Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

bucket list

简体
bucket list
遗愿清单

Date: Aug 09 2012

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“It’s something to check off my bucket list.”

- Musician Carrie Underwood on getting interviewed by Oprah Winfrey. (Us Weekly)

“核对我的遗愿清单可真不简单。”

- 音乐家凯瑞·安德伍德 (Carrie Underwood) 在接受奥普拉·温弗瑞 (Oprah Winfrey) 采访时的谈话。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

list of things you want to do before you die

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Life is short, but we don’t always act like it is. Sometimes we put off doing things that we really want to do because we’re too afraid, or we think we’ll always have time to do them later. But for those things you feel like you just have to do at some point in your life, there’s your bucket list.

The expression bucket list comes from another expression, kick the bucket. Saying someone kicked the bucket is a funny, informal way of saying they died. It makes death seem a little less scary, and a little more humorous. Your bucket list is a list of things you really want to do before you die.

Some people have daring or adventurous things on their bucket list, like climbing a mountain or jumping out of an airplane. Other people might want to visit a special place before they die, or accomplish an important goal. Some might have more emotional things on their bucket list, like finding true love or changing another person’s life in a positive way.

The singer Carrie Underwood has already accomplished a lot. She achieved her dream of becoming a famous singer. Recently, she was able to cross another big item off her bucket list. She was interviewed by one of her heroes, Oprah Winfrey.

What would you put on your bucket list?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I finally accomplished one of the things on my bucket list, flying my own plane.”

“I don’t have a bucket list. I just want to enjoy every day.”

“Mary’s bucket list is all about travel and adventure.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

A list of things to do before you die.
by candycandice
Plx things to do before you die
by Plx
goodmahsa a list of things you wanna do before you die
by goodmahsa
cubi1604 The things you want to do before you die
by cubi1604
Talia Do Carrie means she wants to check off her list of things to do before she gets old and die.
by Talia Do
TITO007 A list of things to do before i die :(
by TITO007

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

whatever you do or plan in your life ,

if you dont love and not to be loved ,your bucket list will be empty always :)

they will say “life is short”.. its very true..thus, fill your bucket list with LOVE .

10:12 PM May 22 2014 |

Staisy

Staisy

Russian Federation

I  think, every  normal person should have a bucket list.

08:34 PM May 22 2014 |

Erise

Erise

Poland

A bucket list should  be filled and emptied during one’s life time not only  closer to the time of “kicking the bucket”.

08:01 PM Apr 09 2013 |

ezadmehr

ezadmehr

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Business Coaching Article | 5 Reasons You Should Make Your

If you haven’t already seen the movie starring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson, I recommend putting it on your to-do list.

In a nutshell, this is the list of the 100 things you want to do (places to go, people to meet, things to do) before you die (“kick the bucket”). Here’s why I think it’s a good idea to invest your time on this task:

1. Thinking about your list will remind you of your ‘why.’ So often, we are consumed by ‘how’ to do something (how to have a better life, make more money, spend time with family, etc.). In the process we overlook why we want these things, in essence, if we don’t know ‘why’, the ‘how’ makes little difference. The ‘why’ defines our purpose and helps to provide some motivation to persist in spite of the challenges along the way.

2. Periodically reviewing your list is a great way to re-energize. How often do we find ourselves so busy running on the ‘hamster-wheel’ of life that we lose sight of the bigger picture? By refreshing our perspective, we sharpen our focus and get back on track. Consider this: what are you more motivated to work for-what you want or what somebody else wants you to have?

3. Your reward list is ready to go. One of the most difficult things to do is to reward ourselves when we achieve a goal or milestone. We rationalize: “But there is still so much to do!” You work hard, don’t you? You deserve something special. Once you make this list, you have no excuse to deprive yourself. Now, when you set some great personal or business goals, you select the reward that accompanies their achievement.

4. You leverage the law of attraction. Read Michael Losier’s Law of Attraction to explore this phenomenon. By creating your list and sharing it, you send out a ‘vibration.’ That makes it possible for others to assist you in achieving your dreams. If you are very specific about what you want and communicate that to others, things fall into place over time. Of course this requires a positive attitude and some discipline on your part. Remember that when you construct your list.

5. Add to or build your legacy. How would you like to be remembered? Years from now, when stories are being told by your descendants at family gatherings, what distinction(s) would you like to hold? Consider the example you will set for future generations. What an awesome privilege and responsibility it is to share your knowledge, wisdom, and experience! And you had fun doing it, too! By the way, 100 is just a suggestion. You are only limited by your imagination and creativity. Encourage your spouse and friends to participate, and then compare your lists. You may discover something else you want to add to yours

08:53 PM Aug 23 2012 |

2 people like this

ErinDong

ErinDong

United States

I don’t have a bucket list. I do what I want to do right the moment I think of it. well, sometimes people have really big dreams like opening an orphanage. but I don’t have those big dreamsSmile

06:23 PM Aug 15 2012 |

punthita

punthita

Thailand

Laughing

12:00 AM Aug 15 2012 |

saeedshin

saeedshin

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

The most important thing in My bucket list is “EVERY TIME WAILK IN THE WAY THAT I HAVE OPTED AND CONTINUE TO THE END OF THE WAY WITH OUT ANY SURREFING”.... dont care about anything that everybody has said because if they could do something they had not said anything!!

09:41 AM Aug 11 2012 |

sanaa2000

sanaa2000

Egypt

I think I have asimple pucket list such as:do something useful to islam (be an active muslim who cares of allah every second ,tries to help pple & to show the nice picture of islam),marry agood muslim guy &have agood kidos,success more & more in my career,& improve my english & typing soon.Ask allah to accept our good deeds inshallah.

