Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Do you live in 'real' democratic country?

azureop

azureop

South Korea

I'm from South Korea, that is Republic of Korea.

As you know, (or you could don't know) S.Korea is one of the democratic countries.

S.Korea fighted against dictatorship in 1960s, 70s and against the military authorities in 80s.

And Korea finally achieved democracy in 90s. And I'm the benefiter of history.

However, yesterday I'm shocked while surfing the internet news related 'Bejing Olympic 2008"

In news said, There was physical conflicts between Chinese students studying in Korea and

those who shout anti-war(including those who object to China government constraining Tibet.) when

2008 Bejing Olympic torch's moving in s.Korea.

I think naturally both have a right to express own opinion at first.

But When I read the news, I can't understand Chinese students' violence to people.

In my opinion, it's against principles of democracy.

related pic

pic exp : 'Kick to anti-China demostrationer' April 27, chinese students were beating one civil who was against "Olympic Torch Ceremony" in Olympic park in Seoul. The police took him to the hospital.

Do you think that I live in a 'real' democratic country? And do you live in 'real' democratic country?

05:36 AM Apr 28 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

azureop

azureop

South Korea

AngelSmle@

who is 'they'? I've thought that Middle-Asia countries have earned so much money with petroleum because I leared that in school and media told me in such way. however, it's not fact at least to common UAE'ion(is it right?). I'll think about that seriouly. I promise you. And. BTW so what did you do and what have you done for your right or for your country's poor people? Did you 'do' anything that helps your right or the other's human right. not just saying 'word' or having criticism or compliants.

05:46 AM Apr 29 2008 |

alvin.liu

alvin.liu

China

azureop-

could you give us the whole newspaper, and the whole comment on that newspaper. And how could you provide your picture is not a fake?

06:03 AM Apr 29 2008 |

azureop

azureop

South Korea

alvin.liu@

yes, it's possible think that way. if i were chinese, i would thought that way. So. I post a whole newspaper (it written by Korea Herald). yes it can be a little editored by them, korea herald journalists but in s.korea one incident could'nt extremely distorted by one media because of well developed Internet surroundings. Below's news.

Seoul slams Chinese torch relay violence

The government yesterday expressed "strong regret" over the violence by Chinese demonstrators during Sunday's Olympic torch relay in Seoul.

Deputy Foreign Minister Lee Yong-joon delivered the message of regret to Chinese Ambassador to Seoul Ning Fukui during a meeting at his office.

"Ambassador Ning visited the ministry to thank us for the tight security measures for the torch relay," a ministry official said. "We showed him police reports on violence caused by some young Chinese people and expressed strong regret."

Talking to reporters after the meeting, the ambassador sought to contain the fallout from the incident.

"What I want to stress is that Chinese people, especially Chinese students here, have good feelings about South Koreans," Ning said. "(I) will continue efforts not to damage the public sentiment of both nations. I think it requires joint efforts by the two governments."

On Sunday, more than 6,000 Chinese students studying here rallied in support of the torch relay for the Beijing Olympics in August. As the students scuffled with South Korean anti-Beijing demonstrators along the streets in parts of Seoul, they were seen throwing rocks, chunks of wood, water bottles and drinks cans at the crowd.

During the process, a journalist and a police officer were hit on the head with a weapon carried and thrown by pro-Chinese supporters.

Four people, including a Chinese student hurling a stone at protesters, were arrested yesterday for disrupting the relay, police said.

As the news of the violent protest spread nationwide, citizens fumed with anger.

"The Chinese should be very ashamed of what happened yesterday and what has been happening so far," said Kang Shin-ho, 27, a Seoul citizen. "Since there were thousands of South Korean police already on site to protect the torch throughout the relay, there was no reason for any violence, and it is also against the Olympic spirit."

A 39-year-old company official who wished to be identified only by his family name Kim, said the Chinese should have respected the law of the country they were in, which stresses non-violent protests.

"Peaceful demonstrations are always more effective than violent ones. I personally think that violence only begets violence," he said.

Some human rights groups here also denounced the actions of Chinese students and residents.

"We would like to question whether Beijing has the right to hold the Olympic Games when such an incident occurred, at a time China says it is wishing for world peace," pastor Kim Kyu-hong, head of a group against the Olympic torch relay, told a news conference. "How could foreigners commit such violence to a nation's citizens, without any restraint?"

In recent months, human rights activists here have been protesting against the Olympic torch relay, citing China's treatment of North Korean defectors and its crackdown on demonstrators in Tibet.

By Cho Ji-hyun

()

<!- www.koreaherald.co.kr ->

06:29 AM Apr 29 2008 |

azureop

azureop

South Korea

AngelSmile@ 

Yes. I don't know all about it, your custom..and i'm really sorry for those girls.

but am I lucky? In korea, we can easily get info. about middle asia including your country. and from time to time i read news which shows raped or even killed girls because of her mistake(maybe it's not a mistake, just illegal on their family as you said.)

So some shout for their right of freedom in NGO etc.

However you know what funny? When we say it's not moral and againt-human right, they say "it's just respective custom. don't constain us. Rather, it's violence to custom, Middle Asia.."

I've seen an abduct-marriage(bride kidnapping)in Kyrgyztan at documantary movie. In film, when director ask if it is againt bride's personality, they(including bride) said "don't enforce us by your values".

surely, you must hate this and suck it. But. in third point of view, as my status, i can't tell what is really for them.

Then What do we have to say? We have to 'enforce' common human right? or really 'repect' them?

06:54 AM Apr 29 2008 |

M. Augustus

United States

There are no real 'democracies' on Earth.

Thank goodness for that! 

07:12 AM Apr 29 2008 |

H.E

China

The pictures are true. These Chinese were a bit thick.

Have you guys read the news that during torch relay in Japan, several Chinese students were beaten to blood by Japanese right wing? I had said many Japanese didn't admit what they did in WW2 whatsoever.

09:24 AM Apr 29 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

my country have nothing to do with democracy 

02:39 PM Apr 29 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Do you condemn that peole burned American or British flag to show their protest against Iraq war?

Not to speak for Mark, but as an American citizen I am perfectly OK with people burning the US flag in reaction to the Iraqi war. In fact, people in other countries are free to say whatever they wish about the United States – that is their right. They are soveriegn countries. We do not have the right to control what foreigners say about our country.

Only a small percentage of Japanese people continue to deny the evils perpetrated by the Japanese military during WW2.

I've had more than one Japanese person tell me that "Nanking never happened" or in otherwise candid moments deny attrocities commited by the Japanese, particularly against China. There was quite a big debate on our university campus when the Japanese students put up a series of posters showing victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and then the Chinese students put up posters showing the victims of Nanking.

I don't think that this is part of any terrible government conspiracy, I just think that people don't like to focus on bad things done in the past – at least not when they are the ones who have done the bad things. In America we're very uneasy talking about the slave trade, or the Vietnam war. 

04:05 PM Apr 30 2008 |

hekmer

hekmer

Saudi Arabia

I LOVE MY COUNTERY IN ANY WAY, I CARE ABOUT ITS PEAS AT FIRST,

O ALLAH, KEEP IT IN PEAS FOR US

GO, GO … GO TO UP TOP OF THE CLOUDS , EVEN IF YOU FROM EARTH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv5M175n10A 

04:18 PM Apr 30 2008 |

birgül1

Turkey

are there anybody there to help me?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09:18 PM Apr 30 2008 |