Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

A girl on the bus

Maggie_Guo

Maggie_Guo

China

Today I saw a beautiful girl on the bus who's sitting beside the door. The bus stopped and an old man with white hair came on. The bus was full of people, no sit for the poor man.

He's just standing near the girl, but she seemed not to stand up and give her sit for him. Till the conductor asked the crowd for a sit for the man, she still kept silent. Then another boy made the old man sit there.

In my eyes now the girl isn't beautiful any more, although she has milky skin and bright eyes. She's ugly and disgusting for me instead, because people is beautiful for their cute, not cute for their beauty, isn't  it?

01:43 AM Nov 07 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

endurereality

United States

I agree with you, thank you for sharing

02:57 AM Nov 07 2008 |

susuren

susuren

China

people is beautiful for their cute, not cute for their beauty,

but i dont like many old people in the rush time like7:00-8:00am.on the bus, 

03:41 AM Nov 07 2008 |

gery44

gery44

Austria

Good manners!?

I have been a busdriver for many years and I knew, in this situations desides only the character and not the appearance of a person.

I think it is quite natural to supply a sit or whatever to older or handicapped people.

Nice greetings from Austria

07:43 AM Nov 07 2008 |

zxlin

China

Yes,I agree with justic.Maybe the girl has a problem that keep her for staying on the seat.

08:23 AM Nov 07 2008 |

Maggie_Guo

Maggie_Guo

China

Yes I was thinking just like you guys, maybe the girl'd have a long term on the bus or other excuse. But I was wrong, she turned out to get down after a few of stops.

I don't want to be too judgemental, but her scrunched face for the old man really made me feel badUndecided

12:28 PM Nov 07 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

if i were the old man ,i wouldn't go in a bus where there is no empty seat.it has happened to me yesterday: an old  woman went in the  full bus.we wanted to give her our seat(me and a girl) and she refused,she said i shouldn't go in it and it's your right to preserve the seat.

may be the man was obliged and may be the girl has her own reasons.the whole situation is not clear enough to take the beauty out of the girl

01:02 PM Nov 07 2008 |

my_high_IQ

my_high_IQ

Azerbaijan

Yes,the whole situation is not clear enough to judge  them both. Also you said that another boy made the old man sit there and I wonder why that boy had not stood up at once but  was waiting for conductor to ask about it ?

Thank you, Maggie, finally we can discuss here something  different from religion subjects.

06:52 PM Nov 07 2008 |

PMV

PMV

China

wow, glad you think that way…now few people will do this and they think its very normal for not giving sit for old man. thats the fundamental morality we should keep on.

09:51 AM Nov 11 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

i agree that we have to have good manners and to care about old persons.it's a must.i was just analysing the situation.it's not fair we judge someone out of context and without having all the data.

i just never go in a bus without a seat and if i'm oblidged,i don't accept that a man stands and suffers while i sit in his plkace just because i'm a woman. 

12:03 PM Nov 11 2008 |