Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

put it out there

简体
put it out there
直言不讳

Date: Apr 18 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I shouldn’t put it out there, but I can see us living here one day.”
- Comedian Ellen DeGeneres on the possibility of moving to Australia (People)

“我不该直言不讳,但是我想我们总有一天会居住在这里。”
- 喜剧演员艾伦·德杰尼勒斯 (Ellen DeGeneres) 谈论移居澳大利亚的可能性。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

suggest, bring up

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Let’s say you’re hanging out with a group of friends. Everyone is arguing over where to eat dinner. One friend wants pizza, another wants Chinese food, and another is in the mood for falafel. Getting sick of all the arguing, you speak up: “Can I just put this out there?” you say. “What if everyone got the kind of food he or she wanted, and we all went back to eat at my house?”

When you have an idea or a thought and you put it out there, you’re not making a strong argument. You’re simply adding that idea to the conversation. You’re putting your thoughts out into the air. You put the idea out there and give others the opportunity to pick it up and do something about it.

As a celebrity, Ellen DeGeneres knows that when she speaks, people listen. Therefore, she has to be especially careful about what she puts out there. She just had a great trip to Australia, and she could imagine living there one day. She’s so excited about it that she puts the thought of living in Australia out there, even though she’s not committed to the idea of moving yet.

When you are having a discussion and you have an idea, do you usually make a strong argument or just put your idea out there?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I’m just going to put it out there: I could really go for a burger right now. Do you want to go to the diner?”

“I shouldn’t even put it out there, but have you ever been to Hawaii? Tickets are really cheap right now.”

“Don’t argue with me, I was just putting it out there! I don’t really care either way.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

DAMAVAND To say something, even if you're not sure, it's right or appropriate.
by DAMAVAND
Julissita To say it publicly.
by Julissita
a2020 It mean pose something.
by a2020
Make it public
by DarknessLight
Nanexsa One means to throw in an idea into a conversation
by Nanexsa

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

whipiry

whipiry

South Korea

put a idea out there sometimes during some discussions. it could be chosen one of the brillent ideas this month . it’s sort of brain-stroming. got a good idea popped up in my brain. however, sometimes, without a deep thought, i could bring some ideas up , which makes me bugged for that. ^^

I DON’T KNOW WHICH IS GOOD , a life is somewhere whether my willing intends or not.

07:15 AM Apr 25 2013 |

Orchestra

Orchestra

Russian Federation

As far as well-known russian adage goes, the word you’re saying is not like a sparrow you can easily catch and then get back as it has flied out). That’s why I wouldn’t rather put an idea out there when I’m not sure in what I’m thinking or saying) 

07:37 PM Apr 20 2013 |

alzhbeta

alzhbeta

Belarus

Of course, this is your choice – to tell or not to tell. but sometimes it happened like, you put an idea out and thinking “oOps” i didn’t mean it really, i just put it out.. this is all about your carrying what you have to say  all the time.
you just might let yourself to relax and be confident even if you “put an idea out”.

07:33 AM Apr 19 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

When in a discussion   I like to put out my ideas out , but I am unconcern if they are accepted or not , If I trust the people I am involved with, I let them go their way.

09:03 PM Apr 18 2013 |

Whisper of Hearts

Egypt

I usually make a strong argument…and try to persuad the others sametimes

07:52 PM Apr 18 2013 |

Ya Nina

Kazakhstan

When I am having a discussion with my friends, relatives or colleagues, I definitely try to find out a strong argument for convince them in my point. Sometimes I try to put some interesting successful idea that everybody like it. Certainly not always my idea is liked everybody. You have to agree that to satisfy all wishes are rather hard.

Actually I’m sure that in every issue we have to try to find out a compromise. All our life is a compromise. We look for a compromise with our parents in our childhood and our parents try to do the same thing. Otherwise we get unending conflict between fathers and children. When we grow up, we seek a compromise in our own family, with our husband/wife and already our children. If we aren’t tried to do it, a family can ruin and our children always will be accuse us in that and other sins. Finally we constantly look for a compromise in our professional life. Otherwise we never go professional in own business. Therefore we always have to be flexible, optimistic and positive person for everybody and first of all for yourself.    

02:11 PM Apr 18 2013 |

2 people like this

lisa6264

lisa6264

Taiwan

tell everybody

11:19 AM Apr 18 2013 |

2 people like this

naira71

naira71

Azerbaijan

If a man is able to put his idea out there,he is a happy man.Arguing doesnt lead to konsolidation and everyone keeps his point of opinion.

08:33 AM Apr 18 2013 |

DarknessLight

Germany

I usually put my ideas out there and see who agrees with me.

07:56 AM Apr 18 2013 |

2 people like this

Eliza09

Eliza09

United States

laura is so nervious to put it out there, although her boss is a friendly person.

04:56 AM Apr 18 2013 |

1 person likes this

kai858

kai858

China

I do put it out there of the girl who everyday call me for out dinner.

02:46 AM Apr 18 2013 |

haitham4vip

Egypt

express something bad or good

12:43 AM Apr 18 2013 |

2 people like this

Likes (16):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace