Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What if we talk about the real BASIC English Lesson here?

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

I think this is really why this site was built …and also why we are all here… except of course for those who only want fun and doesn't care about improving their english skill.

What if we talk about the real BASIC english lesson here? What are NOUNS? VERBS? ADVERBS? ADJECTIVES? CONJUNCTIONS? PRONOUNS? types of sentences?parts of speech? figure of speech? the hyperbole? simile?irony?idioms? passive or active sentence? subject or predicate? the tenses? singular? plural? Agreements? etc, etc…

Why not begin from the basics?

I suppose a simple explanation of at least one of these topics would be of big help to our fellow learners here…

05:47 AM Aug 11 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

MODALS or auxiliary verbs are used with main verbs to give additional meaning to main verbs

Common Modals and its meanings

CAN – possibility       

COULD – possibilty, ability in the past

MAY – probability, permission

MIGHT – probability

MUST – necessity, logical conclusion

SHALL – future with emphasis

SHOULD – advice, obligation, prediction

WILL – future

WOULD – condition                                                                           

06:10 AM Aug 11 2006 |

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

PREPOSITIONS: In, On, At

In – is used before very large places such as COUNTRY, STATE, PROVINCE, COUNTY, CITY.

It is also used before very small places such as in a corner (of a room), in a room, in a building, in a park, in a car, in a boat

It is also used before large units of time such as YEAR & MONTH

On - is used before middle-sized places such as STREET, STREET CORNER, COAST, RIVER, A SHIP, a TRAIN,  a PLANE

It is also used before middle-sized units of time such as DAY or DATE

At - is used before numbers in addresses

It is also used before numbers in clock time

06:39 AM Aug 11 2006 |

mehmetzengin

Turkey

COMMON MISTAKES AND CONFUSING IN ENGLISH

1) Accept is a verb, which means to agree to take something .

For example: "I always accept good advice."

Except is a preposition or conjunction, which means not including.

For example: "I teach every day except Sunday(s)."

2) Advice is a noun, which means an opinion that someone offers you about what you should do or how you should act in a particular situation.

For example: "I need someone to give me some advice."

Advise is a verb, which means to give information and suggest types of action.

For example: "I advise everybody to be nice to their teacher."

!Often in English the noun form ends in …ice and the verb form ends in …ise.

3)  Affect and effect are two words that are commonly confused.

affect is usually a verb (action) – effect is usually a noun (thing)

Hint: If it's something you're going to do, use "affect." If it's something you've already done, use "effect."

To affect something or someone.

Meaning: to influence, act upon, or change something or someone.

For example: The noise outside affected my performance.

To have an effect on something or someone

Note: effect is followed by the preposition on and preceded by an article (an, the)

Meaning: to have an impact on something or someone.

For example: His smile had a strange effect on me.

!Effect can also mean "the end result".

For example: The drug has many adverse side effects.

4) A lot can be used to modify a noun, meaning a large amount or number of people or things.

For example:

"I need a lot of time to develop this web site."

It can also be used as an adverb, meaning very much or very often.

For example:

"I look a lot like my sister."

It has become a common term in speech; and is increasingly used in writing.

Alot does not exist! There is no such word in the English language. If you write it this way – imagine me shouting at you – "No Such Word!"

Allot is a verb, which means to give (especially a share of something) for a particular purpose:-

For example: "We were allotted a desk each."

09:10 AM Aug 11 2006 |

zeus2006

zeus2006Super Member!

Turkey

Hi Rascalkid and Mehmet,

I can understand you but  if you aren't a teacher I guess this may be very dangerous for everybody,I think you will be able to ubderstand me.

Take care.Bye :)

05:22 PM Aug 12 2006 |

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

yeah i can understand you too zeus but i'm just copying it from the reliable book or reliable english site… its also up to the readers to check it to any resources that they can have…. if you really want to learn, you have all the resources…. there's nobody who can endanger anybody who is very eager to learn the right things….

