Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

baggage

baggage

Date: Dec 10 2015

Themes: Health

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“It’s hard to be clear about who you are when you are carrying around a bunch of baggage from the past. I’ve learned to let go and move more quickly into the next place.”

Actress Angelina Jolie, talking about letting go of the past (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

ideas and memories from the past that are difficult to forget and make life harder

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

We have all experienced bay days. Sometimes the memory of those hard times comes back to us, and interrupts our daily lives. We can’t forget the sadness or anger we felt, and this type of emotional baggage can be exhausting.

Baggage is a slang term that means memories from the past that you can’t forget. Most of the time, this kind of emotional baggage can make you feel tired, sad, and bring up difficult issues.

Angelina Jolie thinks it is important to let go of those bad memories, so you can be yourself and be happy! She thinks it is more important to focus on the positive things in her life, so she can have a happy future. She doesn’t carry around her emotional baggage, because she wants to be a good actress and a healthy mother.

Do you have any baggage from when you were a child? Are you able to let go of emotional baggage?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“He came back from the war with a lot of baggage. He saw a lot of terrible stuff there.”

“She still has a lot of baggage from her last relationship. It might not be a good idea to date her yet.”

“Even though I’m in my 30s, I’m still working through a lot of childhood baggage from my troubled youth.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

burdens of he past, mistakes one's done
by MehmetKaragul

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Redji

Redji

Russian Federation

Well…everyone, I think, have some “baggage” from the past and each one decides for himself if he wants to carry it through the life or not.

For some people what happened in past can be just a lesson, experience, so they can learn how to act not to repeat those mistakes in future.

Also, I want to admit that we have not only sad baggage but also happy memories in the past, so it’s better to keep them in mind istead of anger and sadness))

04:47 AM Dec 16 2015 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

I wish I had a memory eraser. The baggage that weighs you down, just to erase for good since it’s pops up from time to time making you less confident, shaping you as a different person. I wish I were like a child who don’t remember bad things or just don’t see them and just get excited without scepticism at this wonderful wonderful life.

11:39 AM Dec 11 2015 |

Wuthering

United States

Baggage is a lunggage which can contain many things …lol one of them could be emotional museum …. lol …..oh, well, baggage is a footprint in your life that is why old man said ” the greatest of debt of humans is sentiment ” . 

04:23 PM Dec 10 2015 |

1 person likes this

Mahtab.bp

Mahtab.bp

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Nope!

I dont have any baggage from when I was a child.

I had a great and happy childhood. All my beloved ones were around me!😌

But later when I got older more problems and sad events happend. 

I have some emotional baggages in my life and  its not easy to let go of them!

Im carrying around my baggage all the time but I pretend that Im fine!

Maybe Im waiting for a right station (or situation😏) to leave them there and run to my happy future!

Big dream😀!

11:28 AM Dec 10 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

Everyone has alot of baggages from their past …from their childhood..

and these baggages include happiness and sadness,joy and pain,smiles and tears..

and many people keep these baggages under the roof or in the deepest of mind..closed and locked..

less people carry them with theirselves..:)

10:53 AM Dec 10 2015 |

sunny_ling88

China

Sometimes when i listened emotional musics i felt sad that letted me remmeber baggage of past but i should move to the next step forget all of unhappy things, i hope happyness always around me.

01:59 AM Dec 10 2015 |

ynbrian86

China

It think that we all have emotional baggages for a specific time ,whick make them look normal ,the questions is how we can release these baggages

01:52 AM Dec 10 2015 |

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

I fell like this girl

01:19 AM Dec 10 2015 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace