Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

New York City
New York City

Learn English about New York City ESL lesson

Date: May 28 2019

Themes: Travel

Grammar: Contractions and Abbreviations

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When people think of the United States, New York City is one of the iconic places that comes to mind. Since NYC is often shown in movies and TV shows about America, many people have come to learn a lot about the city.

New York City is also known as the city that never sleeps because there are so many things to do. No matter what your interests are, you’ll be sure to find something that you would like to see or do. It’s a place that everyone should try to visit at least once in their lives.

Jessica tells Gary that she hasn’t been to NYC before, but would love to go. Find out more in this English lesson about “The Big Apple.”

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Gary

Gary

Jessica

Jessica

Gary:  Jessica, have you ever been to New York City?

Jessica:  I’m a little embarrassed to say so, but I have not.

Gary:  There is so much to do there. You have to go!

Jessica:  I know. I’ve heard it’s the city that never sleeps. And there’s such a plethora of things to do. The arts and all of the culture.

Gary:  You will get a lot out of it when you go there.

Jessica:  Oh, I’m sure.

Gary:  No doubt. It has so much theatre, so much music. The food, the people, the atmosphere.

Jessica:  That sounds amazing. I am desperate to have the experience. And I’ve heard that it has a great reputation. I’m a little intimidated. It’s so busy and there are so many people. I don’t know how I’d find my way around.

Gary:  The people in New York, while they’re busy and hustle bustle, they will help. So just ask.

Jessica:  Alright. I will have to book a ticket to get out there some time soon.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Contractions and Abbreviations" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jessica would love to visit New York City because she has heard that it’s amazing. But she is a little intimidated by the city because it always looks so busy. Gary tells her not to worry about it because New Yorkers are friendly. Jessica is so excited about visiting NYC that she’s ready to book a ticket.

Gary tells Jessica about all of the things there are to do in New York City. He says that there is a lot of great entertainment like music, and the atmosphere and food are also interesting. Maybe he can convince Jessica to take him with her when she goes.

Have you ever been to New York City? What is something you would like to see in NYC?

Comments

wzf282q

wzf282q

China

爱一个人你就送他去纽约,因为那里是天堂:恨一个人你就送他去纽约,因为那是是地狱….Love a person,u can sent her to New York:If u hate a person,then sent her to New York.  actuatlly i hope i can make a friend there。

01:03 PM May 17 2015 |

javier armando

Peru

NYC is nothing but a man-developed trap where greeny and money reigns. Its the symbol itself of money, where men and women are nothing but money slaves. It may be great to behold its neon-lighjt advertisemnts but after a while you will feel so gloomy that there is not warm vibe of human spirit like a small town. So you wont find anything new there.

04:41 AM May 16 2015 |

Thyphuong

Thyphuong

Viet Nam

I hope I can go to go to New York  sometime if I can ; and I think that is a dream place not only for me ..

10:26 PM May 13 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

S&W,hello , if you ever go to New York , and i really hope so, be conscious that is an expensive city , so start saving up enough money  for this trip.

12:43 AM May 12 2015 |

S&W

S&W

China

I had an American dream since i was young and NYC was a big part of that dream.If i can get there i would pinched myself and that hurt told me everything was true.

11:31 PM May 11 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

The city that never sleeps, The Big Apple, concrete jungle, Once upon a time in America… that’s how New York pictured in my mind when we were there last year. It’s definitely has got its charm of business, style, crazy hectic lifestyle where looks like you’ll never have time to meditate, to contemplate … You can do it early in the morning, at  6 or 7 a.m. but even at that time you’ll see hustle and bustle while stockbrokers hurrying up to work. While walking on the 5th Avenue, you don’t have to walk, the crowd will gladly carry you in their hands. And God forbid, you get to drive there .  It’s a little bit nerve wracking:)  And I remember the chocolote dip cone (icecream) is the best in New York McDonalds. The layer of chocolate is so thick, that it cracks and crunches under your teeth, giving you a tasty chill out in a hot day while you’re observing the rich skyscrapers all around you and wondering how much might the appartment cost in there.:) 

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of there’s nothing you can’t do. That’s part of Alicia Keys’ song Empire State of Mind.

