Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

A question about sex

bud zhang

China

I have seen many movies and TV series of USA.People here is so open,they can sleep with a guy they just  know several hours before,and kiss almost everyone.I am just wondering don't you afraid of diseases? such as AIDS.

07:42 AM Sep 29 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

phamtran

phamtran

Viet Nam

Mr Condom is very good for you in any case

08:45 AM Sep 29 2008 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

Which culture is more paranoid? Chinese worry about contact with other people to avoid disease, yet products like cow's milk passes to millions with poison in it? The USA has better monitoring of food products, but it is true, many Americans are reckless regarding sex and intimacy. Though it is hard to paint either country with a broad brush, since there are just too many people in both places. People are still individuals.

Movies are fiction. You can rely on them being as close to the truth as News stories from Xinhua or FOX. Sometimes yes; sometimes no.

09:16 AM Sep 29 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

It's a matter of morality how many people u'll have sex with and not just fear of AIDS. And then, it's gotta do with personality, not ethnicity. I can assure you that I see tens of drunk Chinese women/girls behaving improperly in the streets of Athens, where I actually live.  (Don't take it bad, I'm not proud of the way some Bulgarian women act down here, either.)

Let me put it simple for you,  bud zhang.

It's not the number of sex partners that you've been with that puts you at risk of getting AIDS. It's the way you have sex and how well you and your partner protect yourselves.

Imagine this: You and your friend go for an AIDS test. You've slept with over 20 men and she's just had sex for the first time. Test results come out and you find out that your friend's got AIDS and you're completely clean.

How come? 

She didn't use a condom. 

Whose sex-life would you define as reckless? Your own or your friend's?

09:56 AM Sep 29 2008 |

vanilla_leaf

China

Yes,it is absolutely another big misunderstanding carried by exaggerated media,such as teleplays or movies due to the cultural segregation…

As a chinese girl ,I know clearly that when compared with many girls of the equal age ,in most situations,we are more conservative in our country,especially the attitude towards sex.However i also hear the truth that when these girls go abroad ,they would become open about it…i think it is mainly because of the different cultures and surroundings. People may change,however as long as this change wouldn't do harm to anybody,it is OK and acceptable.

11:54 AM Sep 29 2008 |

PMV

PMV

China

a very typical diversity between china and western.  here in china, i also can assure you many of us, no matter the youngs or olds had not been get well educated from sexology.  wherever you go or visit in china, sex could be a very inhibitive or serious topic to discuss publicly. 

without the leading sexual education in china, people possibly be curious physical contact when it comes to adult. and that is expected.

obviously, western is really advanced in sexology, that makes westerners absolutely know how  they can aviod from diseaze, virus. to some extent, can i say an advanced sexual understanding or sexology makes people keep morality?  cuz i think sexual education can never be a leading thing that may affect someone even during his or her childhood. which means, china now needs an advanced sexual education system, unlike before.

05:20 PM Sep 29 2008 |

good night cat

China

it is personal affairs, and do little with culture and nationality.

I agree with Vanilla leaf's opinion that the open attitude towards sex may be exagerated by mass media.

one of my friends living in America said that most of people in US are repugnant to casual and unstrained sex behavior, the actual condition does not like what movie dipicts.

in every country, there is always a small fraction of poeple in society who immorally indulge in sex promiscuity and I gess that their behaviors are due to psychological problem or mental disarrangement rather than extreme physiological needs. we could not castigate the values or cultures of a society by only judging a small group of its members, morbid members. they can not prepresent mainstream attitude of the society.

what's more, I do not think that one can always feel excited and passionate by jumping into bed with different girls. imagine, sex without love is no more than a boring mechanical movement. instead of passion, one may feel lost and emptiness.

05:24 PM Sep 29 2008 |

bud zhang

China

Firstly,I appreciate the replies of everyone .Now i know that maybe i'm too conservative and I forgot the function of condom(hope it turly useful at every time) . However,I'll still love American movies and TV series.Wink

10:50 AM Sep 30 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

I'm sure that bud zhang didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. it's totally OK to ask and look for answers. 

05:12 PM Sep 30 2008 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

AIDS is on the increase in China, it seems:

China's AIDS Epidemic Spreading Fast by Sex Contact, Study Says

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aVhQ53Eqid.g&refer=asia

12:44 PM Oct 02 2008 |

sousou88

sousou88

Algeria

you are right bud zhang  this is the truth ,the americans in their culture do every thing after marriage ( I mean the things which do just  when you are married ) and this is so dangerous , even if you go to USA you see these illegal actions by singles not just in tv. and this last I mean TV show to us the reality, the life and culture of his country.

02:44 PM Oct 02 2008 |