Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Tanning
Tanning

Learn English meaning of tanning

Date: Jul 27 2015

Themes: Health, Time

Grammar: Verbs with "-ing"

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Who doesn’t love to walk on the beach? There’s the sand between your toes, the sound of the ocean, the smell of the sea air. But there’s also the sun on your skin, which can be risky if you aren’t wearing any sunscreen.

While it’s true that too much tanning can be bad for you, many people choose to be in the sun. They believe that they look healthier when their skin isn’t pasty. And of course, there are people who must work outside, and athletes who train outdoors as well. The question is, how much sun is too much sun?

Kellie likes tanning, but Marni isn’t so sure. Learn their opinions in today’s English lesson about spending time in the sun.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kellie

Kellie

Marni

Marni

Kellie:  Hey, Marni. Do you want to go tanning?

Marni:  Tanning in a tanning bed?

Kellie:  Yes. Mm-hm.

Marni:  I just am not into that, I have to say. I know I’m pasty white and all, but I just think it’s too risky. I think about melanoma, and I just don’t think I’d want to do that.

Kellie:  Well, I understand. It’s a trade-off, but you just look and feel really nice afterward.

Marni:  Do you think it contributes to your quality of life, being tan?

Kellie:  I don’t know. Maybe. I just like the way I look afterward. And I get a really nice, even tan, so…

Marni:  Well, I don’t think I can do it. I don’t think I can pay to tan. I just have to embrace my winter whiteness.

Kellie:  Alright. Well, that’s cool.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Verbs with "-ing"" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Kellie wants Marni to join her for tanning, but Marni isn’t exactly interested. She believes that tanning is dangerous, and she doesn’t want to get melanoma. It’s OK with Marni that her skin is white and doesn’t look like she’s ever in the sun. She prefers to be pasty than to become sick.

But Kellie explains that she likes the way she looks after lying in a tanning bed. To her, the dangers of tanning are a trade-off for feeling good about herself. Marni disagrees with Kellie’s opinion, but they still respect each other.

How do you feel about tanning?

Comments

schrodinger61

Turkey

I live in cape town. I have came here about one week ago.Before I came here I think cape town has hot weather so I bought sunscreen but the weather is cold . the summer will come after about one month than I will use sunscreen for not tanning 

03:34 PM Jul 31 2015 |

Lewej_06

Lewej_06

Philippines

I live in a tropical country with many stunning beaches. Each year there are thousands of foreigners who travel in my country. The main purpose is for tanning. In my case, I don’t need tanning anymore because I’m already tan. On the other hand, I’d love to become whiter.

12:20 PM Jul 30 2015 |

1 person likes this

majiaoqin

majiaoqin

China

I love walk on the beach,but I only have once experience. I think I will love tanning. I’ll try some other days.

11:57 PM Jul 27 2015 |

1 person likes this

julito1

julito1

Argentina

For what i know about tanning beds is that  this kind of exposure is risky . Why in the name of having a  sun-tanned  figure to invite a melanoma , a possible burn  and premature aging. Marni , i am glad that you have declined this invitation . For a gorgeous sunless tan it is recommended to eat healthy skin foods that protect against some kinds of cancer.  

08:31 PM Jul 27 2015 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Well, like, Djana, I suffer from the same problem. My skin is so sensitive towards sun rays. I find my skin turns reddish after the least while of exposure to sun, and a short while afterwards it turns darker (About my face and my hands speaking).

Here we don’t have the culture of tanning, and if we have it, I’d never try it. It’s not a trade-off for me since I don’t see it as healthy and contributes to a better look as it’s usually seen. And also tanning bed seems a device based on some kind of rays, and such things creep me out, ‘cause cancer is somewhere involved with them. I would never accept to get melanoma as a pay-off for a trade-ff..

06:20 PM Jul 27 2015 |

Djana

Djana

Algeria

Tanning,i’ve never tried to do that,but,Every time i get out,especially in school days,my face turns all brown,naturally :p ,and it disturbs me,cause,it’ makes a big difference,between all my body,the color of my face isn’t like my hand’s or other place in skin…too much sun “Tanning” it choud be too risky.

05:50 PM Jul 27 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

it was very funny for us but painful for him..many years ago,He went to swimming to near stream ..after swimming ,he aslept under sun without any protection ( in that time there was no protective cream,oil,lotion ).then, his white skin had returned to a red tomato ..his all back and shoulders were red ..and it was giving him more pain ..then my mother put yogurt to his red back for decreasing pain..

Unhealty tanning can affect your health negatively..

NavidArash

NavidArash

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

In the summertime I use to go lying on the roof of my apartment after taking a cold shower (I live in the penthouse level, so the roof is just a short walk in the park) I find solace in sunbathing there, I find it a perfect way to unwind. 

These days it sounds that nobody is happy and satisfied with themselves and it doesn’t matter if you are short or tall, fat or thin, pale or tanned … Most people still think that they aren’t good enough and seeking for a way to look like better. And cosmetics companies really took advantage of this and everyday we see advertisements that go like this :

“””Are you going bald, and suffering from low self-esteem? don’t worry anymore because you are in good hands we got a shampoo that could do magic on your hair and restore your self-esteem completely”””.

Some companies seem to think we’re a bit wet behind the ears, I really didn’t know that a shampoo could do the trick about self-esteem!!!”

10:10 AM Jul 27 2015 |

mojtaba

mojtaba

frome where almost ever day i m in the sun i dont need tanning ,unlike i love a cloudy air and mabye my skin can rest a little

;

;

hamid123

hamid123

Algeria

My friends… I agréé with you  there is a lot of risky when we stay in  front of sun … But somme times there are many things never happen again or have a spécial time like swimming un summer … So i  am interrested in playing.  swimming   and making  a lot of fun with. My friends …and that all what i need.

06:14 AM Jul 27 2015 |

s11211s

s11211s

Nowadays some people like tanning, in my opinion it is a trend, like the other harmful things people do, including smoking or wearing some clothes that seems ridiculous!

It is interesting to me doing or eating or drinking something we know is harmful or dangerous for our health. Business inspire people with advertising to do, to buy whatever they want to sale, and It is astounding that people doing them!

06:07 AM Jul 27 2015 |

S&W

S&W

China

Here in china is summer and my house is very near to the beach.Once I am free,I will go to the beach and swim in the sea.I become tanned every summer even though I wear a lot sunscream.I take an effort to protect myself from getting tan,but sea has huge attraction to me barbecue,fireworks,swimming,bicycling,beach volleyball…I looks healthy in summer.

nadaabdulraheem

Saudi Arabia

Everything in Earth has been created for a particular reason. And of course each creator has a lot of benefits if we use it in a moderate quantities. Sun is the major source for our healthy life. People must be exposed to the sun. On the other hand, people should recognize when and how much they should get from the sun light. As the sun provide us with the basic vitamins and calcium it also can be the main reason for the skin diseases if we neglect using the ways of protection of sun rays.

Likes (12):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast