Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

About 'salat' or 'Namaaz'

devindernagpal

India

Friends,

I wish to know the prayer which a real muslim do five times a day & want to know meanings too.I have tried here,here people call that prayer 'namaaz',I contacted five muslim men who perorm 'namaaz' five times a day,I asked them meanings but none of them knows it.Is it not necessary to know what are you saying in your prayer ?.I feel we must have knowldge what we are doing & saying!

P.S.:Please do not post long 'cut paste's.

Regards

05:31 PM Jul 02 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

NabilaSh

NabilaSh

Syrian Arab Republic

hi dev,

befor we will give our answers, i want to ask you plz how is your islam steps? did you ask somebody to guide you to be muslim? or what?

05:46 PM Jul 02 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Yes,I did the first step & trying to acquire knowldge to move further.

05:52 PM Jul 02 2008 |

NabilaSh

NabilaSh

Syrian Arab Republic

good for you dev, i will give you now one meaning of Salaah:

the salaah strengthens the bonds of love and unity between the Muslims. It break down all social differences that may exist between them; they all stand together side by side in rows, the old and young, the rich and poor, and the noble and ignoble. All people are the same, humbling themselves before Allah, facing the same direction ( the Qiblah), performing the same actions, reciting the same recitation, all at the same time.

08:36 PM Jul 02 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Nabila,

Thanks a lot,I am new in this river of religion,iwish to understand all depths or the questions that that may arise from time to time,I have one problem that I just can't move blindly,Ijust can't be a parrot like,so I will put you people in trouble to understand & follow the way to move in totallity.

Thanks & Regards.

01:01 AM Jul 03 2008 |

lisberth

Dominican Republic

hello

02:49 AM Jul 03 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

keep on asking  Dev , you should not move blindly  

in fact  ,  I want to thank you  for this question 

you push me to refresh my believe in this five namaazs .   I appreciate that . I am exhausted with this life , for this I do not  think of the meaning   of my salat  ,  I just do it with busy heart . but with these question realy you wake me up  . 

after reading you post  , I remembered the aims of the Salats and its meanings    and this influenced on my feeling during performing it  this day  ,   I felt sipirtually pleasure  more than any  days before .  

what Nabila wrote  is right and true   ,  yet it is just as what she said ( one meaning ) ,  this meaning  related to the reasons behind God's order to  perform the salat with a large group in the mosque and the benefit of this order  .

but not all muslims  can do it in the mosque . most of our prayers we preform it alone at home or at work . 

so there are many other meanings should be mentioned  .  

12:20 PM Jul 03 2008 |

NabilaSh

NabilaSh

Syrian Arab Republic

yes dev, as hakimi's advice,go to the musque..

see muslims in them Salaah ,and ask the ( Imam) there..

02:12 AM Jul 04 2008 |

vivsky

vivsky

China

i do not konw if u often use MSN!if u often use it ,i hope u can ad me!perhaps we will be the best Friends!my MSN !

02:32 AM Jul 04 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

hi dev,

it's true what all the friends said and in a mosque you can feel the equality between people.

can you believe it? ihave never been to a mosque.i'd like to but they are small and crouded here and they preach some ideas i don't like.

but i pray at home and  everywhere.from my own experience i can say it help you to get near god and to have inner peace.we are busy running after our material needs then we stop to face god and worship him.it gives us spiritual suply to go on with faith and courage.

in the prayer we read a special verse which starts by thanking god and worshiping him.then asking him to lead us to the straight way.it's not easy for me to translate all the salat but you may find a site or somebody like an imam who knows the meaning.

i find it awful if people pray without knowing the meaning.god loves people who have knoledge.

07:23 PM Jul 05 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Friends,

I shall try to follow the suggestions & learn the way of life.

As Lilimira said there is politics in every religion,political people use religious forums as their tool ,which makes our mind irreligious.

& I feel many real religious people don't go to musqes,temples & churches just because of this & they prefer to worship God inside their homes.

What a pity ?

It's not easy for me to translate all the Salat… 

I feel it very strange that

If a woman of such a high calliper can't translate it,who will be able to do that ?

I feel reigion does not live in religious places ,it lives in hearts.

01:38 AM Jul 06 2008 |