Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Do you live in 'real' democratic country?

azureop

azureop

South Korea

I'm from South Korea, that is Republic of Korea.

As you know, (or you could don't know) S.Korea is one of the democratic countries.

S.Korea fighted against dictatorship in 1960s, 70s and against the military authorities in 80s.

And Korea finally achieved democracy in 90s. And I'm the benefiter of history.

However, yesterday I'm shocked while surfing the internet news related 'Bejing Olympic 2008"

In news said, There was physical conflicts between Chinese students studying in Korea and

those who shout anti-war(including those who object to China government constraining Tibet.) when

2008 Bejing Olympic torch's moving in s.Korea.

I think naturally both have a right to express own opinion at first.

But When I read the news, I can't understand Chinese students' violence to people.

In my opinion, it's against principles of democracy.

related pic

pic exp : 'Kick to anti-China demostrationer' April 27, chinese students were beating one civil who was against "Olympic Torch Ceremony" in Olympic park in Seoul. The police took him to the hospital.

Do you think that I live in a 'real' democratic country? And do you live in 'real' democratic country?

05:36 AM Apr 28 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

birgül1

Turkey

I am exiting the site.I hope ı can enter again.if ı cant enter,you knowthere isnt democrasy in this site.

09:23 PM Apr 30 2008 |

wangdongxue

China

Those Chinese students love China but expressed in an inapproperiate way. They should be punished if they break the laws of Korea. I hope all Chinese calm down. 

01:03 AM May 01 2008 |

waxiaoku

China

It is wrong to beat others.

a person who kills a killer is also called killer.

02:44 AM May 01 2008 |

H.E

China

The lattest news about Chinese students beat Koreans:

According to a latest evidence it is the Korean attacked Chinese students first.

Here is the picture:

http://world.huanqiu.com/news/2008-05/102097.html

It is becoming more and more confusing and complexed.

03:42 AM May 01 2008 |

azureop

azureop

South Korea

H.E@

Yes, it's partly right, in here, internet news said Chinese students claimed that "It's too harsh, we thought Korean could understand our status unlike westerners who were against China during 'olympic torch relay'period. and actually there's some offence from against-olympic demonstrationer. too"

Now, I also couldn't know exactly what happened in there at that time. and maybe both country media might side in their own country for thier interest.

Whoever used violence first, it's apparent that any violence must not be admitted in any sircumstances. and it's not proper way to solve the problem.

BTW.PS. now Korean government announced that the Chinese students who involved crime will be punished by Korean law.  

06:03 AM May 01 2008 |

Mirzogolib

Mirzogolib

Uzbekistan

NO My countries is NOT democratic !!!Frown

11:14 AM May 01 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Do you accept such behavior the first time you saw people were burning US flag or you get accustomed to it gradually?

Small-Q –

Well, when I was young there was a big debate over whether or not buring the flag should be illegal in the USA. In our country we have a constitution which guarantees the right for people to make any sort of statement, no matter how outrageous. People felt  that the flag should be respected, and yet other people felt that the constitution should be respected. Which is more important? I think the constitution is more important, but that is just my opinion.  

During the Vietnam war, it was quite a familiar site to see many young Americans burnt he flag in protest against the war. In fact, there was even a photo of some young americans burning the US flag in my history textbook!

As to what foreigners do in their own countries – the issue here is not whether or not I accept it. My feelings are not important, people in other countries have the right to say whatever they want in their countries. I canot control their behavior. I can accept it, or I can get angry about it, but I cannot stop it.

03:17 PM May 01 2008 |

hands_1411

hands_1411

Viet Nam

So eventually, who was the first to blow up the fight ? Chinese students or the other side ?

@: Asking a little more about the US Constitution, does that law matter to American who used to be a foreigner ?

03:53 PM May 01 2008 |