Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

what do u think is Islam??

hano202

hano202

Saudi Arabia

Hi all..

You should Know what is "Islam ' word before u add ur comment .. "Islam" mean ..

The word "Islam" itself means "Submission to Allah." The religion of Islam is not named after a person as in the case of "Christianity" which was named after Jesus Christ, "Buddhism" after Gutama Buddha<!-Buddha-> , "Marxism" after Karl Marx, and "Confucianism" after Confucius. 

Similarly, Islam is not named after a tribe like "Judaism" after the tribe of Judah and "Hinduism" after the Hindus. The Arabic word "Islam" means the submission or surrender of one's will to the will of the only true god worthy of worship, "Allah" (known as God "the Father" in Christianity). 

Anyone who does indeed submit to the will of Allah as required by Islam is termed a "Muslim," which means one who has submitted to the will of Allah. Many people in the West have developed the sad misinformed trend of calling Islam "Muhammadenism" and it's followers "Muhammadins." This is a totally foreign word to Muslims and unrecognized by them. No Muslim has ever called his religion "Muhammadenism" or called himself a "Muhammadin."

Do you know what word "Islam" mean now..??

01:40 PM Apr 18 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

Angel: but let's not forget not all of them like that only the group who made that up So let's not judge on all of them but these people Crossed the lines and in Islam we should not Cross the lines coz every thing in Islam is equall we are not so harsh and not so easy which means we are in the middle

I never forget that  there are always good muslims around the globe ;) every religion has the good and the bad followers..it just that the fact of some people using Islam to justify their actions which actually against Islam itself. this is what people, not only muslims, have to fight. these people are dangerous because they keep giving Islam a bad name..I was talking about people who killed while screaming in the name of Allah when actually the religion forbids someone from killing or putting harm to another people. and maybe people who talking bout respect but only talk the talk but not walk the walk(it's my new favorite line I got from my adoptive dad haha)

And yes I'm agree with you about crossing the lines…those people are definitely crossing the lines.  

I'm glad that we can agree to each other at one point ;) I can see your point too ^^

10:20 PM Apr 20 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

4 gkiss

well Angel, knowing about other religions and respecting them doesn't sound like deep knowledge of them, which, according to you, you need to have about something before you can judge it. 

thanks 4 the advise but I know what I am doing …

That wasn't advice. I am just trying to apply your standards of when you can judge something to what you have said.  

So the meanings in here in short debating I beleive in all the religions and I respect all the people who share me the respect

And I never judged the chritesn as bad religion coz I do beleive in it but a group of people had made bad pic of it as the a group of muslims had done

Can you explain what you mean by believing in all the religions. I don't imagine it means you believe in all of their teachings because many are obviously contradictory to those of Islam or any of the others.  

Certainly you can say you are content in your belief. I hope you are.

u hope I am? why since when u know me to say I hope u ar ? when u get knowing me well then come back and say I hope u are ok ?

How well do I have to know you to offer a respectful comment. I do indeed hope that you, or anyone is content in their beliefs. I am pretty regularly accused of being disrespectful here and now you seem to be saying don't be respectful until you know me. I shall refrain, if you wish, from being nice to you.  

But you are still judging other beliefs to be wrong. According to you own standard, you should not do that.

ok don't play here with me Coz I can play as well

Since when I said bad things about christen ? bring me one evidence that I did ? and when u will bring we have anthor talk ..

I don't claim you said bad things about Christianity. I only say that if you say that Islam is the right and true religion then other religions must be wrong, at least in part. You can respect Christianity, you can learn about it, you can have Christian friends, but in the end, if you are a believing Muslim, you have to think that other religions are wrong, don't you?

seriously I dunno why people hate us until now and we are peacful with them

maybe that's according to what they teach u

I wasn't taught to hate anyone. I don't know who you mean by THEY. I don't hate you, Angel, and there is only one person in my life I have EVER felt anything approaching hatred for.  (and it's not you)

11:01 PM Apr 20 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Yes, I am a teacher, so patience and understanding of mistakes are qualities I have to possess in order to do a good job.

I agree that Islam and other religions can share the same basic messages. Don't kill, be nice, respect others, etc. (believe it or not, atheists generally believe the same :-) )

But in the end, if you truly believe that submission to Allah is the only path to righteousness, and the only right and true religion, then all it stands to reason that all other religions or anyone who does not submit to Allah is indeed wrong in some basic way.

You don't have to believe that they are evil, that they are bad people, just wrong.

And that is a judgment. Something you said you should NOT do unless you have deep knowledge of something. 

My point is NOT that you should not judge. Go ahead and judge. My point is that your standard of NOT holding judgment unless you have deep knowledge of a thing is not a good standard to hold people to.  

Sleep well.

12:11 AM Apr 21 2008 |

mankei

mankei

Kenya

Islam is derived from the Arabic root "Salema": peace, purity, submission and obedience. In the religious sense, Islam means submission to the will of God and obedience to His law.

Everything and every phenomenon in the world other than man is administered totally by God-made laws, ie. they are obedient to God and submissive to his laws, they are in the State of Islam. Man possesses the qualities of intelligence and choice, thus he is invited to submit to the good will of God and obey His law, ie, become a Muslim.

Submission to the good will of God, together with obedience to His beneficial Law, ie, becoming a Muslim, is the best safeguard for man's peace and harmony.

Islam dates back to the age of Adam and its message has been conveyed to man by God's prophets and messengers, including Abrahim, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad.

Islam's message has been restored and enforced in the last stage of the religious evolution by God's last prophet and messenger, Muhammad.

The word Allah in the Arabic language means God, or more accurately, The One and Only Eternal God, Creator of the Universe, Lord of all lords, King of all kings, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful. The word Allah to mean God is also used by Arabic speaking Jews and Christians.

02:05 PM Jun 13 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

O JANE,
ARE U CONSIDERING ME fundamentalist and radicals? REPLY ME FRANKLY JANE. I HOPE NOT , WAITING UR REPLY
SEE U LATER
NOW THE OFF SO SEE U TOMORROW
Innocent

02:45 PM Jun 13 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

submission to god is real freedom. when we worship god and follow his commands ,we  are following  our true nature. we are  using both  our hearts and minds. we are not following humans'  points' of view. we are refusing opression and  searching freely our own ways.we are usually submiting to laws made by humans while most of them are imperfect.we are fearing people while they are so vulnerable.people learn from their own experiences. god shows us what is good and what's bad and it's apt to us to  lead our lives.

05:27 PM Jun 13 2008 |

buna

Ethiopia

islam is perfect but know the time the follower face so many thing

12:52 PM Jul 01 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

islam is perfect ???? explain me how

03:48 AM Jul 02 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Java,

u can enter ISLAMWEB.NET or ISLAMONLINE …that's for example and read…u may know HOW..
BUT i hope u to read first before reply.
regards

05:03 AM Jul 02 2008 |

buna

Ethiopia

i have no word express about Islam

08:52 AM Jul 02 2008 |