Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

An Analogy

aljensen

aljensen

United States

You go to a party.

You see there is a pretty girl at the party, you are attracted to her. She is different and unusual.

But all she does is talk about herself.

She tells everyone about how wonderful she is, about how smart she is, and about how famous and rich she is going to become.

Then, she starts to whine and complain:

Some people have insulted her, or made fun of her behind her back. All she does is repeat and repeat the insults that some strangers have said about her, and she keeps asking, "Can you believe that? Can you believe they said that about me? How DARE they talk that way about me?"

Then she screams, "WHY DOES EVERYONE INSULT ME?"

You cannot understand why she is so upset. The people who have made fun of her are not even at the party.

You compliment her and say, "Well, you are very beautiful."

And she says, "Yes, I know."

Some people at the party start to get annoyed, because this girl seems very arrogant, and even a little bit scary. She is way too angry for no reason.

So they ask her to leave.

She gets very upset. She starts to scream, "I KNEW YOU WERE ALL AGAINST ME. Well, I am going to be the RICHEST and most POWERFUL woman EVER. You will all be sorry. I will make it so that you can never make fun of me or insult me ever again!"

But before she leaves, she then says in a very sweet voice, "Oh, by the way, everybody here is cordially invited to a nice summer party I am throwing this August. Please come!!!"

Then she slams the door and walks out.

04:57 PM May 28 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Sawdestination

Mexico

I know 2 persons that acts like the girl of your story.

She is creating the environment that sorround her. Why she expects that everybody loves her if she acts in that way??

But, I try to see what´s the analogy? I mean I don´t get your point!!

05:19 PM May 28 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

It's an analogy for certain aspects of international relations :)

04:42 AM May 29 2008 |

aileench

aileench

China

sounds crazy…

09:18 AM May 29 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Yeah doesn't it? Like if you knew a person who anytime anyone criticized her, or said something mean about her, got really upset and blamed EVERYBODY for what ONE PERSON said, and then went around expecting everyone to sympathize with her, you'd think she was a bit strange, right? 

01:43 PM May 29 2008 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

it’s really a girl typically like..=)
all she needs is attention..
no matter how much money you have it’s count nothing if you didn’t have anyone whom understand and respect you..=)

11:49 AM May 31 2008 |

Tatatata

Russian Federation

I really feel sorry for this girl. It seems she lives under her illusions and really can’t understand why people don’t like her. I suppose her to be very young and inexperienced.

07:43 PM May 31 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Yes, I feel very sorry for people like this too.  Smile

very good analogy, Al

09:40 PM May 31 2008 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

That’s just analogy! Don’t U see that? But i don’t know who/what is given it for! Actualy all people should see theirselves in the mirror! They will find it inside, even just a bit! No matter who you are!

02:37 AM Jun 01 2008 |

slipaway

China

i think US may play such a role of the girl. we all know that US is the most powerful and richest country in the world. because of all this, he is just on tip of our talks, many countries may blame monoply and hegemony. However, we all accept surperior of US, whose open enviroment in nearly everything, many people especially high intellects of countries around the world are anticipating to get a green card. Rediculous!

05:53 AM Jun 01 2008 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

So..Slipaway, do u think Al has made this analogy for his country? If yes, he already looked at himself to the mirror! Now, let we look at ourselves!

07:51 AM Jun 01 2008 |