Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

jump on the bandwagon

jump on the bandwagon

Date: Jan 31 2019

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I don’t think we’re anything like the E Street Band…There [were] a lot of guys jumping on that bandwagon. I didn’t do that.”

Singer Jon Bon Jovi, talking about his musical roots

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

do the same thing as everyone else; follow what most people do

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Before cars became popular and widely used, wagons were a common way to transport people and animals. People moved across countries in wagons pulled by horses, and they transported their belongings the same way.

Performers had to travel by wagon, too. One of the more popular forms of entertainment, the circus, had special wagons for the animals and other wagons for the people. There was room for the lions, room for the clowns, and room for the circus band. Circuses were so fun, in fact, that many people dreamed of running away and joining the circus. They wanted to jump on the bandwagon.

Today, when people talk about jumping on the bandwagon, they’re likely not talking about becoming part of the circus. Maybe they want to jump on the bandwagon and lose weight with the new diet. Or they want to jump on the bandwagon of another way to get rich quick. Whatever the bandwagon is, people jump on it because they want to be part of it.

When Jon Bon Jovi first started playing music professionally, he said he didn’t want to jump on the bandwagon of other groups that were popular. He wanted to have his own sound and be his own person.

When have you jumped on a bandwagon? How important are popular trends?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Many people say Beautiful Mind is the best movie this year. I liked it, but I’m not going to jump on the bandwagon. I thought Lord of the Rings was much better.”

“I’m giving up bread. I’ve decided to jump on the bandwagon for low-carb diets.”

“If this politician is going to win the election, he’ll need a lot more people to jump on the bandwagon and vote for him!”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Mackolino join to something because it is fashionable
by MackolinoSuper Member!
To join a trend.
by shanamusicSuper Member!
Manu4 To follow a fashion
by Manu4
yeahlivia to support something popular
by yeahlivia
Hazelgirl to start doing or saying something that a lot of people are already doing or saying.
by Hazelgirl
inventive2 join a popular activity/campaign
by inventive2

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

digidigdigidig

Antarctica

Tradition and customs of community living place, it urge us trend to make something out of our control. it may be kinds  of  marriage, having child, educational status, reaching promotion, having new devices etc…   human being is under reciprocal influence. however we try to keep away general trend, no way to survive their any action i think. Thus, everyone is jumping on bandwagon what bandwagon is In the end.

07:25 AM Jan 31 2019 |

1 person likes this

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

good slang. thanks !

10:14 PM Jun 28 2014 |

1 person likes this

mahbubeh92

mahbubeh92

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i dont like bandwagon things which people jump on them because they become repetative and i dont want be a part of which the other people are part of.

i like to choose the unique things .different mind and idea.or any thing.

when it happens to watch a specific genre of movie or different opinion about a famous person or marriage i dont jump on the bandwagon which other girls  do.

06:38 PM Jun 28 2014 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

It depends, when you don’t jump on the bandwagon, your closed friend may say you are weired…

No matter what, we should follow our hearts… :))

06:57 AM Jun 28 2014 |

2 people like this

Yutiko

Yutiko

Ukraine

I think,to jumping on the bandwagon is not bad in any way.As for me, I like to be in trends.For example,wear fashionable clothes.But if I understand it does not suit me,I won`t wear it.We should choose to jump on the bandwagon or not depending on situations

06:59 PM Jun 26 2014 |

3 people like this

samine_sh

samine_sh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I NEVER JUMP ON THE BAND WAGON

i like to follow my own way and desire

06:25 PM Jun 26 2014 |

2 people like this

S&W

S&W

China

Jumping on the bandwagon isn’t always a good way to follow.Like Jon Bon Jovi,Find who you are is important.

I like that black dog in that red basket.So cute ,really wanna kiss her

03:05 PM Jun 26 2014 |

Likes (24):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: