Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Tell me about UK

etery

etery

Finland

Hi! Do you live in UK? Tell me about this country, please. About people, culture, customs, fashion, weather… About London and London's sights. I'd like to know it because I like this country. I'm going to visit UK some time. It's my dream. It will be wonderful to find friends there.Smile

03:30 PM Apr 05 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

aljensen

aljensen

United States

I lived in England for a month, in Cambridge exactly. I thought the place was full of wankers. I had some English friends explain to me that that is because Cambridge is in fact full of wankers. From a Yankee's perspective, the pros and cons of England / Britain:

Good things:

1.) Pretty much every British person I've met is sociable and friendly, more so than Americans or Canadians. At least, they're very very outgoing and talkative, there not as cliquish or snobby as Americans can be.

2.) A nice accent – North Americans view the British accent as being quaint, sophisticated, and more intelligent than the Yankee one.

3.) Good beer – some of the best ale in the world, bar none.

4.)  History – castles, manors, cathedrals, Shakespeare, all that crap.

5.) Culture – not just Byron and Dickens, but also great music, from the Rolling Stones and David Bowie on down to Jarvis Cocker and Radiohead. Great cinema, "Young British Art",  a thriving literary scene. British people, particularly young people, are much better educated (seemingly) than their American counterparts, due to the national curriculum they have there. 

Bad things:

1.) Expensive like no place else on Earth. Everything costs an arm and a leg.

2.) The people are sarcastic, they have this nasty sense of humor that can get old after awhile.  (Not everyone, but still)

3.)  It seems like rich people there tend to be meaner and more openly disrespectful to the poor than in the States, that was just my impression, though.

4.) Some of the British accents just seem to be unrecognizable, and it seems like there is more of a regional and class-based variance in how people speak there. In the USA, people pretty much talk like in the movies and on TV, the accents are not as pronounced, except for maybe in the South. 

03:34 AM Apr 07 2008 |

etery

etery

Finland

Thank you for your reply! It's very interesting!

06:35 AM Apr 07 2008 |

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

one GBP is almost 2 USD..and that's makes me agreed with aljensen.lol.

I like the sarcastic sense of humor they have though it was shocking at the first time and I was stoned back then.

06:28 PM Apr 07 2008 |

etery

etery

Finland

Hi, MarkChina! I want recommendations for British comedies! I like the sarcastic sense of humour too.

07:50 AM Apr 08 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

British humor is excellent! Many American comedies are based on British ones.

10:41 PM Apr 08 2008 |

etery

etery

Finland

Thank you very much!!!

03:23 AM Apr 09 2008 |

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

ok maybe it's weaker but it still looks stronger than USD to me..

04:24 AM Apr 09 2008 |

etery

etery

Finland

Monty Python is so cool! I like it very much!

08:39 AM Apr 09 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

What about ALAN PARTRIDGE???

08:17 PM Apr 17 2008 |

fanni szabo

Hungary

Hi! I lived in the UK for about 7 months. the only thing I can tell you that England is rainy, windy, foggy and expensive. But people are lovely, cheerful and friendly – but a lot of them is quite overweighted. And about London? Well, I think the small villiages in the country are far more beautiful than the capital city.

p.s.: but I loved it in the way it is, and it's definitely a nice experience to go there!

01:07 PM Apr 20 2008 |