Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Globalization: Good or Bad? +reason please

Grecko

Grecko

Germany

In my opinion it's on the one hand good because people in  developing countries get a job and so on but on the other hand if they work in sweatshops and get exploited ,globalization become unneccessary because the companys should help the inhabitans an ddon't exploit them .Isn't it?

Let's discuss because I think everybody is wearing a habiliment which is not from his  country.

06:11 PM Mar 14 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

If the people in a developing country can earn more money working in a sweatshop than working a field or not working at all, I don't think it's such a bad thing. 

What these countries need is actually MORE sweatshops. More competition for workers will raise wages, conditions and benefits.  

08:12 PM Mar 14 2008 |

Natalie19

Natalie19

Poland

like everything it has pros and cons.. from the first side it's destroying culture and customs of praticular countries, but from the other exploring the world is now much more easier then it was in the past..

08:42 PM Mar 15 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

globalisation…

what is sure is  that lilttle by litlle, countries lose their individuality, culture and customs…

Interesting that you said that. In one of my English classes few weeks ago, we had a debate/discussion about the pending US-Colombia Free Trade Agreement. One of my students made a similar arguement; that the more Colombia opens itself to foreign investment and foreign products, the more it loses it's identity and culture and that people will not think of themselves as Colombian anymore.

I asked the student if he had a cell phone. Yes Nokia (Finnish company, phone made in China or Taiwan probably,

He also owned an ipod (american company, made in china)

His family had an American car, assembled in USA byt from parts all over the world)

They had a Sony Playstation (Japanese company)

Clothing made in Thailand

Other electronics made in China  etc etc.

Did he think of himself as American, Chinese?  No Still Colombian

11:39 PM Mar 15 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Can you give me an example of some traditions that are lost when you have foreign investment in a country?

10:46 AM Mar 16 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Progression: She wasn't speaking of individuality in the sense of an individual person, but as you mentioned, in terms of a group or community.

12:53 PM Mar 16 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I blame America …Specifically hippies.  

02:12 AM Mar 17 2008 |

aileench

aileench

China

The under developed countries can profit from the globlization, because they got the working opportunity for produce low-cost product for the rich countries.

On the other hand, the rich countries also can profit from the globliztion, coz they can import the cheap products from the under developed countries,  and they also got the opportunity for providing mechanical equipment & financial services to the new economis.

10:01 AM Mar 17 2008 |

aileench

aileench

China

further more, we can discuss this topic here also from the globlization.Tongue out

10:03 AM Mar 17 2008 |

dannl

dannl

Ethiopia

it depene on the way it works. but , in my opinion it has

a lot to do for developed countries, it empower them the haves, always favor their own interest they damp their product on the poorer. that prohibit their creativity and paralyze domestic product and their competence in the global market. furthermore, globalization has negative impact by transmitting deviant and counter cultures for instance sex market and drug addiction.it also aggravate brain drain from developing countries and it creates identity cries, international crime. it make the developing countries powerless to control the market, movement of people. especially i hate people who came to excite for sex in the poor countries even gay people and drug addicts are free to move their staff on us. that infect the general population. finally, on our side for the poor it doesn't work, but i know globalization is border less that is difficult to stop its impact. 

10:41 AM Mar 17 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I understand what you are saying, Ankutza. Have any of your traditional Romanian holidays been displaced? Or other traditions?

I'm not sure if all of what you say is loss of identity is due to globalization or much of it is due simply to modernization in general. Traditions do tend to evolve and even die out with time.

To go back to your example of Holidays,  you can look at St Patrick's Day since it was just this week. Originally a religious feast day, it has become less religious and more culturally oriented, and a holiday embraced by Americans. It hasn't meant that America has lost it's cultural heritage, but we've just made this part of it. 

In a similar vein, Americans have incorporated a mostly regional Mexican holiday into their own cultural mix. (Cinco de Mayo)

I don't think that celebrating these holidays has made the US more "Irish" or "Mexican" and less "American" just like I don't think that celebrating halloween and Valentine's day will make your people less Romanian.

I certainly hope not, anyway, because your country is high on my list of potential work places in the future.

02:43 PM Mar 20 2008 |