Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

the last name of women

NabilaSh

NabilaSh

Syrian Arab Republic

hi , 

in some countries ,woman should change her last name when she get married!!! why?

is that a equitable ? what's your opinion?!!!!

10:06 PM Jul 29 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Maggie_Guo

Maggie_Guo

China

I think it's ok, coz once man and woman get married, it  means they are becoming a couple, a family. So it's no problem for them sharing the same surnameSmile.....

12:57 AM Jul 30 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

NabilaSh,

Perhapes it is due to male's dominent personality or if there has been love, it may be due to mergence of both souls in togetherness.

But I have the question why do we have our 2nd name ? We should not have:I feel !!!!

01:01 AM Jul 30 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

NabilaSh,
it is in the west as i know and may other countries but i'm sure it is not in islamic countries.
but i think it is fair to belong to her father first then her husband because the first relashionship is eternal but the second may not.
dev.,

But I have the question why do we have our 2nd name ? We should not have:I feel !!!!
simililarity in names will cause confusion..
for ex.,
i give it to john…..john who? oh, john hex
that's right or what?!!..
regards
salamWink

05:10 AM Jul 30 2008 |

NabilaSh

NabilaSh

Syrian Arab Republic

i think it's ok to have 2nd name , maybe we will need to have 3nd or more for distinguishing between people. in islamic countries we haven't this matter.. but maybe in the west ,yea… i think that because the marriage was eternal in another religion like Christianity.

but it is untill now…why?

02:50 PM Jul 30 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

in algeria women  usually change there last names after marriage officially (in papers,job)and they are free not to do that but in everyday life women are called to their fathers and preserve their last names.they can be married but they are independent individuals.

01:32 PM Jul 31 2008 |

Look.For.Smile

Saudi Arabia

such as :    Victoria Becham . Angela Merkel

maybe because a husband will feels more strong and responsible .

with these nasty women Cool

by the way . females in saudi called by thair fathers' name

02:03 PM Jul 31 2008 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

If I marry, I won't change my surname..

Just will add my husband's surname near mine…

For exam: Sibel A….

Then it will be > Sibel B…. A….

04:42 PM Jul 31 2008 |

_innocent_

_innocent_

Turkey

in Turkey women generally change…but i dont think i will change=)

08:59 PM Jul 31 2008 |

gosde

gosde

Turkey

in my opinion it means being a family so i want to take his surname near me.But of course i will use mine too

11:17 PM Jul 31 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

In my country it is custom to adopt the name of your husband when you marrie him. I think most woman do for romantic reasons. It is not obbligated, you have a choise. Children will have the last name of the father when their parents are married, the last name of the mother when they are not.

03:18 PM Aug 03 2008 |