Reading lessons and posting it here will be of help not only to me but also to others…. that is only what i want… to be of help to others and at the same time help myself

But it's ok for me too if you consider it to endanger other knowledge… then i must stop this now…

Thanks anyway for your opinion.

05:28 AM Aug 13 2006 |

Felice

Felice

Philippines

To Mehmet and Rascalkid: Yours were nice try to share with us what you've learned about english grammar – usage and examples. 

Please continue to write and share with us about what you've learned/  That's what we purpose in joining the englishbaby.  For those that english as second language, we can learn from one another by sharing what we already learned and still learning. 

I expect more lessons like that here in Forum.  I hope others will take note of what you two – Rascalkid and Mehmet, will write here for us to learn.  And, please, share with us also the good sites you've visited and think valuable for us to visit, too.

Thank you very much, Mehmet and Rascalkid.

04:25 PM Aug 13 2006 |

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

Thank you very much for your broad understanding Felice. I must tell you that i was almost dicouraged to write and share the things that i've learned because of what zeus said, but with your message, i'm encouraged again…and maybe Mehmet too will continue to share what he has learned.

Our objectives is very simple: To share what we have learned and that's it. And I think there's no danger for it. I hope other learners will also be generous to share what they have just learned and post it here. It's a two-way purpose, we learn & we help.

If somebody learned  what is VERB, then let him/her type this...."Today i've learned that verbs are action words…" simply like that. Then the person who typed it have her/him review for himself and at the same time can really remember what he just learned because he tried to post it here so that somebody would learn from it. It's an engram type of learning which means repetition of the lesson you want to learn using either this kinds of learning methods:reading, writing, reading again or saying/sharing…and finally it will be recorded to your mind.

Thanks again Felice, i hope you will also post some of your many english knowledge here so that we can also learn from you…especially the common mistakes we commit with this language

02:31 AM Aug 14 2006 |

mehmetzengin

Turkey

Hello everybody. thank you for your comment. me and Rascalkid want to share lessons which was learned or from websides, books, etc. because we are here for developing our english. we can make mistakes i know. u can correct me and Rascal. please all of u send new lessons to here. have a nice day to everybody.

06:00 AM Aug 14 2006 |

mehmetzengin

Turkey

COMMON MISTAKES AND CONFUSING IN ENGLISH (part 2) 

5) All ready means "completely ready".For example: "Are you all ready for the test?" Alreadyis an adverb that means before the present time or earlier than the time expected.For example: "I asked him to come to the cinema but he'd already seen the film."
Or

"Are you buying Christmas cards already? It's only September!"

6) All together (adv) means "together in a single group."For example: The waiter asked if we were all together. Altogether (adv) means "completely" or "in total ". For example: She wrote less and less often, and eventually she stopped altogether.

!To be in the altogether is an old-fashioned term for being naked!

7) Apart (adv) separated by distance or time. For example: I always feel so lonely when we're apart. A part (noun) a piece of something that forms the whole of something. For example: They made me feel like I was a part of the family.

8) been is the past participle of be gone is the past participle of go Been is used to describe completed visits. So if you have been to England twice, you have travelled there and back twice. If you have gone to England, you have not yet returned. ! Now you've been and gone and done it!

06:01 AM Aug 14 2006 |

Felice

Felice

Philippines

To Rascalkid:  correction; second paragraph, second sentence:  You wrote: I think there's no danger for it.  Instead, write like this:  I think there's no danger in doing so. 

To Mehmet:  Surely, you got a good site where you learned those mistakes and confusing words.  Please continue to do so.  You're doing a great job for others to learn.  I just hope other will really take note of what you are writing or sharing here.  In fact, I will copy your portion here and give it to the pupils who regularly asking me to help them with their homeworks.

Please Mehmet, don't disappear from this Forum, okay?  You've got very valuable english lessons to share here.  I'll look forward to reading and learning more from you. 

12:36 PM Aug 14 2006 |