Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Science Experiments
Science Experiments

Learn English with this robots English lesson

Date: Feb 19 2020

Themes: Hobbies, How To, Tech

Grammar: Gerunds vs. Infinitives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Are you the kind of person who likes to understand how something works? Do you spend your free time putting objects, liquids or foods together to find out what will happen? Maybe you tried building a robot or rocket. Or perhaps you tried turning your little brother into a frog. Science is fun for you, and you enjoy learning through experiments.

In movies, science experiments make monsters or terrible things happen. We have Frankenstein and Godzilla because of science. But good things come from science, too, and not just in movies. Because people use science to study the world, we can treat sick people and clean dirty water. People who build robots as children sometimes grow up to be great scientists.

Do Jeff and Rafael conduct science experiments? Find out in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Rafael

Rafael

Jeff

Jeff

Rafael:  Jeff, check out this new science experiment I’m working on.

Jeff:  Oh, yeah? What’s that? I used to do those.

Rafael:  I’m making a miniature robot that can basically lift a pencil for you. Doesn’t that sound so cool?

Jeff:  Yeah, but look. I can do it myself.

Rafael:  That’s true. You can do it yourself, but it’s really fun to conduct an experiment and try to make something new.

Jeff:  You know, man, I used to do that when I was a kid. But I grew out of that. That’s kid stuff.

Rafael:  What kind of hypotheses did you have when you were a kid?

Jeff:  I don’t know. To see if I could hit the neighbor kid with a snowball from 100 yards away.

Rafael:  You probably have to regulate the amount of force that the snowball gets thrown with, right?

Jeff:  I did that. It only took me two or three tries. It worked out nicely, if I remember.

Rafael:  And you may feel like you have outgrown it, but if you keep conducting experiments, it keeps your mind nice and sharp.

Jeff:  You know what? You have a point there.

Rafael:  It can be time-consuming, and there are a lot of variables, but at the end of the day, I don’t know other people who can make robots that pick up pencils for you.

Jeff:  Or hit the neighbor kid from a half block away with a snowball.

Rafael:  Maybe you and I can work on a robot that can do both.

Jeff:  Hey! Good idea.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Gerunds vs. Infinitives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Rafael is working on a science experiment. He’s trying to build a robot that can pick up a pencil. Jeff reminds Rafael that he can pick up his own pencil, but that doesn’t stop Rafael from sharing his excitement for the project. Besides, as he points out, working on science experiments helps keep your brain working at its best.

At first, Jeff says he’s outgrown science experiments and seems to think that Rafael is behaving like a child. But as they talk, he remembers how much fun he had trying his own experiments as a boy. By the end of their conversation, it seems that Rafael has convinced Jeff that they should work together. Who knows what could happen?

Do you enjoy science experiments? If you could make anything, what would it be?

Comments

DanielBorges

Portugal

I think sicence experiments are very important as it aloud to develop new knowlegde.

I would like to try hydroponics plantations or autosustained vertical gardens!

08:34 AM Apr 17 2018 |

fatiasaf

Morocco

i liked this dailog ,for me it’s so nice to start with some thing funny firstly than passed to serious things , as you know a lot of famous scientific people start with simple and  funny things than this last  come very big serious expirements  ho changes a  lot of things in the world.

01:03 AM Jul 16 2014 |

ahmet55

ahmet55

Germany

In my opinion there is no funny thing in making something new in connection with scientific experiments. If u want to invent a new method or create something for first time u have to work hard and hard. There is nothing to be achieved without overcoming one hardship after another. It’s some kind of time-consuming process. There are lots of things that go wrong and need to be fixed. Sometimes I enjoy but in a few cases not. It depends on utensils, your colleagues, working place and lots of other thing to be delight of doing experiments in laboratory. 

Nowadays, investigation on creating a novel simple way to product Molybdenum from its concentrate (Molibdenite(MoS2)) is the title of the project which i deal with it for a while. I did not gain what i have to take yet. It has taken 7 months of my time. I was getting disappointed about this. 

