Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Does Bible prohibit the eating of pork?

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

I’ve been told that Bible prohibits the eating of pork. Their proof is: the book of Leviticus, ch 11, v. 7, it is recorded that God declares the pig to be unclean for believers. Then, in verse 8, God says: “You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.” This command is repeated in Deuteronomy 14:7-8. Then in Isaiah 65:2-4, and 66:17, God issues a stern warning against those who eat pork. Some people are aware of this prohibition from God, but they say they can eat pork because St. Paul said that all food is clean in his letter to the Romans 14:20. St. Paul sid this because he believed (as he wrote in his letter to the Ephesians 2:14-15) that Jesus had abolished the Law with all its commandments and regulations.He seems, however, to have misunderstood what he heard about Jesus. In the Gospel According to Matthew 5:17-20, Jesus is reported to have said quite the contrary, as follows: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law…” Jesus then went on in that passage (in verse 19) to denounce anyone who would break the smallest commandment and teach others likewise. He also praised his true followers who will practice and teach even the smallest commandment. One of the commandments, as we have seen, is to stay away from pork. This is why the true followers of Jesus, holding on to his teachings, did not let unclean food such as pork enter their mouths, so that Peter, the chief disciple can say, “I have never eaten anythng impure or unclean” (Acts of the Apostles, ch 10, v. 14). Five chapters later in the Acts of the Apostles, 15:29, we find that the original disciples still differentiate between clean and unclean foods, and this time Paul is in agreement with them.Six chapters later, in ch. 21, v 25, their decision to impose food regulations on believers is mentioned without regret, and this time Paul is challenged to prove that he is in agreement with them; and he demonstrated his full agreement with them. What remains, then is that Jesus (on whom be peace) upheld the prohibition against pork. His disciples also upheld it. What i want to know is this right or not?

07:38 PM Jun 12 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

Nu, i appreciate your effortsLaughing i will answer after my return to Algeria.

GkissLaughing

04:38 PM Jun 20 2008 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

Nu, I coudn't agree more. I shall thank you cause you didn't answer only the question, but you gave more information about the topic, I like such guys like you and i should thank you cause you didn't jump to conclusions. I just wanted to know what's  the right:), thank you again:)...Nu, i may have other questions if you don't mind:)

10:20 PM Jun 22 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

Here in Sri Lanka, the Muslims who eat crabs, consume only "sea crabs" but not "lagoon crabs" – probably because the ones found in lagoons are not really sea creatures. However, it's the lagoon crabs that are bigger and tastier, and make an excellent curry.

It's true that the Bengalis are so fond of fish (especially "Betti" fish), that its Brahmins accept it as some kind of "vegetable" so that it's permissible to eat!    

OK, Back To the Bible! Well, the Seventh Day Adventists (and there are quite a few in this country) insist that a person who follows the books of Moses/Mossa/Moshe, should be a vegetarian. 

http://www.sdada.org/aboutsda.htm

12:55 PM Jun 24 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

ha ha Ryo, I'll be a little careful with that translator gadget of yours – do you want to say that someone is really interesting or is really interested? Oh, don't worry! A lot of people mix this up; the main thing is to be aware of the difference.  

01:46 PM Jun 24 2008 |

pasific9

pasific9

Algeria

me too iwsh that …really…..

12:58 AM Jun 25 2008 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

Nu, does this mean he is sinning if he eats horse?

Horse is Halal, I think Donkey is Makruh, not forbidden as you mentioned; it is better to avoid it, but eating it is not a sin.

Ryot, thank you.

10:44 PM Jun 25 2008 |

birgül1

Turkey

are you sure,Dear Zanaz?

I am not sure but horse is haram in Islam.we dont eat horse in Turkey.

11:27 PM Jun 25 2008 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

Birgul;

"There is nothing wrong, as far as Islam is concerned, in eating horses' meat after they are slaughtered according to the Islamic manner.

There are so many hadiths which state that eating horses' meat is halal. Asma' Bint Abi Bakr (may Allah be pleased with her) said: 'We slaughtered a mare, during the lifetime of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and we ate it.' (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Among those who maintain that eating horses' meat is halal are Al-Qadi Shurayh, Al-Hassan Al-Basri, `Atta', Sa`id Ibn Jubayr, Al-Layth Ibn Sa`d, Sufyan Ath-Thawri, Abu-Yusuf, Muhammad Ibn Al-Hassan, Abu-Thawr and many others.

On the other hand, Imam Malik, Al-Awza`i and Imam Abu Hanifah maintain that eating horses is reprehensible (makruh) but its reprehensibility does not amount to the category of haram. They back their argument by citing the hadith mentioned in Sunan of An-Nassa'i, in which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) forbade his Companions (may Allah be pleased with them all) from eating horses, mules and donkeys. They also cite the following Qur'anic verse in support of their view:

'And horses and mules and asses (has He created) that you may ride them, and for ornament. And He creates that which you know not.' (An-Nahl: 8)

However, Imam Shafi`i maintains that the aforementioned verse is not related to the permissibility of eating horses or otherwise. The verse is cited, he says, in the context of showing Allah's Blessings, His Clear Signs, His Eternal Wisdom and His Omnipotence.

In addition, Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal states that the hadith cited by Imam Malik and Imam Abu Hanifah and those who adopt their view has a weak isnad (chain of narrators) as there are two men in its chain of narrators who are unknown. Hence, this weak hadith cannot overrule the other one, which is authentic.

In short, eating horses is permissible according to most scholars and schools of Fiqh."

11:35 PM Jun 25 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

I think that the crabs shown above are sea crabs.

The lagoon crabs live more inland, in what the old folks refer to as "brackish water" – a mixture of salt and fresh ("sweet") water, with a lot of decaying vegetable matter from the mangroves.  The crabs are almost totally bottom dwelling and are usually hand-caught using traps in shallow waters.  They are true scavengers. On the other hand, sea crabs live out in the sea, usually near coral reefs or rocks.

"Betty", I spelled it wrong, it's "bekti" fish – the "rice puller" of the Bengali.

http://asianwindow.wordpress.com/2008/03/01/in-praise-of-bengali-cuisine/

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/asia/india/calcutta/restaurant-detail.html?vid=1154654653764

Scientific Name:   LATES CALCARIFER
Common Name:       BARRAMUNDI PERCH
Vernacular:        GIANT PERCH/ PALMER/ COCKUP/ BEKTI/ NAIRFISH/
SILVER BARRAMUNDI/ ASIAN SEABASS

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172022

07:24 AM Jun 27 2008 |

cintagoyangdangdut

Indonesia

Brother and sister, lets see about “gene pork and a human said 80-90%”...something like tht. D u know who discover tht? A scientist from Canada and He is Christian. Proof tht dont eat pork, when u eat pork tht you are a Kanibal, meaning human eat human. I knew from breaking news and in internet too. Check it out man!!! Many people ignore it abut tht, because they are become to selfish to God and become stubborn, i am telling you as human cared to human who doesn’t know. God created brain, He gave to you, meaning for to think, just think before do something. Peace

01:06 PM Jul 21 2012 |