11:32 AM Aug 10 2012 |

1 person likes this

Jullieta

Jullieta

Russian Federation

My bucket list is to grow up my son and to travel with him arond the world.

10:21 AM Aug 10 2012 |

wennyhoang

wennyhoang

Viet Nam

my bucket list is to have a native speaker voice and to have a well-paid job, that can make my parents don’t worry about me ^^

05:21 AM Aug 10 2012 |

1 person likes this

shvan.toomare

Iraq

my bucket list is study master and travel to some where 

11:13 PM Aug 09 2012 |

1 person likes this

ziko7

ziko7

Yemen

imazing…..............

08:22 PM Aug 09 2012 |

raisacorrea

Brazil

I don’t need a bucked list… but I have my desires

08:17 PM Aug 09 2012 |

1 person likes this

koxa

koxa

Ukraine

leave the earth for several hours and look at it outside

06:47 PM Aug 09 2012 |

Shiry

Shiry

Saudi Arabia

Impressive !Wink

Frankly, I don’t have a bucket list.Sealed

But I think it’s kinda awesome to do things you wanna!Laughing

I’ve to admit that I’ve been thinking of many things I’d love to do it.Money mouth

They’re alot of things it won’t be enough in a becket list! LOL

And I hope I achieve them , even though it might not happen, but lets hope :).

Anyway, good luck to you !

Thanks!

Cool

04:54 PM Aug 09 2012 |

yuminaga

yuminagaSuper Member!

China

I dont ant bucket list yet but I need one I guess ,I have a lot to dreams to achieve,  for now I have been working hard for my family  for a long time .I am so beat, what do you want to do exactly I ask myself very offen .you are really doing what you want to do ?so I need a change ,be myself. 

02:03 PM Aug 09 2012 |

1 person likes this

dashalSuper Member!

Russian Federation

I’d to become free and to find true love

01:41 PM Aug 09 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

Wishing and dreaming are ageless privileges Cool

Before I kick the bucket I want to make sure it’s not full, otherwise it’d hurt my foot :)

What I meant by that is before I leave this place for good  I’d love to accomplish certain things that I hold very dearly inside. Now I will tell them to you, I will open the window of my soul to you…ready? (Creaky sound)

I would want to have a modest and comfortable lifestyle, be self-sufficient, and I would want to age gracefully and healthily. As far as entertaining myself, well I wouldn’t wish for anything over the top. I have a rare and rather peculiar sense for what the best things in life are; I don’t believe they ought to come with a gigantic price tag pinned to them; for instance, while the majority of old geezers would want to go for sky diving the Himalayas I’d choose swimming with dolphins instead, way cheaper!, and I don’t care if I have to catch the dolphins myself and cram them in my inflatable swimming pool, I’ll do it and I’ll have a heck of a good time doing it ;). I have no intent of getting rich, so practically, my bucket list consists of wishes that wouldn’t harm my retirement savings too much, so to speak. Furthermore, It shouldn’t take no more than 4 decades for a guy who’s naturally modest and compulsively adventurous and goal-driven like me to: earn my diploma, travel to all the continents, rent exotic sports cars that he can’t afford ;), attend a football match of his favorite team, be someone’s best man at his/her wedding, run a half-marathon and earn a bleeding nipple, own a Cannondale bicycle, scuba dive. Those are some of the things that would look good in my measly bucket list, but I expect to check them off before I reach the age of 40 ;), because I think they’re quite attainable.

But let’s pretend for a moment that those wishes are behind me now and that I’m somewhere between the age of 35 and 40 ;) and it’s time to replenish that bucket again. Now, while I could do without the fast cars and travelling all corners of Earth, I cannot imagine my life without having kids and grandkids . I love to picture myself coming home and greeted by some genuinely happy Snoopy’s little helpers ;) crawling up my back, wrapping themselves around my legs and yanking my tie ;). I would want them to be very playful, smart and respectful—Most importantly I would want to see my children bloom into individuals who would exceed my expectations, some people I could be proud of; oh last but not least I would want to have grandkids, who would put smiles on my face every time I look at them, just like their parents do. Those thoughts alone send chills down my spine; I would say that I’ve had a fulfilling life if most of those dreams could come into reality

Speaking of dreams , I would never forget one person I have had the chance to exchange some thoughts with, she’d told me something that had moved me; we were talking and she sounded like I do to you now, dreamy and out of this world confident about her future ; so I cut her off right when I thought she’d gone too far up into the clouds and told her “Dreams don’t always come true”, those words sent a raging flood of awkward silence around us ;). I felt a little uncomfortable, but only I knew, that the words I just uttered weren’t true, I had plenty of dreams that I was cherishing and when no one was around me I would wallow in wonderland just like her ;)—Meanwhile that girl was probably on the verge of tears because I had just crushed her dreams with a silly and fallacious statement. So, in the hope of appearing less unsympathetic to her I asked “do dreams really come true?  And if they do, how strongly do one has to believe in them for that to happen?”  She said with, at that time, the strongest display of wisdom on earth ;) “I’d rather go through life dreaming than not” I felt insanely good afterwards, I mean not your typical kind of feeling good, I was literally feeling “wow”, I felt like a little girl with long floating hair whose mom had just told to eat as much cotton candy  as she could . I realize how meaningful dreaming can be in someone’s life.

I believe in my dreams, do you?...don’t tell them to me, add them to your bucket lists and see how close you can get to achieving them. Dreaming is like having hope, hope adds zest to life and that could be very intriguing.

Smile

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Anja,  have you already seen that movie? This movie is very serious and dramatic and it leaves the deep footprint into our heart.

12:59 PM Aug 09 2012 |

1 person likes this

Ngubo Sixtus

South Africa

i do like the subject about bucket list

12:50 PM Aug 09 2012 |

Likes (30):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace