Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Islam's Decline

gkisseberth

Germany

a couple of members have posted about all the christian conversions to islam.

In light of that, I found this interesting 

Islam's Decline

A very interesting article from Pajamas Media about Islam's decline
. Quoting an article by an Islamic scholar:

Islam used to represent … Africa’s main religion and there were 30 African languages that used to be written in Arabic script. The number of Muslims in Africa has diminished to 316 million, half of whom are Arabs in North Africa. So in the section of Africa that we are talking about, the non-Arab section, the number of Muslims does not exceed 150 million people. When we realize that the entire population of Africa is one billion people, we see that the number of Muslims has diminished greatly from what it was in the beginning of the last century.

On the other hand, the number of Catholics has increased from one million in 1902 to 329 million 882 thousand (329,882,000). Let us round off that number to 330 million in the year 2000.

As to how that happened, well there are now 1.5 million churches whose congregations account for 46 million people. In every hour, 667 Muslims convert to Christianity. Everyday, 16,000 Muslims convert to Christianity. Every year, 6 million Muslims convert to Christianity. These numbers are very large indeed.

Pajamas Media goes on to point out that some of the conversion of Muslims to Christianity represents a repudiation of tyrannical state religion in places like Iran and the former Soviet Union:

Although al-Qataani points to Africa, there is another phenomenon based on repulsion from Islamist dictatorship, corruption, and terrorist violence. In Iran as many as 1 million people have surreptitiously converted to Evangelical Christianity in the last five years. Pastor Hormoz Shariat claims to have converted 50,000 of them through his U.S.-based Farsi-language satellite ministry. He contrasts the upswing to the efforts of evangelical missionaries in Iran between 1830 and 1979, whose 149 years of work built a Christian community of only 3,000. One Iranian religious scholar believes youth are abandoning Islam because it is identified with the corrupt Iranian government. Now the Iranian Majlis (parliament) is debating the death penalty for conversion.

In southern Russia the same pattern is emerging. According to Roman Silantyev, executive secretary of the Inter-religious Council in Russia, freed from atheist control, two million Muslims converted to Christianity. Repulsed by bloody terrorist attacks, those living in areas such as Beslan have converted to Christianity in the greatest numbers of all. As many as 100,000 have converted to Christianity in post-Soviet Kyrgyzstan.

After decades of Islamist war, evangelicals report thousands of sub-rosa converts in rural areas of Kashmir. Says one churchgoer: “I am interested in this religion. I hate violence. I hate fundamentalists in Islam. I come here to seek peace.” An Indian newspaper headline reads: “Urban Muslim Youth Out to Junk Faith.”

05:18 PM Apr 11 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

Gkiss..Really about the above number in your post? I’m not sure, except I was surveyor for that numbers..lol. But actually, I don’t think that number! The most important is quality and strong in their faith (positively). Why they convert? They have many reasons, and it’s their right …! Ofcourse, they have known what God said, if then they still convert to others.

05:12 AM Apr 12 2008 |

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

Not for marriage I think. if a person really think a religion and God is a part of her life than she won't put it down so low so that she would converted into another religion.

as far as I know, religion is a "clothes" for the faith and people who are converted are trying to get a fit clothes so that their faith to God would grow.

and yes I do think this article is correct. the fact that rarely Muslims converted to Christians were being exposed is because people think it's their privacy and another thing off course, they were afraid to be hunt down..

not being exposed in the news doesn't mean that there are larger number of christians converted to Muslims.

But, sometimes I wonder why human are so childish by thinking that "oh wow look at this, my religion has a bigger number!" sometimes human worship the religion itself instead of worship the God and that make them forget the essential part of religion: to do good deeds and to grow their faith to God. instead of growing their faith, people with a tendency to worship the religion rather than to worship the God tend to do destructive things. you know, if you really know and if you really understand what God wants from human, you will not kill people and screaming that you do it in the name of God. God doesn't need us to protect Him. if you really believe that He is big than you should never feel insulted by small stuffs dealing with religion issue.

IMHO

06:53 AM Apr 12 2008 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

I stated all these evidence to show only that the title was a bit unfair,,,i don't deny that many muslims converted to other religions especially Christianity,,after all i don't care,,each one will face his destiny.

11:44 AM Apr 12 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

I think the one of the reason that make christianity people convert to islam , is the develop of the  science 

I will add a thread in this forum about the miracle of qura'n which science promote .

please read it , it is realy imazing facts .

09:42 PM Apr 12 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

If Islam wasn't the right and true religion then why u people fight us and fight our religion consistently ?

First, who are "u people"? 

Second. Whoever WE are, I can't just automatically agree that WE are fighting you or your religion consistently.

Lastly, even if that were true, how does it prove that Islam is right and true. The fact that people oppose something does not make it right and true. I oppose the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in public schools. There are lots of people who consistently fight against teaching bad science. That doesn't make it right and true. It might help to gain converts who have some persecution fetish, but it doesn't make the ideas right or true.

11:09 PM Apr 12 2008 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

Among the reasons that many Muslims converted to Christianity is ignorance,Gk gave us Africa as an example and i gave Europe,,,Africa,its people are not well informed,Poor while in Europe they are well informed and rich,,big difference when someone converted to Islam and he is educated and well informed and another one converted to Christianity and he is not,,i've witnessed many cases like this,,the main reason is ignorance and for MONEY.

