Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

make a fool of oneself

简体
make a fool of oneself
让自己难堪

Date: Sep 27 2012

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“The whole point of male stripping is to go out and make a fool of yourself. It’s not really sexy.”

- Movie star Channing Tatum on playing a stripper in the new film Magic Mike. (Glamour)

“男人跳脱衣舞的重点在于走出去,让自己难堪。并不是真的性感。”

- 影星查宁·塔图姆 (Channing Tatum) 在新电影《魔力麦克》(Magic Mike) 中饰演一名脱衣舞男。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

do something to make yourself look stupid or foolish

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

It’s hard to imagine anything more embarrassing than taking your clothes off in front of a room full of strangers. Fortunately, Channing Tatum doesn’t mind making a fool of himself, at least not when it’s for a movie.

In the new movie Magic Mike, Channing plays a dancer at a male strip club. The film is a comedy that pokes fun at the world of male strippers. Channing doesn’t take stripping very seriously. He thinks that for men, stripping is more about making a fool of yourself than trying to be sexy. Or maybe it’s a little of both.

A fool is a silly or unwise person. So when you make a fool of yourself, you act in a way that makes you seem silly. You might make a fool of yourself on purpose, in order to entertain or make people laugh. Or you might make a fool of yourself accidentally, by making a foolish mistake or doing something embarrassing.

For example, when a politician makes a bad mistake in a speech, he makes a fool of himself. Or when a musician forgets the words to her own song onstage, she makes a fool of herself. When learning a new language, you might worry about making a fool of yourself. But if you have an easygoing attitude about it like Channing Tatum, you’ll be just fine.

Have you ever made a fool of yourself? What happened?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I spilled food all over myself on my date with John last night. He’ll never like me now that I made such a fool of myself!”

“I didn’t prepare for my presentation and ended up making a fool of myself in front of the class.”

“Just do your best and don’t worry about making a fool of yourself during the talent show.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

To look stupid!
by ollichina
Julissita To act in a silly way.
by Julissita
Orchestra Act sillily, make everyone around think you're a fool
by Orchestra
to behave in an embarassing way.
by georgie25
dilek23 make yourself look funny in a away that everybody around are gonna make mock you
by dilek23
cubi1604 Embarrass yourself
by cubi1604
show your self stupid person
by sheitooonak
"Make a fool of oneself" means somebody becomes a laughing stock.
by wesleydenver

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Mikesenna

Mikesenna

Brazil

Behave in a strange way.

11:27 PM Oct 02 2012 |

Quike97

Quike97

Mexico

making a fool of yourself…. its a great phrase

09:03 PM Oct 01 2012 |

raisacorrea

Brazil

unfortunally, many times. I don’t remember one situation now, but I think nobody sane would like to make a fool of yourself.

07:15 PM Sep 30 2012 |

sarah313

sarah313

Iraq

when I was in   class to presentation English lesson   the supervisor  visited me  to see how I present the lesson and to see the students level in English after the lesson had finished he asked me if I can speak English or no I replied yes I can  when he asked me the first question I forgot every thing and I felt embarrassment that made me fool

12:57 PM Sep 28 2012 |

1 person likes this

haitham4vip

Egypt

foooooolish

09:24 PM Sep 27 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

not long ago I was asked to translate into spanish a talk delivered in english,honestly ,i couldnt keep up  with the speed of the orator and part of the talk  was not translated, some people were critical of my lame translation and let me know that i didnt do well,so embarrasing!!! then i thought,what the heck,am i going to feel down, this is me and Idid my best, i dont have to apologize ,next time look for another  guy

09:09 PM Sep 27 2012 |

dilek23

dilek23

Turkey

I made a fool of myself when I forgot to take my purse full of money with me, so I was unable to pay for taxi fee ! I thought it was high time for me to say ” oh my gosh!!!” However, the driver noticed how apprehensive I was checking my bag, and so he asked me what was wrong. I told him the story, and he told me to calm down and not to fret. He gave his bussiness card to me so that I could find him and pay later. Oh I was lucky to come across such an understading driver:):) 

06:45 PM Sep 27 2012 |

Estuardo2

Peru

Yes, I made a fool of myself when I gave an english class. I didin’t know what to do and i get nervous, but I had to take control of myself and i try to relax.Laughing

04:57 PM Sep 27 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

No, I don’t remember  such a fact. I don’t like to feel uneasily. Actually, I don’t like to make a mock of anybody. I think, it’s rude and cruel.

02:14 PM Sep 27 2012 |

rabindra shrestha

Nepal

in the concert just i was continue playing my guitar on the stage and in that time  just i forgot my guitar note and my guitar string also broke and all people laugh tomuch but that time that was my really make a fuck of myself….............Sealed

07:17 AM Sep 27 2012 |

wannicho

wannicho

China

i think we  all have the experience of making a fool of ourselves , once in a public chat room, a native speaker trying to make me look bad and putting me down by saying that to me , and i am glad i was able to defend myself .and u can also make a fool of other ppl , like trick them to do sth or have them fooled by you , but thats a mean thing to do __

05:39 AM Sep 27 2012 |

Ngubo Sixtus

South Africa

i like the phrase make a fool of myself 

03:30 AM Sep 27 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Yes, it’s so funny :)), it happened to me twice. The people who were around still remind me about it and laugh at it. Once crossing the road and hurrying up before a man signal turns into a hand one and another one when catching a bus and hurrying up before the doors close. In both cases, you start running but then you trip over on sth and start falling and at the same time you want to make it to the goal. You can’t miss a bus and you can’t fall on the road with the cars to start moving at any second. So in that falling/running with your body stooping over and craning neck forward, you make a fool of yourself. It’s uncontrollable though but maybe for another person it’s controllable as he/she just don’t care and walk slowly across the road as mostly of the people do, when I’m in a car and a passer-by crosses the road deliberately slowly- slowly and the same with the bus – there’re always be another one – why to run :) People are different. But I want exatly that bus and get a perfect timing crossing a road. I don’t want to be run over. People are different ;)

02:45 AM Sep 27 2012 |

Erkaamgaa

Erkaamgaa

Mongolia

What a nice phrase for me, hahahaha

Because I was always make a fool of myself when I give a presentation for class in front of my classmates,  especially the start of my speech I have bigtime stagefright, you know how bad it is. But I keep making fool of myself and  trying something to fix it, then I guess  I got it. Cool

02:19 AM Sep 27 2012 |

Mr. Learner

Peru

I hated the idea of talking about male strippers, but I liked the sentence “Make a Fool of Yourself”

~

12:54 AM Sep 27 2012 |

Likes (25):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: