Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Favourite book

isidora

Serbia and Montenegro

Hello everyone!

I love to read, and I was wondering if you could recomend me something good, or just say what is your favourite book or author. And also, I agree with this theory that you can improve learning of a language by reading it. Maybe some of you native english speakers can recomend something to begin with. But just one thing: please don't say Shakespeare! I honestly don't doubt his value, but I don't think he's good for 'begin with'.

I will start by saying that my favourite book is 'Three men in a boat, not to mention the dog' – Jerome K. Jerome. It is funny and if you like British humour, like I do, you will love it.

For the 'begin with' let me recomend you 'Harry Potter'. It's not just children's book, it's more than that if you're begining. It's modern, interesting, holds your atention and an ode to good friendships. And most of all – it's easy to read material! Ok, maybe it's not Shakespeare, but we have to start with something, and you don't start with the hardest things, am I right?

06:48 PM Feb 27 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

xinfang1111

China

just say out what we think in the deep heart ,it is good for everyone here online

06:09 AM Feb 28 2008 |

englishlabor

China

Since I study in University,I like to read some books about business and life.My favourate books are The World Is Flat and What Should We Learn In University.While reading,I am tasting the life and thinking about my future.Books are really wonderful and amaing thing.Some good books are attracted and they can change your whole life. I do like the books which deny your previous ideas because they can make you think much more about yourself than the books which just uphold you.

06:46 AM Feb 28 2008 |

omaraux

omaraux

Italy

I don' t recomend "picture of Dorian Gray"... really wonderful book when I read it in my lenguage but in english for beginner is too difficult! I tryed!

07:48 AM Feb 28 2008 |

Al'ona

Al'ona

Ukraine

I love Gabriel Garcia Markes and his book One hundred years of Solitude.

For me Columbian author is sth very different from what I've read before.

07:56 AM Feb 28 2008 |

isidora

Serbia and Montenegro

Markes is one of my favourite authors too. I read his novel one hundred years of solitude and I think I never read anything that imaginative. I also read his stories and he is very funny too, but in a good way.

Dostoevsky is a bit dark for my taste. I read crime and punishment in my own language, and although it was very exciting – it was also very dark. I wouldn't dare to read it in English!

As for The picture of dorian gray I loved it in my own language, and I must say I understand when you say that it's too dificult in english; I had that with James Joyce and his A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

I must say that Tolerance sounds very interesting. I will try to find it and read it. In English, of course, and I'll let you know how I liked it.

Anyway, I have something else to recomend for all of you: Jean M Auel and her series Earth's children especially the first of that series The Clan of the Cave Bear. It's a bit huge but it's quite interesting. It's about prehistoric people and their ways and customs. I read it in English, so it's not that dificult to read.

Greetings!

12:36 PM Mar 01 2008 |

isidora

Serbia and Montenegro

And I know it's not necesary to comment on all of your ideas, but I have to comment on this one: Pigmalion. I saw the film first, so when I read it I was no, not surprised, but astonished with the ending of the book. All the time I was reading it I could hardly wait for them to end up together, and when they didn't I was devastated! But I have to admit that his explenation on why they didn't end up together was very convincing. And just one more remark: although there are lots of old english words – it isn't very hard to understand and read. You should try it, definitely!

12:55 PM Mar 01 2008 |

kamil0607

kamil0607

Poland

My favourite book is The Master and Margarita

09:38 AM Sep 05 2009 |