12:13 PM Apr 13 2008 |

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

Among the reasons that many Muslims converted to Christianity is ignorance

big difference when someone converted to Islam and he is educated and well informed and another one converted to Christianity and he is not,,i've witnessed many cases like this,,the main reason is ignorance and for MONEY.

Zanaz. I have to tell you, that is some stupid example you have there.

I was a  muslim.  I was the woman in veil. I took Law School. I am a legal counselor. I'm going to take a master program AND another bachelor program. I speak 4 languages. I have enough money to travel everywhere and anytime I wanted to. I converted to Christian.

in a rude and snob way, I am  well educated, and I have enough money that I make on my own, I have properties back there in my island. I have everything that people could say "girl you are one lucky bitch".

So, no..all your words were not proven.

I didn't converted because of the Money nor Ignorance. and I believe that MANY converted Christians are walking on my path. they did it for their own faith and have NOTHING to do with some stupid reasons you said. things that YOU have to know is the fact that you tend to look down to people who converted from Islam to another religions and praise people who converted to your religion.

I dont know why but I started to think that most muslims in this forum are so damn arrogant and ignorant including those who were previously converted. Is this what the religion teach you? to be ignorant and arrogant? and you expect us to respect you? please don't make me laugh.

02:01 PM Apr 13 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Wow, that's really interesting.

You are basically saying that poor ignorant people choose Christ, while educated well-off people choose Muhammad.

The article I quoted mentioned Africa yes, but it said nothing about their education or income levels. It also mentioned conversions in Asia, southern Russia and in Iran. Are all those Iranian converts poor and uneducated? 

Other information about Europe also said nothing about people's education or income levels, but it did note that MOST of the increase in Europe's Islamic population is from immigration, not conversion. 

That's not the first time in this thread that someone has implied that people choose Islam because they are finally thinking, as if their choices before were based only on ignorance or superstition. Once they get some education, Islam seems the obvious choice. 

Just seems to me that if it was so obvious, no one would leave it. But millions are.  

03:17 PM Apr 13 2008 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

When we die, we will see that God is really right or lie !! I hope it is not very late for the people who don't believe ALLAH (GOD)

I am very tired because of say something about ISLAM or another religions..!! I am really very tired..!! There are a lot of miracle in cosmos… But still some ones don't believe a God.. I have never said a atheist that '' You must be a muslim''

Be a Muslim.. Be a Christian..Be a Jew… Be a Hindu..Be a Budhist…Be a Zerdüşt… Be a Yezidi….But don't be an Athesit..!!

Because all religions are very holy for me.. To believe a God is a perfect sensation… Everyone should know and live that sensation..!

I want to ask something.. If u don't believe a God, why don't you steal, kill, say lie,...bla..bla…??

I always try to be a good person..I don't steal, kill, say lie and do bad things.. But WHY ?? If i steal, i can live very luxs.. If i kill someone, i can find a vent..!! But WHY I DON'T DO THEM !!! ?  Think a little please..!!

Because i know that Allah (God) always sees, hears me and know what i am thinking and doing..!! Because Allah will award a prize me, if i am good… Or punish me, if i am bad..!!

If you don't believe a God, Let's be a bad person..There isn't any cause to do good things..!!

Let's kill your enemy..

Let's swear me.!!

Let's steal a new car or money's from a bank for be millioner..!!

All religions are holy But i think the best is ISLAM.. Because it is the end and original..!! We didn't change Holy Kur'an..

Hey, you!! It is not very late to believe Allah (God)

ALLAH-U EKBER !! (Allah is the biggest)

03:38 PM Apr 13 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

First, who are "u people"? 

Don't act like .. I dunno the answer  !!>

Good of you to admit that. I don't know who was meant by "u people" either, that's why I asked.  

Second. Whoever WE are, I can't just automatically agree that WE are fighting you or your religion consistently.

Really ? So why Christen people ( not all of them ) stabbing us in our Prophet Mohmmed by the Stubip and ignorant caricature ?> and what about what happening in iraq ? and all the other Muslime countries ? do u call that not fighting ?

Were the artists who drew caricatures of Muhammed Christians? Are you sure? 

I consider those caricatures more of a defense of fee speech than an attack on Islam, but you are free to draw your own conclusions.

You can choose to think that the fighting in Iraq is due to religion, but that would discredit the idea that it is due to oil, or American imperialism, or those other reasons people like to bandy about. A lot of the fighting in Iraq is between the Iraqi army and security forces and groups like the Mahdi army, most if not all muslims.

anthor thing have u ever seen any muslim

offending Jesus ?

Of course the answer will be no and u will never see that Coz we beleive in Jesus Essia and we beleive in all the prophets that's why we are not stabbing u back

Lets see, threating to kill the cartoonists, the publishers of the cartoons and threatening their workplace, attacking embassies, killing nuns, that's fine, as long as no one offends jesus.  

Lastly, even if that were true, how does it prove that Islam is right and true.

and how does it's prove that Christen is right and true ?

Im waiting ur answer … and I would be glad to answer u

It doesn't prove that Christianity is right, just like it doesn't prove that Islam is right and true. It's silly to claim that opposition to something makes it true and right. Most of the world opposed fascism in the 40's, but no one can make a reasoned claim that it proves it was the best way to govern people.

I am not the one claiming that it proves anything. In my opinion it only shows how horrible all religion is for mankind.  

08:32 PM Apr 13 2008 |