Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

sucks

sucks

Date: Jul 21 2016

Themes: Celebrity, Music, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

I’ve had a lot of voices tell me what I should be making. Personally, I would much rather live and die by my own hand. If my stuff sucks, then at least I made it suck. I didn’t allow some [other] person… to make it suck for me.

—Singer Zendaya, speaking about writing her own music (allure.com)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

bad; no good; a drag

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Think about your least favorite thing. We all have something we strongly dislike, whether it’s a movie, a book, a style of music, or even a food. Why do you dislike this thing so much? Is it offensive to you? Does it make you feel sick or uncomfortable? Or do you just think it’s stupid and bad? One thing is for sure… if you were to describe this thing, you would probably say, “It sucks!”

If something sucks, it is not good. We say that something sucks if we dislike it or find it annoying or bad. If you hate eating cheese, you might think that pizza sucks. If it is very, very cold outside, you might say that the weather sucks. If there is a certain musical artist you do not like, you might think that they suck. We can also say that someone sucks at doing something. For example, if you can’t draw at all, you could say that you suck at art. It’s good to be careful when you use this word. Other people might not agree with you. We all have different taste, after all. Something you think sucks might be someone else’s favorite thing!

Zendaya is just starting her music career. She is not sure yet if her music will be good, but she wants to be the one to write it. She does not want anyone else to make decisions for her.

What do you think sucks?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“This beach sucks. There isn’t any sand and the water is so dirty!”

“I don’t want to see that movie. My friend said it sucks.”

“Don’t ask me to play soccer with you. I suck at running!”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

a2020 to annoys.
by a2020
Olivine not worth it, useless, not interesting
by Olivine

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

TSETSEG

Mongolia

Smoke is suck it has bad smell.

07:01 PM Jul 25 2016 |

Wielomian

Wielomian

Poland

Hot tomato sucks. I suck at swiming.

08:37 PM Jul 23 2016 |

Wielomian

Wielomian

Poland

Hot tomato sucks. I suck at swiming.

08:37 PM Jul 23 2016 |

saadabdalla

Saudi Arabia

شركة تنظيف بالرياض شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض شركة جلي بلاط بالرياض شركة تنظيف كنب بالرياض شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض شركة تسليك مجاري بالرياض شركة شفط بيارات بالرياض شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض شركة نظافة بالرياض شركة نظافة شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض شركة مكافحة الصراصير بالرياض شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض شركة نقل عفش بالرياض شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض شركة شراء اثاث مستعمل شركة عزل بالرياض شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض شركة كشف تسربات بالرياض شركة دهانات بالرياض شركة ترميمات بالرياض

05:59 PM Jul 22 2016 |

valdenizio

valdenizio

Brazil

your voice sucks!

02:59 PM Jul 21 2016 |

Likes (9):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace