Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Libérer La Corse!Free Corsica!

rickyzhuang

China

Free Corsica!

People in Corsica should have their right to pursue independence and freedom.

For over 200 years, people in Corsica had never stopped their independence movement.

French government invaded Corsica 200 years ago but now begin to accuse Chinese government as a democratic warrior! Shame on you,France!

Salute! Corsica spirit!
Hypocrasy! France!

01:56 AM Apr 21 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

I totally agree Ricky.  Let the people of Corsica vote on Independence. Let the people of Corsica decide their own fate. The rest of France should have no part of the decision, it should be up to the Corsicans.

Paris should NOT get the Olympic games until  France improves their human rights record, stops censoring the internet, cracks down on the piracy of intellectual property, stops sending unsafe products to the rest of the world and gives foreign media access to Corsica. 

02:16 AM Apr 21 2008 |

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

I totally agree Ricky.  Let the people of Corsica vote on Independence. Let the people of Corsica decide their own fate. The rest of France should have no part of the decision, it should be up to the Corsicans.

Paris should NOT get the Olympic games until  France improves their human rights record, stops censoring the internet, cracks down on the piracy of intellectual property, stops sending unsafe products to the rest of the world and gives foreign media access to Corsica.

Oh wow, I second Greg..Ricky is right!!

France should held voting in Corsica so people there can choose what they want for them!! it's their region and it's their right…

and I agreed…international media should have an access so they can totally report what's happening in Corsica with supporting facts and stuff!

Thanks ricky for making a great post! Wink

02:25 AM Apr 21 2008 |

rickyzhuang

China

Has french gov. recognized Corsica's indenpendence?The answer is negative.

Mark,how if we Chinese support a Free North Ireland and Free Scottland?

04:10 AM Apr 21 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Yes Ricky,  Free Scotland, Free Northern Ireland, Free Wales!

Protest the 2012 Olympics in London. Those British thugs don't deserve it. Look at all the political prisoners. How can we allow a government like that to join the world community?

Scotland has always been a part of Great Britain. They used to be slaves, but now they live a life of luxury. The British government gives thousands of dollars a year to help this region. I wish CNN would stop reporting lies about what's going on there.  

10:49 AM Apr 21 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Isn't Scotland it's own country? As a Scottish friend described it, Scotland has its own parliament seperate from England, its own set of laws and social programs, etc. That is, Scotland is part of Great Britain but is independent from England (unlike Northern Ireland?) I know that my English friends were complaining because in England they have to pay for their university but in Scotland it is free (?) A lot of this is hard for us Americans to grasp, because we use "English" and "British" synonymously, which is apparently a big no-no.

02:38 PM Apr 21 2008 |

korse33

France

I'd like to reply to ricky, I'm Corsican and I have to correct what you've said about Independance. Corsican people, in their majority, feel french as the other french people. You say : 'Has french gov. recognized Corsica's indenpendence?'... such an argument is stupid, because, there is in Corsica only a minority who want to be independant (about 5000 or less through 250 000 corsican people).

Has Corsica an economical or political interest for France,? I don't think so… Corsica has no natural ressources and employement there, is essentially in education or administration… Corsica need France or another country to survive.

I'm also disgusted by the two sentence we could read on a french flag  : 'Napoleon = perverse' and 'free corsica'... saying that, chinese don't honor so much Corsican people, as Napoleon was corsican…

Chinese people are (i think) expose to a propaganda leaded by chinese reporters(who are controlled by the Chinese gov.). You criticize french people for acts of a minority (some tibetans and chinese were responsible of this acts in paris, but i don't think you've seen all the travel of the Olympic Torch in Paris…). French people don't approve generally the behaviour of chinese gov, with the expression right.

That's all. Stop criticize French right now, we are free to do what we want today. 

04:46 PM Apr 26 2008 |

caseduke

United States

Korse33, I understand that your feeling was deeply hurt as a French and Corsican when someone shouts "Free Corsica" in here. I guess the point that Ricky was trying to put across here is not indeed "Free Cortica", but to let you feel how Chinese feel and understand how their feeling was hurt when French shouted "Free Tibet" in the street of Paris. Just put you in their shoes, so to speak…

Also you mentioned that there is in Corsica only a minority who want to be independant. You probably don't know that this is also very true in Tibet. However, the voice of Tibetan independence has been so much magnified in western countries because of the diplomatic tactics of their exile government, who only represents 5% privileged population in Tibet in the 50s who owned all the land and wealth in Tibet, even the lives of over 90% Tibetans as their serfs and slaves.

And I do agree with you that Corsica need France, but at the same time it is sad to know that the Corsican language is currently in danger of becoming extinct. Keeping the cultural identity is extremely difficult if one minority culture merges into a much stronger and influential culture. American Indians and Autralian aborigines are sadly virtually extinct already. Was it historical trends or was it govenmental acts? Will this happen to Corsican culture or Tibetan culture? To answer these questions, what we should learn is to respect and to understand… and sometimes we do need to be put into another's shoes to know it…  

08:10 AM May 04 2008 |

rickyzhuang

China

korse33,ok so Chinese are also free to do what they like.We will not interfere French internal affairs and you french also can't

08:34 AM May 04 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Ricky,

When the people of France (or most of the rest of Europe, North America etc.) who have the freedom to express their opinions in public decide to protest the actions of another country, it is not interfering in the internal affairs of another country. No more so than boycotting Carrefour or protesting the reporting of CNN.  

01:18 PM May 04 2008 |

乾坤

乾坤

China

Free Corsica!

02:22 PM May 04 2008 |