No, I’ve never been there, but it’s of course on the cities-I-must-visit list.

08:42 PM May 11 2015 |

waterbender

Belarus

Visited NYC this summer. Indeed, NY is amazing, exciting, breathtaking… etc city. Moreover, I live in a small European country, so i got a lot of imressions when i was in NY. I agree, it’s hustle and bustle city, many busy people, many cars, everyone is hurrying, especially you can feel this unbelievable athmosphere in Manhattan.

Buuut, i should say smth about their huge skyscrapers: of course, looks impressing, but at he same time i felt so miserable, a small girl in a world of suffocating buildings, i didn’t like this feeling.

07:54 PM May 11 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

Dear Shoba,  Talking about home, i remember  one time when   with  my cousin  and her kids we have been  driving by car from Los Angeles to San Francisco  and back  home ,and at the end if our  visit one of the kids that was dead tired of the long trip, exclaimed “home sweet home ” There is some truth to it , getting back home  it is a pleasure for me.

07:06 PM May 11 2015 |

maryam45didari

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I have been in us for 5 years.but I dont have any trip.

I hope one day to go there with my children.

06:41 PM May 11 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

In my youth i had a strong desire to visit the Big Apple , it was so frustrating   that  i could only dreamt of  visiting this city . I didn`t have money and even  if  the money was there  to get a Visa  was an uncertainty. Years went by, I was having a recurrent dream that  i was in Manhattan , my heart  beating hard with happiness that finally could get to know  NYC , only to wake up  and  know that  it was only a dream . I knew that to put and end to this i needed to book  a ticket , and i did it . I have been twice  in New York and  i have had  the times of my life .Shortly after my last visit  to the Twin  Towers  they were  attacked  and destroyed.   

mandana.z

mandana.z

Yeah, new york is a nice city to visit, i hope to go there once.
Here is a piece of my favorite poet, SOHRAB SEPEHRI,
Wherever i am, let me be
The heaven is mine.
Window, mind, air, love and earth are mine.
What matter
If the fungi of nostalgia
Sometimes bloom?

05:02 PM May 11 2015 |

ekaterinabondar

Ukraine

I would love to visit this nice city. It`s city of my dreams!

04:24 PM May 11 2015 |

1 person likes this

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

I have heard that New York City is a melting pot of different cultures. I would love to visit this magnificent city that never sleeps some day and get lost in its magic.

Then I want to come back home and sleep in my own bed. East or west, home is best.

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

New york city is cool. it big there and you can call textes and there is light.

12:56 PM May 11 2015 |

2 people like this

Emma888

Syrian Arab Republic

I hope one day live in NY ! it’s city of dreams

12:32 PM May 11 2015 |

2 people like this

Naveen Singh Shahi

India

I haven’t seen The New Yourk City (NYC) “the city that never sleeps”  It’s my dream to vitst the other side of coin. 

sara1370

sara1370

i have an opinion  like mojtaba,, maybe NYC is one of city that remains in the mind, but, there are many similar city too, like Amsterdam, Rome, Bruges, Budapest, Florence, Paris

08:00 AM May 11 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

certainly ı would want to see N.Y.city , it can be nice ,different and interesting ..after walking in its streets for hours, to sit near Statue of Liberty and drink coffee :) 

certainly ı cant wait ,N.Y. city has beautiful and historical places as Roma,Paris,Moskow,Beijing,S.Petersburg ,Prag,Budapest,Cairo and of course Istanbul :)

Anyway, Each city has their own beautiful sides ,like people.

07:22 AM May 11 2015 |

mojtaba

mojtaba

mabye NYC is one of the big metropolitan city but surly there are many other city that are most interesting from NYc like tehran or bejing

05:48 AM May 11 2015 |

Likes (19):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast