Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

day in and day out

day in and day out

Date: Nov 08 2018

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“You’re there day in and day out. You’re the person that has the closest relationship with all the crew members, with the director, with the producers. And you really feel part of that ensemble that you don’t feel necessarily if you’re, like I have been, more of a supporting actor.”

Actor Kit Harington, talking about his lead role in the movie Pompeii (Moviefone)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

all the time

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

There are some things in life that we know are always true. For example, we know that the sun will rise every morning and set every evening. We know that there are 24 hours in each day. Many of us also have certain habits or activities that we always do. We have routines like eating, sleeping, and brushing our teeth that are part of our lives day in and day out. Just like the sun rising and the clock ticking, these activities happen every day.

Sometimes, the things that happen day in and day out are not good. The lady who talks about her cat day in and day out might be lonely and a little crazy. It’s clear she needs a new topic for conversation. The man who is at the office day in and day out might work too much. Maybe he is making a lot of money, but he probably has little time for family and friends.

For actor Kit Harington, working on the movie Pompeii became a day in and day out activity. Since he was the lead actor in the movie, he had to be on set every day. Making the movie was a normal part of his life.

What activities are part of your life day in and day out? Do you prefer things to stay the same or to change?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My neighbor plays really loud hip hop day in and day out.”

“My baby brother is obsessed with trucks. He talks about trucks day in and day out.”

“She wears her hair the same way day in and day out. It’s time for a change!”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

nataliau all day long, you are here when working day starts, and you are still here when working day is finished
by nataliauSuper Member!
Manu4 Being full time involved on something
by Manu4
a2020 All the time.
by a2020
every day for a long time
by studentgirl1992
day in day out means often
by Valentina Monaco

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

borad78

borad78

Turkey

I go to work day in and day out:)

02:22 PM Nov 08 2018 |

1 person likes this

Lisafei

Lisafei

China

Repetitive and boring

02:29 AM Nov 08 2018 |

1 person likes this

blocky_2013

China

“Life is a film”. A ex-college told me, he’s right about most parts of life I ammit

09:18 AM Mar 29 2014 |

TranceSoul

TranceSoul

Poland

Of course, our job is that thing we do day in and day out..at least the most of us. It doesn’t have to mean something bad although it sometimes becomes monotonous. 

We do day in and day out so many things that I can’t imagine how our life would function without it. It is our some social system and I think there are things that should stay the same and are the ones that we should change.

08:02 PM Mar 28 2014 |

1 person likes this

river lov

China

do things day in and day out will be more easy  and comfortable for us….but we still should keep change ,bcz change bring us excited & colorful life…

05:52 AM Mar 28 2014 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

:))

03:19 AM Mar 28 2014 |

AlexKR

AlexKR

Poland

I hate routine :/ Doing the same thing day in and day out would be for me like hell! Of course we have to do some things in this way. But it’s better to put them in our unconsciousness and be open for sometnig new and unpredictable :)

09:30 PM Mar 27 2014 |

ahmet55

ahmet55

Germany

Fortunately aside from some especial routine activities like wake up, go to sleep, brush my teeth and so on i’ve got a wide variety of things to go through all day long and even those items usually change tremendously once in a while. In my opinion most of our routines depends our attitudes. BTW, last year i did many things day in and day out. However i turned into be another one bcz several of them annoyed me. Also, They learned me effective experiences. To make a breife summary, the only person can change our life is ourselves.

03:25 PM Mar 27 2014 |

AryelLanes

AryelLanes

Brazil

Ok ok, maybe we do need to get a few things done day in and day out, but let’s be honest: it makes life monotone, tiresome! At least I feel like that. I’m always renewing everything: my belongings, my habits, my routine, my friends, etc. I need that. Keep what must be kept and get rid of the rest! It sounds a little extremist, I know, but it my opinion, the unknown is what makes life more interesting. I live by this principle…

12:42 PM Mar 27 2014 |

munisa alimatova

Uzbekistan

Actually, in my view, to do something “day in and day out” its good when we want to achieve to our goals. Nowadays, i study “day in and day out” cos i really want to reach for my goals.!!!

08:40 AM Mar 27 2014 |

1 person likes this

Tahereh

Tahereh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

every thing that you often do, you are doing it “day in and day out”. of course it is’nt only what you do, maybe what happen for you frequently and most of your life time, you can use “day in and day out” for it.

I think if you want to be a successful and prominent person, you should do some thing day in and day out, what you should do? it depends on who you want to be.

07:44 AM Mar 27 2014 |

jansladek

jansladek

Slovakia

I like to read a book day in and day out,bt sometimes it´s difficult to arange it while I have to go working and doing some other things in our flat.

But reading is day in and day out stuff of me…

07:39 AM Mar 27 2014 |

nellina

nellina

Russian Federation

I, like all the inhabitants of large cities is in a constant race day in and day out not only at work, but everywhere,because sense that we`ll not have time to do, to learn and try everything in this life constantly tends us. We are ready to sacrifice our sleep and health to get everything up and overtake everybody.

06:58 AM Mar 27 2014 |

kenlin16

kenlin16

Taiwan

My job rutine is a day in and  day out stuff. I don’t mind doing the job since it is a R&D job. However, like every profit bussines, a R&D job has to be profitabe. So, as a designer, you’re facing the new chanllege every time. It may sound good for people alway do the same routine day in and day out. Yet, when it come to the dead line, that’s when this job turns into a creditor, asking you to pay day in and day out. So, sometimes, I got confused that the R&D job is my day in and day out thing or to work hard to pay the debt is really my day in and day out stuff.

06:19 AM Mar 27 2014 |

jskimvip

jskimvip

South Korea

I am flying day in and day out.

I love that and want to do that cutinuiusly.

03:18 AM Mar 27 2014 |

alexa1

alexa1

Saudi Arabia

when you do things overboard it may comes against you, like when the lady talks about her cat day in and day out, that it would let people thinks there is something wrong with her. anyway i love cats 

02:45 AM Mar 27 2014 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

I love languages. I can learn them day in and day out. I’m actaully very curious person trying everything, and all those activities kinda eventually go to the background but learning languages stays day in and day out.

01:25 AM Mar 27 2014 |

S&W

S&W

China

I’m agree with you Ola33.I totally suspect that point of crazy.She treated the cat as a company not only a pet.I’d never tried of listening people talk this pet ,no matter what kind of pet.

12:42 AM Mar 27 2014 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

I don’t think the lady who talks most of the times about her cat is crazy or lonely. Sorry, English baby. That means she doesn’t have children, and she’d love to have one, but for some reason, she can’t but she might have lots of friends, a family, relatives and far from being lonely. I’d never point out that to a person, just keep the converstation about cats going. It’s a lovely topic even if goes day in and day out.     

12:24 AM Mar 27 2014 |

Likes (21):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast