简体
Justin Timberlake's The 20/20 Experience
贾斯汀·汀布莱克的《The 20/20 Experience》

Learn English with this music English Lesson

Date: May 20 2013

Themes: Celebrity, Music, Pop Culture

Grammar: Comparatives and Superlatives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The 20/20 Experience is the newest album by pop artist Justin Timberlake. It’s his first album since he went on a musical hiatus in 2006. The album incorporates many musical styles, including older and newer styles of soul music.

What does the title mean? When your doctor tells you you have “20/20” vision, she or he means that your vision is perfect. Maybe this means that JT thinks that after his time off he can now see perfectly? But does perfect vision mean perfect songs? Hear Greta tell Lily what she thinks of this comeback album in this music English lesson.

《The 20/20 Experience》(完美视界)是流行音乐歌手贾斯汀·汀布莱克的最新专辑。这是他自 2006 年进入音乐沉寂期以来的首张专辑。该专辑融合了多种音乐风格,包括各类新老风格的灵魂音乐。

专辑的名称有何深意?如果医生告诉你,你拥有“20/20”的视力,那就意味着你拥有完美视力。或许这个名字是说,贾斯汀觉得在休息之后,如今自己可以完美地观察世界了?但是,完美视界是否意味着歌曲也同样完美?在本节以音乐为话题的英语课上,听听格里塔对莉莉讲述她对这张复出专辑的看法。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Greta

Greta

Lily

Lily

Greta:  Lily, have you heard Justin Timberlake’s new album, The 20/20 Experience?

Lily:  No, but I’ve seen the cover, and it looks very intriguing.

Greta:  It’s a great cover, and I have to say I am a devout fan. I love JT. And this was my least favorite album that he’s ever made.

Lily:  Oh.

Greta:  And I feel very bad saying that, because I am a huge fan.

Lily:  What’s so bad about it?

Greta:  I feel like maybe it got too over-hyped, and maybe it was him trying to make this big comeback into the music scene. And he plays with a lot of different types of music. He’s got some neo-soul, and some older soul kind of inspired songs, and it just… I don’t know. It’s one of those things, I can’t put my finger on it. It doesn’t have whatever that magic was that was in his first two albums that made his fan base explode and turned him from this boy band into a legitimate artist. It just doesn’t have that thing.

Lily:  It kinda sucks that his album isn’t that great.

Greta:  It does. And I will be devoted to him forever. I will let this album go. It’s not a big deal, but I was disappointed.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Comparatives and Superlatives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Lily asks Greta if she’s heard the new Justin Timberlake album, The 20/20 Experience. Greta has heard it, and though she’s typically a devout member of JT’s fan base, she doesn’t think the album’s very good.

It’s hard for her to explain what’s not good about it, though. He tries out several different types of music, but it’s missing something. It’s missing that mysterious thing that makes an OK album a great one. Greta still plans to be a fan forever, though.

Have you heard the new JT album? What do you think? Have you ever been disappointed by a new album from one of your favorite artists?

Comments

Sarena

Sarena

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i dont know him very well….

u gotta search about him and know him…...

06:51 PM Apr 22 2015 |

1 person likes this

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

Justin Timberlake

;s grilfreind haveing a baby. I happy for the both of them.

06:17 PM Apr 22 2015 |

princessanika

Love him and His songs and Love his dance:)

01:15 PM Jun 15 2014 |

1 person likes this

alroqeimi

alroqeimi

Yemen

iam intersting with gentlewomen

04:47 PM May 30 2013 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

We all have ups and downs, glorious successful moments interspersed with some mistakes. It’s obvious, the life in waves, otherwise would be so boring. There’re many reasons of his failure to live up to the hype: the popularity has faded, the newer, the younger, more full of energy, aggression, like Justin Bieber, took over and had won the hearts of the young girls. I was watching yesterday the competition of SYTYCD and felt that  hip-hop, somersaults, stunning, acrobatic motions make people more excited rather than classic movements that also got the winning ticket but the big ”WOW” was always for sth new, never seen before, full of energy, contemporary, modern. That’s the hint – time is changing and with it the trends that dictate likes and dislikes…

09:34 PM May 20 2013 |

1 person likes this

Mystical_Pal

Turkey

I’m into music, therefore I rarely miss new released albums. Justin Timberlake’s album is one of them. In my opinion, he has a good voice and his songs are easy on the ear. It rarely irritates. Apart from these, his songs are cacthy as Stephieee remarked below. 

07:51 PM May 20 2013 |

Stephieee

Stephieee

Poland

I’ve never been a big fan of Justin’s music and I haven’t heard his whole new album, but I heard one song “Mirrors” few days ago and I think it’s catchy and has good lyrics. And JT dedicated videoclip to his grandparents. It’s touching!

06:18 PM May 20 2013 |

1 person likes this

CyrilCui

CyrilCui

China

I was still looking forward to learning the lesson about Justin Timberlake before, since I like his songs very much (even though in fact I am not a real fan of him). Today it is achieved, but I have to say I don’t agree with Greta. The true great songs can bring us a lot of sensations, and I think the forms of songs are not very important for those fans or ordinary listeners who love his works truly.

I have heard the new JT album, and my favorite single is “Mirrors”. This song is awesome and when I listen to it I will remember a lot of lost things, such as the lost love, friendship and other relationship, etc. I also like its music video a lot!

I have been disappointed by a new album from one of my favorite artists. One of my favorites is Jay Chou (a famous Taiwan male singer), but he doesn’t have great songs in recent years. I still hope he will bring us fans surprising or amazing songs like before, and I plan to be a fan of him forever, though it is hard.

09:41 AM May 20 2013 |

Marcel We

Marcel We

Germany

To be honest I like his new album “The 20/20 Experience” but I can understand what Lily means: For sure it’s kind of over-hyped but as whipiry already said that’s always the same and I by myself wasn’t suprised that it doesn’t contain this kind of magic like in his first two albums ‘cause I think he wanted to try out something new ( ... because otherwise it would be boring) and I also think that he did it quite well. I like his new songs like for example “Suit & Tie” or “Mirrors” and to be sure he had nothing to lose ‘cause he always seems like a really sympathetic guy and I think his fans still like him.

07:47 AM May 20 2013 |

1 person likes this

shaerwan

shaerwan

Syrian Arab Republic

i havent heard it yet.

yes i have been disappointed by a album of a favourite artist and that really bother me a lot

07:24 AM May 20 2013 |

whipiry

whipiry

South Korea

after time off for signers, it generally over-hyped from critices,,,,progressive..new try to be improved…blur blur…i can’t put my fingers on it, but its sort of gernal move. fan base would like it whatever it is , they just want to have a signer they like coming into the music scene. 

i am not dovout fan to some singers, but some signer re-appearance looks good on me…cause not because of songs,,,but singers…themselves…

05:36 AM May 20 2013 |

m_bahal

m_bahal

i have not heard JT album antill now ! but i deside search in the internet now for download his song and listen to his sound :-)

04:02 AM May 20 2013 |

1 person likes this

apatchi

apatchi

Justin Timberlake is not my favorite singer but I like his performance.

03:19 AM May 20 2013 |

Likes (23):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast