have to work really long hours.”

“I don’t care about being top dog. I just want to do the best I can.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

anges491 a person who is successful or dominant in their field
by anges491
A top dog is someone who is dominant or victorious.
by candycandice
Englishty It means the one who gets everyone's attention and impresses them.
by Englishty
samaneh64 a person, group, or nation that has acquired a position of highest authority.
by samaneh64
sofree a leader or a winner who's in charge.
by sofree
dearpesar important person, the one who is on the top of news
by dearpesar
Julissita on top of popularity list.
by Julissita
 julito the top dog is the one who leads the pack.
by julito

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I don’t care about being the top dog as long as I’m doing my best without any default. Actually, I don’t like to handle any responsiblity, I always fear not being able to run matters well.

I think Johnny Depp is right, he wants to live his life and he deserves this, especially after all that success he has achieved. 

08:30 PM Jul 07 2012 |

1 person likes this

anamusic

anamusic

Chile

Top dogs are very important at any job. Although leaders are needed in all organizations, I only have met top dogs that are workaholics and selfish. I´m sure there must be positive leaders out there, that are hardworking and humbold.  

02:00 AM Jul 03 2012 |

noo smile

noo smile

Egypt

i love dogs so much and i was have 2 dogs and will have a new one i love a rottwiler dogs 

06:49 PM Jun 28 2012 |

Englishty

Englishty

Egypt

Do you want to be top dog one day?.... of course, who doesn’t? i hope to be the top dog one day and to make this possible i have to do my best no pain no gain but at the same time i have to get real and realize that no one remains top dog for ever this’s the life, the most important thing is to be happy and enjoy the lifeWink

siberian tigger

Mexico

It means that somebody has to be boss in a company, factory, schhool, university because it has to organize and control people in order to solve challenges.

In addition, there is a boss who manage people and money to produce the best results.

03:43 PM Jun 28 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

A top dog is no superhero  : )

A top dog… the boss, the spearhead; one can come up with a countless number of teeth-clenching terms to describe this leading entity . However the top dog is not necessarily the superhero with unearthly skills and imposing figure. Sometimes, some ordinary personality traits like,  being caring and vigilant  are what set someone apart to become the head of a pack. The person who always asks questions respectfully and encourages the group to take a vote in order to reach a consentient decision. Because honestly speaking ,a real leader or top dog as we call it; isn’t the know-it-all guy, he’s just the guy who knows every member of the group and believes that everyone is a crucial link, he merely sees himself as a very active member of a team, nothing more.

My boss is one of those humble leaders, sometimes he gives me the impression that I’m the one in charge :) “Snoopy, what do you think? tell me” “ what if we did this ?” “ I need your and the others opinions on this issue” In fact, he gives everyone that same impression. he overuses the word “please”.   His skills and experience on the job are not greater than those of the people he oversees, and he’s aware of that, but the way he huddles us up together to survey our options before taking any decision is simply phenomenal. It’s quite hard not to abide by the conclusions he’d proposed, because when you assess them very closely you’ll realize that he had only spoken on behalf of the group. He’s the spokesperson of the group…that’s what our top dog is.

What does it takes to be a top dog? Having outstanding people skills, being an intelligent motivator and listener, be success-driven, but you must be a passionate team player before anything.

I never thought about becoming a leader but I always wish to be part of a group in which my opinions could sometimes be very decisive  : )

On a side note, I think Johnny Depp is very humble, he’s  not flashy at all. You almost never hear about him unless he’s promoting a new movie. He’s certainly a top dog celebrity in my books

Smile

02:54 PM Jun 28 2012 |

merllan

merllan

Bulgaria

The director is a top dog at my job. I wouldn’t want to be a top dog. When you are a boss everyone pretends and ingratiates you.

01:19 PM Jun 28 2012 |

1 person likes this

hossa

Egypt

The man who controls the group

12:34 PM Jun 28 2012 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

I agree with Ryo, and from my observation, top dogs are the loudest, thick skin, often saying gibberish, acting silly, but they looks like don’t care . They’re evrywhere, feeling the gap, no inhibition for them and it’s not just they do it on purpose, it’s just their personality. They feel happy about it, it’s their so called enjoying life. I, for example, would collapse from that hectic lifestyle on public. I’m easily getting tired talking non stop, but can do reading, exersizing, walking, talking to a friend for hours. So, it just personality :)

But Johnny Dep is the top dog by his skills. He’s a very talented actor. You can be the top dog according to your talents in certain kind of fields. But you’ve got to be very confident, assertive, fearless… otherwise the skills won’t be noticed.

10:41 AM Jun 28 2012 |

1 person likes this

S&W

S&W

China

It’s been long time for me to join this class,hehe.I think it’s hard to become the top dog.After all only one person can do this in a group and he or she maybe the most tired one .

07:06 AM Jun 28 2012 |

1 person likes this

S01142923Super Member!

Malaysia

I guess Johnny Depp is tired of having to compete to be the top dog in Hollywood. When you are the top dog, you feel like you are going to stay there forever. But reality is harsh,  what goes up, must comes down. Nobody can stay top dog permanently.

06:41 AM Jun 28 2012 |

yifangwang

China

NOt every could be the top dog,however,we can choose to become the top dog of ourselves in our our own heart.

05:07 AM Jun 28 2012 |

mickee85

mickee85

Philippines

I admire Johhny Depp, he is one of my favourite actor in Hollywood. Being a top dog is a greatest achievement, but it is just a tempory position especially in the world of Hollywood.

05:01 AM Jun 28 2012 |

1 person likes this

m.aster

m.aster

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

being to dog has itsown advantuers and dis advanture. you can be a famous person in your society but also you are on the eyes of other.

04:33 AM Jun 28 2012 |

sofree

sofree

China

I think I am right now, but I don’t really care… It brings more responsibility.

03:34 AM Jun 28 2012 |

1 person likes this

tjftina

tjftina

China

i used to be a top dog at my job. but after a major disease four years ago, i would rather prefer to be myself. when i was top dog i had to be a role model, but now i just do my best. keeping healthy is the most important thing for me.

03:14 AM Jun 28 2012 |

kahoku

kahoku

China

top dog is to respectability in his field. And do better than others

02:43 AM Jun 28 2012 |

1 person likes this

KittyZhou

KittyZhou

China

I think as a top dog should be the most tired thing.

02:20 AM Jun 28 2012 |

samirah

samirah

Saudi Arabia

julito,hhhhh i like your comment ;” i would rather prefer to be  just a dog”..........ROTF

01:41 PM Jun 27 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

As i am self-employed  i am the top dog  but to tell the truth  sometimes i would rather prefer to be  just a dog, as a top dog  i  am the only one responsible for my decisions  and  this puts an extra burden  in my mind .Cry

01:12 PM Jun 27 2012 |

Likes (26):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast