Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Sometimes it's not the wealth you have but what's inside you that others need.

NabilaSh

NabilaSh

Syrian Arab Republic

A wise woman who was traveling in the mountains found a precious stone in a stream. The next day she met another traveler who was hungry, and the wise woman opened her bag to share her food. The hungry traveler saw the precious stone and asked the woman to give it to him. She did so without hesitation.

The traveler left, rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew the stone was worth enough to give him security for a lifetime.

But, a few days later, he came back to return the stone to the wise woman. "I've been thinking," he said. "I know how valuable this stone is, but I give it back in the hope that you can give me something even more precious. Give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me this stone."

08:23 PM May 17 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

birgül1

Turkey

maybe it can be summarize as ''humanity''.

it is very nice story,thanks nabilaş

08:30 PM May 17 2008 |

NabilaSh

NabilaSh

Syrian Arab Republic

birgul1,

thanks.. do you think that what the woman did  is right ??

08:40 PM May 17 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

generosity and devotion are the most precious qualities man can have.they show the beauty of our hearts and they improve our ways of living.

08:41 PM May 17 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

the woman gave more than a stone she gave the best of her self.so she must be right

08:45 PM May 17 2008 |

NabilaSh

NabilaSh

Syrian Arab Republic

of caurse she is right .. but for some of people, that is more than what can we give.

and we forgot something is important, that traveler ask the woman to give him more.. what can she give him more?? it's her heart!!!

i think when traveler ask about the stone , maybe he really want him.. but when he ask her heart, he began to seem coveter..

09:09 PM May 17 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Friends,

Woman want to give him this quality,can this quality which traveller wants to get has the capacity to receive ? This is the real question.

This kind of quality has to be earned & learned by one's own efforts,I feel this the real religion & it has no bouderies,the person having such qualities can't confine himself any group or kind of religion.this is the relgiousness of the religion.

These kinds of qualities can't be transferred by clicking but desire to become such great human can be triggered & this is the real function of that human who had attained such height,only he has the authority  & capacity to trigger.

This greatness belongs to religiousness not with religion.

Thanks for your kind feelings.

12:51 AM May 18 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

a man who doesn't give. doesn't know how to receive.it's easy to give material things while it's not evident concerning feelings.our hearts are not ours. you can't simply push a button to love someone.it just comes and usually when we don't expect it.love are deep feelings.it's sincere and honest.no place for cheating.

02:10 PM May 18 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

Dev,

A non generous man can't be a religious one.even if he proclaims himself god's servant.religion includes the best and the highest qualities you have ever experienced.and  religion too has to be earned and learned by our's own efforts.  it's a whole life  trip .it helps your soul to fly higher and higer and your feet to remain on hard soil.

thanks for your challenging ideas.

02:34 PM May 18 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

its a nice way to learn vocabulary by ebaby life talk,you mustn't  learn vocabulary, the most words come again and again…so my first word i learned -without vocabulary learning -by ebaby was cheating….this word you can find nearly in every topic….but the word coveter i think i must learn…i don't know why the word cheating come again and again and the word coveter seems to be tabu…why??? cheating is only possible when there has been coveter before.

lilimira i understand what you mean by ""our heart are not ours"" strong believers are maybe more sensible in this case than other people. there sometimes happened things you can't explain by mind thats true…but the heart (soul)belong to you, even when you think you have it lost to your big love or something else… i think the heart (soul) is part of the inner balance.on the one side there is the mind on the other side is the heart(soul)

06:07 PM May 18 2008 |

NabilaSh

NabilaSh

Syrian Arab Republic

ciciel,yes this story isn't just about women.. it is about all wise people..

Lilimira, you said good about religion.. I agree with you…

Spontan, you think the heart (soul) is part of the inner balance . and I think that too.. our  cells heart can to perceive..

Dev, it's a wise opinion .. your Q was: can this quality which traveler want to get has the capacity to receive? Good Q . and I think the next Q is : can we get to be wise in all situations of our life ?? what's matter that can to learn us to be wise ?? ( I have my answer for me : my religion is learning me to be a wise woman ).

Plz read the next story carefully :

They say that once upon a time, there lived a man who wanted to achieve everything he was capable of achieving. He was obsessed with this desire. He ate, slept, and walked with one and only dream: to die, having accomplished every single thing he was able to accomplish.

There were so many things he could do. He felt like the whole world could be his, if he only set his mind to it. At times, he was even horrified by the powers hiding in his mind and heart. He was certain-in fact-he knew that his potential had no limits. He knew that he could accumulate power that would dwarf the power of ancient kings; he knew that he could write books that would shake the minds of generations to come; he knew that he could invent things that would forever change the lives of millions of people. He lived, constantly feeling the power within-and that power knew no bounds.

There was only one obstacle: having such a potential, but only one life, he had to make a choice. He had to decide where to apply all of his enormous abilities. Making that decision was extremely hard, for any choice meant cutting off some future achievements. And so in the meantime, he went to school, graduated, found a respectable well-paid job, married, and bred children. And he spent every minute of his spare time trying to decide where he should apply all his might. Even though he was not interested in applying it to his work, his power was impossible to hide. He was successful in everything he touched, and he earned great respect of the people who worked with him. And all the while, he thought to himself: Imagine what I would achieve once I concentrate entirely on the area of my choice.

Time went by, and he grew older. Some roads he used to dream about became closed to him. But there was still so much he could accomplish. And he kept thinking hard while working, raising children, dealing with everyday problems, and knowing that his potential had no limits. And most people who knew him were of the same opinion, for it was impossible not to realize this, being around him for a while.

One day, a sudden chest pain made him come home early. He dragged his feet to the bathroom. There, feeling weak and empty, he looked in the mirror. A worn-out, gray-haired man stared back at him. But his eyes, though red and tired, were still full of unrealized potential. He peered into these eyes and, all of a sudden, realized one simple truth. The next moment, the pain pierced his heart again, and it stopped beating forever.

Where is our way ??

07:05 PM May 18 2008 |