06:30 PM Mar 12 2014 |

bravevivian

Ecuador

I think science experiments make life easier.  It’s good there are people searching, inventing, trying new things and solving different problems.

I would love to have a machine to measure love :D 

05:46 PM Mar 06 2014 |

mariakave

United States

very interesting article, I think it will be very good for all children and students.

http://www.loola2.com

09:43 AM Mar 04 2014 |

amitsagial

United States

Learn interesting science and technology facts by experimenting with different materials that react in surprising ways. You’ll find a lot of experiments can be done using simple ingredients found around your house.

SEO Company in OC

09:02 AM Mar 04 2014 |

saveme911

saveme911

Algeria

if i could invent sth ,it would be a device that can wake me up early without spoiling my mood ....u know in spring waking up early may need some…some…incessant bird singing or …..i don’t know…

08:12 PM Mar 02 2014 |

Majids

Majids

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I believe We can see the God’s footsteps in the sphere of science,especialy when we do a science experiment…We watch rules and commands very regularly.i like it.

10:27 AM Mar 02 2014 |

1 person likes this

kowatch

kowatch

Hungary

I like watching such tv shows like Brainiac, Mythbusters or others which present interesting science experiments.

08:35 AM Mar 02 2014 |

alexa1

alexa1

Saudi Arabia

yes i do , especially when we did some of experiments at school, it was more fun,

i don’t remember i did science experiments at home or tried to fix something broken but i have one of my siblings who likes to fix things.

11:52 PM Mar 01 2014 |

am.h768

am.h768

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

When I was a kid I did love to invent something new. I remember we had a broken radio and I always had tried to fix it and the good thing was that every time that I failed, I never gave up and I tried next time harder. I don’t remember what happend to that radio but now I’m in no mood to fix anything :) .

09:43 AM Mar 01 2014 |

1 person likes this

bellaboo2422

Pakistan

YUp I Do. TOdays TOpic Is Really Very IntresTinG AnD I HaD ExperImeNtEd Lot Of Things In My ChILdhood. Now DayS If I WoULD Try To Do An Experiment  It Would Be On Plants To Grow SomE New Varites Of FrUiTs And VeGitablES.

06:41 AM Mar 01 2014 |

Jobee

Jobee

China

science makes perfect,that’s true.I guess condcting experiments make both your brain and your hands smart and sharp.Each man should have a scientific heart,do not be outgrown.

03:11 AM Mar 01 2014 |

kulirav

Albania

I love science experiments. It does consume time doing a experiment,but it is fun.When I was younger, I tried science experiments when I had free time. It is fun, you should do it when you got time.

11:41 PM Feb 28 2014 |

kmonte

Costa Rica

Well, science experiments are not my passion, but if I could make anything I would like to build a housekeeper robot! jeje

06:46 PM Feb 28 2014 |

Vadim V.

Vadim V.

Russian Federation

I was trying to build an airplane when I was a kid. And I made one out of wood boards, but it wasn’t actually flying because the engine was missing. But anyway, my parents were really proud of me.

06:31 PM Feb 28 2014 |

ttsuka

ttsuka

Japan

You know? I wonder if Rafael is in fact a robot like the one in Star Trek, not Spock but the one that glitters, because, well, he speaks like one of those here. That would be so cool! Oh, I got it, E-Baby is experimenting with us the effectiveness of robot-based English teaching. It’s working well if you wanna know an interim result, but the key is you should never let us notice that. 

04:10 PM Feb 28 2014 |

raybanbcn

raybanbcn

Spain

Make scientist experiments is very fun, I used to do it when I was a child  but now I’m adult and I don’t have excuse. 

All the children should grow with these kind of experiments  because this develops his brain . 

I want to do experiments again !! 

03:53 PM Feb 28 2014 |

angel_ eyes

Pakistan

I like magic.

12:10 PM Feb 28 2014 |

1 person likes this

S&W

S&W

China

I had made a tiny Christmas tree with cardboard ,Pouring sodium chloride solution and wait few minutes round granular snow would show upon the tree,That’s amazing

08:34 AM Feb 28 2014 |

Likes (20):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast