Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

An old American muslim

lovelysara

lovelysara

United Arab Emirates

Why do we read Quran, even if we can’t understand a single Arabic word????

This is a beautiful story.
An old American Muslim lived on a farm in the mountains of eastern Kentucky with his young grandson. Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading his Quran. His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate him in every way he could.

One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I try to read the Quran just like you but I don't understand it, and what I do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the Qur'an do?"

The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and replied, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a basket of water."
The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket instead.

The old man said, "I don't want a bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You're just not trying hard enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again.

At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket was again empty. Out of breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!"

"So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the &nbs! p;basket ."

The boy looked at the basket and for the first time realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out.

"Son, that's what happens when you read the Qur'an. You might not understand or remember everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out. That is the work of Allah in our lives."

<!- / message ->

07:47 AM Aug 17 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Galina

Iceland

its really a wounderfull story,and as a muslim this is what we are belife  ,

but for the non arabic people or the peoble who can't understand arabic know adays there is many ways to make them read and understand there religion very well .

thanx

08:11 AM Aug 17 2008 |

ua_couple

ua_couple

Pakistan

Its a great Wonderfull story dear

09:01 AM Sep 11 2008 |

DS

DS

Algeria

wow, it's a verry nice story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

As Galina said, nodays even non Arabic people could undertsand teh Qur'an because it's translate to many languages.

But, it's true, reading Qur'an in Arabic is unique.

09:43 AM Sep 11 2008 |

zeus2006

zeus2006Super Member!

Turkey

Hi friends,(Actually I saw this story before, it was written by Nadiaa/Pakistan,And I copied my writting from there, to this topic.)

I will never be able to understand that to read Koran by Arabic Language.

Who will tell me someone reads a story which doesn't know its language.For example:I don't know French and I read a story which is in French. Ofcourse I will not understand anything. By the way I don't have to learn French to understand that story. If one knows they can translate and I can read it in my own language. In my country, why I don't know Koran is still be prefered to read Arabic even they don't understand anything. Koran is a constitution for our religion. If we don't understand what God say us to do, how we will do it.Can you imagine your country's constitution was written German?No any translation just read German,  ofcourse People will not understand anything? If we read Koran in our own language at that time many people will understand what Koran says.

A real story: My mom had a praying at our home, hodja (Muslim preacher) was reading a verse of Koran, But many woman were crying later I asked why they cried. They didn't know arabic and they don't understand anything just they got mistical feeling. That verse's meaning was : ''girl and boy who you have, don't  treat differently between them.Share out your goods equal between them.'' Now, this is lesson which we must learn and put into practice, but how, those woman still don't know arabic and they don't want to read Koran in Turkish.Why? Because some our hodjas say if one reads Koran except arabic, God will not excapt that.In my opinion, Just I Can Say It Is So Funny. I Have been reading Koran in Turkish for along time , I know its meaninig.Because of that everbody should  read Koran by their language. Read it in your language, understand what God told you and use, apply in your life !!!! This kind of stories are just nonsense.Be happy and healthy.Thanks

02:34 PM Sep 11 2008 |

Rahma MD

Rahma MD

Indonesia

Hi Lovely Sara!

("Son, that's what happens when you read the Qur'an. You might not understand or remember everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out. That is the work of Allah in our lives." )

I agree with your story 100% :)

Al-Qur'an is a miracle from God. By reciting it everyday, we'll get something new inside and outside, except the rewards of course, Insya Allah :D

Hi Zeus 2006!

Al-Qur'an is not only a story. It's a guidance book for whole life. So,  I think it's really necessary to understand it. Like now, we learn English with special purposes that maybe various from one another. Why we who are not the native speaker want to spend a lot of time and money to study English? Maybe the reason is same, we absolutely know that English is important for now. Likewise we have to learn Arabic, coz it's our religion language. or at least we must have a desire to learn it :)

but i agree with u, for muslim who don't live in Arabic Country or their national language is not Arabic, like Indonesia, Turkey and others. We need Qur'an translation in our own language.but in my opinion it may not replace Qur'an which revealed in Arabic. We must be able to recite it well, although we don't understand the meaning yet.

Here, children (mostly) begin to study how to recite Qur'an in Arabic since they r 5 or 7 years old. So, when they grew up, they have been able to recite Qur'an. And to know the meaning, based on  my experience, After reciting Qur'an, we read the translation.

Surprised sorry…it becomes long. Just wanna share with u all :)

03:09 AM Sep 12 2008 |

zeus2006

zeus2006Super Member!

Turkey

Hi Rahma MD,

Thanks for your answer, you are so kind. If we don't understand, why we'll read something espacially Kur'an.We must understand and use all those rules in our life.Thanks your sharing. Be happy and Healthy. Zeus.

11:30 AM Sep 12 2008 |

amany7

amany7

Saudi Arabia

Zeus ..>> The translation is brought by ppl (human) but what we want is Allah's Actual words and you know through translation there is some lost in the meaning so you might have to learn Arabic to read the actual words and to understand it ,, & if you worked so hard to obey Allah you will have your reward …...Anyway I a gree with you If you don't understand it in Arabic read it in your language the most importany is the message it self not only reading without understanding ….

Thanks Allah I am Arabic hehehehe …..>>>Wink

07:42 AM Sep 13 2008 |

zeus2006

zeus2006Super Member!

Turkey

Yes Aman7, you are lucky. And Poor me Cry. Sometimes I think why I don't know all languages….... Ofcourse this just an utopian..

10:47 PM Sep 13 2008 |