Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

first-world problem

first-world problem

Date: Sep 15 2016

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture, Travel

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

My jet lag is getting a bit ridiculous. But, you know, it’s first-world problems. It’s a wonderful problem, “Oh I have to travel around the world; how awful.”

—Actress Margot Robbie, speaking about having to travel for film roles. (instyle.co.uk)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

small problem or annoyance that is not that big compared to what other people in the world may be experiencing

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Do you hate it when someone spells your name incorrectly on a coffee cup? Do you feel like crying when you get the wrong dish at a restaurant? Do you fly into a rage when your phone can’t connect to a wireless network? Little frustrations like this can ruin your day, it’s true! But when you look at them from a different perspective, they seem like first-world problems.

A first-world problem is a small, irritating problem that people in wealthy or developed countries may encounter. First-world problems usually don’t ruin your life or take away any of your basic needs. In fact, people who are poor or hungry would probably much rather deal with a first-world problem. You are probably living a pretty good life if the only thing you have to worry about is not always being able to find free Wi-Fi! Actress Margot Robbie jokes that her jet lag is a first-world problem. After all, traveling the world to film movies is a problem a lot of us would love to have!

Do you experience a lot of first-world problems?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I know it’s such a first-world problem, but I hate it when I can’t find a parking spot.”

“My phone screen is cracked, so it’s hard to see the apps! I know, first-world problems.”

“My brother always complains that the rent is too high, but I think it’s a first-world problem. I mean, he has a beautiful studio apartment in New York!”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

In my opinion, people deem any issues as first-world problems because of lack of patience. When something unpleasant happens people get angry and express negative frastrative emotions. By the way, during my travel to Dubai I had not faced jet lag.

12:04 PM Feb 14 2017 |

MissC

Germany

Interesting lesson, i think there is alot of first world problems today.

04:49 PM Sep 16 2016 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast