Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

China Mad at Bjork for Supporting Tibet

john

johnSuper Member!

United States

Recently Chinese officials got upset with American singer Bjork for expressing her opinions about Tibet being free from China at a concert.  Chinese officials said:

"We will further tighten controls on foreign artists performing in China in order to prevent similar cases from happening in the future," the Ministry of Culture said in a statement, per Reuters. "We shall never tolerate any attempt to separate Tibet from China and will no longer welcome any artists who deliberately do this."

I'm asking my Chinese friends, do you agree with the government that artists who do the same thing should be banned from the country? 

04:09 PM Mar 10 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Yeah but the way you get good at something is by doing it!

By hindering the free flow of information, China may be hurting itself in the long run. Freedom of speech isn't just necessary for political freedoms, it's also necessary for politcial efficiency.

06:34 AM Mar 11 2008 |

aileench

aileench

China

everyone knows that the Olympics will be hold this year in China.As Bjork has performance on the opening ceremony of Olympics in Athens before,  the Chinese Culture Ministry thinks it's better to invite her to come to China to give performances, so it is ….

Tibet affairs are internal affairs of China, it is seems nothing to do with rock.

To most of the western people, they think Tibet is not belong to China. but to Chinese, Tibet is an inseparable part of Chinese territories since ancient times.

Though Bjork has right to create such a song, but we Chinese have right to safeguard our territorial integrity and keep peaceful

07:00 AM Mar 11 2008 |

aileench

aileench

China

Anyway…

you guys go on…

Im not so much interested in political talkings…but it is concerning my country…so I just speak out my views…believe or not…

you guys are right.. people have right to talking….. :))))

10:17 AM Mar 11 2008 |

coco wang

coco wang

China

It is not an effective way to forbid someone to say something,but Bjork did a wrong deed,and also many other people are wrong.

In a sense,they all have no right to say like that about Tibet,because they know nothing about Tibet,thay have never been to Tibet,and even have never talked to a tibetan.They know nothing about the real life of Tibetans.

I live together with a tibetan girl in our dormitory,and thousands of tibetans live in this city,Most of them are  live a happy life here,we are all CHINESE people,no one doubt about this.

yesterday I asked the tibetan girl ,who want to gain independence from our country? She answered ,a dalailama who is living abroad..And I asked why he do that?She answered:'I don't know!' I fact ,most of the tibetans don't know why .she said it sounds crazy and stupid that you guys call me foreigner then.

Here are all I want to say to someone like Bjork,if you know nothing about the truth,plz keep quiet!!! 

01:51 AM Mar 14 2008 |

john

johnSuper Member!

United States

02:21 AM Mar 14 2008 |

nadiaaa

nadiaaa

Pakistan

discussion of ur guys are very informative. before it i don't know much more about tibatian and china's problem.

08:15 AM Mar 14 2008 |

Temp

Canada

You know what's funny, the West never show this to it's people:
http://mike-servethepeople.blogspot.com/2008/03/tibetan-issue-must-be-dealt-with.html

The Monks in Tibets were kings who can sell ppl, own land, and rule them.  Of course they want their power back, which king would not?  

The western news used information from these Tibet Monk's website saying how many people had die in this incident, you think the Chinese gov is lying and these guy's aren't?  They are willing to burn little girls to death, lying to get their land back is nothing.  But the West media always say the Chinese gov. "claim" while these Tibet Monks reported" making it seem more of a fact.

And Tibet had been part of China for hundreds and thousands of years.  They can't be invading what was their right?  China has every right to claim Tibet as theirs.  Just these monks are recreating fake images of what China is doing to Tibet and most Westerns fall for it since monks are mostly peaceful and innocent.

Many educated Westerns, such as the link I posted, research deeper into Tibet issue and realize that it is not as simple as they wanting to be free.  I just do hope that most of the Westerns will actually do some researches in Chinese history before they talk abot boycotting the Olympics (since it makes them look like fools).  And I do hope the West media actually use less propaganda on the people making China look very bad (lack of freedom, etc), when in fact Chinese are doing very good these days.  Half of the people that are in Engineering in my University are Chinese VISA students, showing they have great education, and have freedom to study else where (and my University is top 30 world wide).  None of these great students who will be making trains, airplanes, buidlings, etc hates China, only the West always make China so bad.  They always want China to seperate like Russia, since we are getting a bit too powerful.

And what I hate the most is the Human Right group.  They said they want the list of prisonors due to this events because China has a bad reputation with criminals (torture, etc), but I don't see they said much when US tortured Iraqs.  They are so one sided, and always attacking China, hoping to seperate us or make us look bad.  What rights do ppl have in the West?  The West's media (CNN, BBC, etc) are full of propaganda messages about how bad other countries are and hiding their own mistakes (coughAmericacough).  They down play their mistakes (like the lead paint for toys due to design problems …. speaking of which, where's their QUALITY CONTROL ppl to TEST out the products?) and blame on China first.  They totally downplayed their own fault and tell consumers to be EXTRA careful of CHINESE products.  Or the West's freedom of speech.   There was a reporter who said Bush's actions were wrong, and was fired (I believe by CNN) the next day.  How fair was that?  I can keep going about how Western media always downplay their part and made massive news about China's mistakes.  Sometimes these mistakes are more like cultural differences (like Chinese eat dogs just like west eat cows, pigs, really nothing wrong with it.  There is no scientific proof that dogs are better "friends" with humans than pigs – lots of cases where a pig saved its master.  It is just cultural differences, yet it makes Chinese look bad)

05:44 AM Mar 20 2008 |

louisa_happy

China

Temp!you are really smart!i cannot agree more.

yes,we need rational knowledge not radical speech!

05:58 AM Mar 20 2008 |

Temp

Canada

http://club.news.sohu.com/r-minjian-1674092-0-27-0.html

Send this site to everyone!  This is how the West distort the news!  The pictures they used were from OLD news about OTHER countries's army arresting Tibet ppl.  How reliable is that?  PURE BS.  They cut out pictures to tell lies.

West always say Chinese are brian washed or navie, but really, at least us Chinese knows we can't trust our news, so we read and think, while the Western are totally opposite.  Talk about propaganda!

06:46 PM Mar 23 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

haha yeah but people are always willing to believe when the media says that some OTHER country is bad. people are not as critical of news reports that don't directly affect them.

01:25 AM Mar 24 2008 |