简体
Shed Some Light English, baby! Video Lesson
给人启发

Learn English with this emergency English lesson

Date: Jan 15 2013

Themes: Soap Opera

Grammar: Direct vs. Reported Speech

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

If you don’t have all the information about something, it can feel like you’re in the dark. Your eyes are open, but you just can’t see. If someone gives you some helpful information, you can say they shed some light on the situation.

When someone sheds light on something, they reveal something about it or help you see it more clearly. For instance, during a trial, new evidence can shed some light on the case and help everyone discover the truth.

Jeff was having a conversation with Greta when suddenly the lights went out because of a big storm outside. Learn English and find out if Jeff stays in the dark in this English lesson.

如果你对某事一知半解,就像身处黑暗当中。虽然已经睁开双眼,却什么都看不到。如果有人给你一些有用的信息,这时便可以说“they shed some light on the situation”(他们给了我启发)。

有人给你启发时,他们会向你透露一些相关信息或帮你更清楚地认清一件事。例如,在审判过程中,新的证据可以对案件裁决有所启发,帮助大家发现真相。

杰夫正在和格丽塔谈话,外面的暴风雨致使灯突然熄灭。学习英语,并在本堂英语课中了解杰夫是否身处黑暗之中。

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Greta

Greta

Mason

Mason

Jeff

Jeff

Amanda

Amanda

Greta:  Finally, the phone company shed some light on the situation. They said, “The call is coming from inside the house!”

Mason:  Whoa, dude. Whoa. Whoa!

Jeff:  Amanda must have found the backup generator.

Amanda:  No thanks to you guys.

Mason:  It is scary out there!

Jeff:  Let’s see what’s going out there.

Greta:  Thanks for shedding some light on the situation, Amanda.

Jeff:  Man, look at that.

Greta:  Look at all the water in the streets…

Jeff:  Yeah, the drains are clogged. The streets are flooding. That car is stuck right there. There’s no pressure out there. Look at these clouds, look how dark they are.

Greta:  Really? You think so?

Jeff:  Yeah. There’s another stuck car. It’s not safe to go out there. I think we’re gonna be stuck here all night, maybe all weekend.

Greta:  No, we can’t! I have appointments. Where are we gonna sleep? What are we gonna eat? Are we going to have to eat each other!?

Amanda:  Jeff, thanks for shedding some light on the situation with the storm. That’s top notch.

Jeff:  Not a problem. I’m an amateur climatologist.

Amanda:  OK. I think that’s enough.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Direct vs. Reported Speech" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Greta is just finishing up a scary story, when the lights suddenly come on. Amanda found the backup energy source. She’s not very pleased that no one helped her do it.

Jeff and Greta take a look at the weather. The streets are full of water, and cars are stuck everywhere. The clouds are dark. Jeff thinks that they’ll be stuck at the office overnight, and maybe all weekend.

This news freaks Greta out. What will they eat? Where will they sleep? Will they become cannibals? Amanda tries to take control of the situation. She thanks Jeff for the information, but realizes that he might also be making people panic.

Have you ever been caught in an emergency situation like the one at the office? Were there any particular individuals who tried to shed some light on the situation? Do you tend to be a leader in an emergency?

Comments

yuminaga

yuminagaSuper Member!

China

unforturnately I never experienced  something like that.its almost hard to think of the situation that is  stuck at the office overnight without food ,electricity,it could be a horrifying thing .

09:21 AM Jan 20 2013 |

Mk-Babar

Mk-Babar

Pakistan

Anybody interested to practice English and to share knowledge.. add me at skype.. We will have chating, voice calls, conference calls.
skype id: cruiser40403

11:46 AM Jan 19 2013 |

1 person likes this

elisa9926

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

well. i have been in dangerous situations a lot. although i was shoked ،i kept cool quickly and instad i tried to shed light on situation and help other people. i belive dangerous situatons make us stronger.

08:05 AM Jan 19 2013 |

wannicho

wannicho

China

few years ago, i stayed with my parents , there was a shortage of running water in my hometown for weeks and  rumors had it , the situation might be kept going on for months , and everyone was panicked, bec ppl were waiting in line (frankly, got all they had,include fighting ,finding connectons, bullying … to got water from the water truck they send to the town few times a day ), i didn’t had to face that since i was under my parents roof and was taken care of , so i miss my home

02:41 PM Jan 16 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Ryanman,  your welcome,  practice, practice  is the key  .   

