Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Please, I need your suggestion

lilly1984

Mongolia

I have been working for almost six years. In the first year, I found it was very difficult to perfectly fulfill my job. At first i thought I lacked of related knowledge but later on I gradually realized it was my personality that caused the problem. I wanted to quit, but my parents and friends around me said:"don't give up so easliy. And if you can't overcome the difficulites in this job, you won't succeed in another one." So I stayed and up till today. But I still feel it is very hard for me to suit the job. Should I change myself , challenge and overcome myself or find another job?

My job involves dealing with people but I am not good at social activities. And I think the chances of changing my personality are very slim. So what should I do? The job I am doing is a very good job with sound salary and handful of leisure time. If i choose another job , I don't secure the job is the same good as this one. But I feel anguished. And what is more I can't secure I am qualified for the new job.

What should I do? stay or leave? I need your help.

09:47 AM Jun 24 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Sawdestination

Mexico

If you are not confortable with your job maybe it´s time to let it go. I mean, you are wasting your time, nerves and getting so frustraded; this is not good for you.

Why don´t you start checking for another job? but until then you don´t quit of your actual job. And don´t be afraid of trying to discover if you are capable or not for a new job, I mean 6 years it´s a lot of time of experience!! Of course you can do it in another company or even in another city.

Take care and good luck!! ;)

06:54 PM Jun 24 2008 |

lilly1984

Mongolia

If I change my present job, i will do anothertype of job which is totally different from this one.

Should I call it inconsiderate,nervy or courageous?

I don't know which leg I shoud step the first so that maybe I will decide by tossing a coin?

I wrote in another post that I admire Rechael so much because she bravely left her families and tried to be independent. I am a little similar to her. My life was arranged by my parents. Actually I got my present job by social net of my parents, I never attempted to get one through a real interview. I feel so shameful about it. My relatives and friends envy me very much, saying:"you have such a good job." Yes, it is true that my present job is very honoral and respectable and enjoy a high social status.

But because of my job I am suffering from insomnia recently.

Sometimes I gave advice to my friends and simpliy said:"just do it." But now I realize that the decision doesn't come easy. There are so many stuff to think over.

Thanks anyway for your advice.

11:38 PM Jun 24 2008 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

I love independent woman. You’re one in a million.=)
It’s ok if you don’t feel satisfied with your current job just because it’s a result of family connection. Y’know it’s normal to have that advantage and it’s normal also to have that uneasy feeling. One thing you should do is just have to prove yourself, to yourself and the other who doubt about your ability, that you’re worthed to that work, that you’re capable to handle that work. Let them see your skill and never let such crtitics make you down.
But y’know I’d apply for work if I’m comfortable with it. So just trying to place yourself in the comfort zone in your work so then you’d not get frustrated like that. Btw I’m only a college student so I’m sorry if I really don’t know your current condition like.
Good luck lily.

01:51 AM Jun 25 2008 |

milly831226

China

If you don't feel happy ,give up your job.Or else ,continue!!

The right of determination is on your hand .

But I think ,every job has its difficulty .

Come on!! 

06:27 AM Jun 25 2008 |

Jojo Young

Jojo Young

China

if you really can't give up the job you have now, or you can try to adapt to it, try to find out the interests in it , try to make youself like your job~! of if you really hate the boring and depressive life with the job, you can change for another one! but, when we choose sth, we must lost sth. so, make your good choice, and good luck!

06:51 AM Jun 25 2008 |

prince-XS

prince-XS

China

i agree with Jojo.Taking things as they come!!

08:37 AM Jun 25 2008 |

czarken01

Pitcairn

well u can enroll at a personality development academy ( no offense meant) if u have one in your country.

If u like the job and the only thing that hinders u from liking it completely is our personality…

u don't have to change job… u can develop (not change) your personality.

09:33 AM Jun 25 2008 |

lilly1984

Mongolia

czarken, I don't know "personality development academy" and never heard of the name. Is it close to psychology?

Do you think personality can be perfected? Is it possible?

Besides, thanks the suggestions from all of you. I will think them over prudently.

I wrote down the post the day on which I was a little exaggerated. Now I have felt better. Thanks.

11:15 AM Jun 26 2008 |

greekman

greekman

Greece

Lilly, what kind of job do you like to do? Tell us about your qualifications? Is it easy to find another job by yourself? 

I understand that  your position is difficult. I am sure you will find the correct solution. You look smart and brave.  

04:28 PM Jun 26 2008 |

ophilia

ophilia

China

Hi lilly, if you are really agonizes over your job, why not try to find another one you really love? I presume people are only reluctant to laugh off and conquer the dificulties they encounter in the career they really love. Do you love your present job?

By the way do you know what kind of job would you like to do? What was your dream when you were younger? Think about it and you will find the solution.  

Best wishes to you.

03:40 AM Jun 27 2008 |