Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What kind of a parent are you? Do you love your children more than yourself?

rocky219

rocky219

Canada

Hi everyone. I am a mother of three kids (all girls) aged 21, 17 and 14.  I started this topic because I wonder how other parents rear their children. You see, being a parent is not easy and I want to pick up some tips from other parents on how they deal with their children. I love my children so much and I will do the best I can to show how much I love them. As a responsible parent, I have been teaching them good values, however, there are times when I blame myself whenever they don't behave well.

Please share your thoughts and comments. Thanks 

12:45 AM Sep 06 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

Be a nice spouse, consider every day to be a task to show how i love her. Love and show concern for my spouse' family, especially her parents as well as her brother/ sister and the rest of her relatives. Love all that she loves. Don't pretend but really love them. Respect and show love to my own family especially my parents who taught me the many lessons of life. Love and respect too my sisters (i have no brothers). Try to be always good to other people or people around me (my work, school, neighborhood, church, etc.) respect and try to be always good to them whoever they are. Have the right attitude towards the many stages and challenges of life. Always ask for guidance if things seems to be vague in my own view. Be humble. Don't hesitate to accept mistakes and be sorry for those mistakes. Try to be helpful and kind to others whenever or wherever opportunity comes. Never never cheat even the least cheat that i could be tempted to do so as this world has full of deceivers and temptations. Have strong Faith to one God. Be truly thankful that we were already saved long time ago. And for this faith, try to do good things to bring back the gratitude from all the blessings of life that He had given us. I'll try not to boast and be overcome by pride when i have done good things. I'll keep in my mind that whatever i have, its not me but He who give me life. Depend on  Him in all my life's endeavors.

These things i keep on my mind and consider these a daily task so that i can be a good and humble example for my kids (if God will allow me to have in the near future).

Thats it. Ok. Have a nice day!

RASCALkid

06:05 AM Sep 06 2006 |

kinski

kinski

Turkey

Hi, rocky!

It is very good topic. I don’t have any child yet, but I want to talk from the child side. I mean – about my parents. They never was like parents to us, they was like a friends. We didn’t feel they bring up us. We just saw their behaviour as example. They never lie – I mean when you do one, but think other. Children very sensitive to insincerity. And they always listen and respect our opinion. Parents just help us, never press. And I’m thanks for that.

One main thing – parents love their children in any case – whether they good or not. Without any conditions. That’s a main difference between the other relationships.  

Take care! Be healthy and happy! Kinski

09:07 AM Sep 06 2006 |

Irida

Irida

Ukraine

Hi Rocky,

your question is very close to me.I have daughters too (22 and 18). I love them as, it seems to me, every mother love their children. But I was always too busy and often was quite strict with them. I think, i did much mistakes though I'm a teather.

Maybe with years I began to understand, that not money or goods, even not education  are the main, what the parents can give to their children. Now I sure that the most important things are respect and understanding.

bye-bye! Irin

05:31 PM Sep 07 2006 |

rocky219

rocky219

Canada

thank you so much for the advice Rascalkid. I will always keep those in mind especially having so much faith in GOD.  I know that GOD is always there to guide and protect me and my kids.

thanks again, more power and God bless! 

12:01 AM Sep 08 2006 |

rocky219

rocky219

Canada

Hi Kinski, thanks for your reply.  I admire your parents for setting a good example to you. I like the way they treat you as their friends. I also do that to my children.  I also treat them as my best friends although there are limits to that especially in times when we share jokes.  Sometimes, i feel that jokes seem to disrespect me as their parent. Well, at any rate, i still try my best to maintain my good relationship with my kids.

Thanks again, take care and regards to your parents. 

12:21 AM Sep 08 2006 |

rocky219

rocky219

Canada

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Irida, I appreciate that. Well, don't blame yourself for being busy always because I am sure you have a justifiable reason for being so. I believe that quality time spent with our children is not measured with the length of time we share to them. As long as we are happy being with them, whether it is for a short period of time, then, that's it.

We cannot avoid commiting mistakes from time to time because even if we are adults, we still have a lot to learn and it is through mistakes that we learn. Hope you agree.

You are right, respect and understanding is important in our relationgship with our children. We cannot compare that with material things. 

My regards. Good luck, God Bless! 

12:38 AM Sep 08 2006 |

kinski

kinski

Turkey

Hi, Rocky!

Interesting thing – but we don’t have limits when we share jokes too!And we like to make a jokes with each other. But we just make light of that. Because we love and respect each other anyway! And thanks for good words for my parents! 

Take care! Keep smile! Kinski   

06:50 AM Sep 08 2006 |