09:25 PM Jan 15 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

In  Buenos Aires , whenever we  have a heavy storm , the capital turns into a  nightmare , flooded streets, clogged sewers , cars  drifting away  with the current  ,basements flooded ,   and to top it all off , power  outages  in many  districts . Some businesses  ,to cope with this situation, although it is too noisy ,have   bought  a back up generator  . To shed some light  on the situation, I have suggested to buy for my home   a battery operated fluorescent lamp  that at least  will light up   for about  five hours.   Better than nothing. !!!  

08:42 PM Jan 15 2013 |

ezel filiz

ezel filiz

United States

My native country Where English Language is taught as a foreign language ,you can’t find such vocab words especially in the schools and even at the faculties,therefore I’d like to thank every doer in this unique work.

08:39 PM Jan 15 2013 |

Englishty

Englishty

Egypt

A few days ago it rained so hard in my city for a constant three or four days and the streets were full of water that the cars were literally swimming and some people were completely stuck in their houses and it was so crazy but fortunately it’s all over now. What a coincidence this lesson speaks to me. 

05:00 PM Jan 15 2013 |

1 person likes this

friendlover

Turkey

I think I am not born to be a leader. Especially in tough stuations. Leadership is not for me. 

finna.liu, I totally understand you because I felt van earthquake deeply last year. It was absolutely terrible.

03:57 PM Jan 15 2013 |

ryanman

Nigeria

hi giys. i am ryanman frum africa. i cume here to lern engrilsh. wut practis shud i do hear?

02:51 PM Jan 15 2013 |

1 person likes this

Irene Forever

Ukraine

Thank you, dear Baset.:)

I am lucky to get a portion of attention from  you today.

Happy to be your friend !

02:47 PM Jan 15 2013 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

Dear Irene

Irene Forever

: i’m sorry to forget someone as nice as you !
In fact , it is very rare to find a friend like you in these days and I definitely consider myself very lucky to have friend as wonderful as you in Ebaby  .

02:23 PM Jan 15 2013 |

finna.liu

finna.liu

China

i think i will be panic and not a leader in the similar situation….

i remembered that when 2008. 5.12 WenChuan Earthquake, i was very scary when i realized that everything was shaking slightly. especially when some one shed some light about the earthquake i was very worried about my parents and sister( at that time i have been at a safe place) !  i was wondering where were they,whether my parents and sister were at a safe place and so on.

luckily, there was no loss in my place because my place is far away from earthquake focus. but i was a great loss in WenChuan China. 

02:14 PM Jan 15 2013 |

MINA~seven

China

I feel unsafe when I take the elevator everyday!‘!!

02:03 PM Jan 15 2013 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

Basset, Joy and Laila, what a great frienship, indeed!

01:54 PM Jan 15 2013 |

LAILA ALI

LAILA ALI

Malaysia

Dear brother :

you always find the right words to say  !

YOU ALWAYS SAY BEAUTIFUL WORDS !

DEAR BROTHER : THANK YOU !

12:27 PM Jan 15 2013 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

Dear sister

LAILA ALI

I still remembering  those days when I was alone at englishbaby ( you know ) in that point of my lives where I couldn’t see any hope in this site( i was in a dark place ) . You brought me the light of hope and paved me through the right way. You have always supported me and stood beside me in every ups and downs of my lives. Now, it’s my turn, I promise you ( Dear Sister ) that I will always treat you as my princess and will stand in front you and protect you from every problem.

12:22 PM Jan 15 2013 |

LAILA ALI

LAILA ALI

Malaysia

Hey Baset , that it was Joy LEE ! What about ME ????

12:15 PM Jan 15 2013 |

Angels ArcosSuper Member!

Spain

I’m not sure what would be my reaction in a similar situation. Usually I’m quite calm, so, I thing I would be calm.

11:27 AM Jan 15 2013 |

1 person likes this

Miss Afsaneh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

good…

it was informative …interesting

09:06 AM Jan 15 2013 |

1 person likes this

Likes (22):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook